buttons for the Confederacy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• buttons for the Confederacy

As a relic hunter, I love finding buttons. They are my most favorite find. While messing around in the Official Records today I thought I'd look up what I could on these little "gems". One thing I am curious about is the lack of uniformity in regards to buttons. Some jackets seem to use Federal Buttons while others use civilian and then others using CS buttons. I guess it goes along with the uniforms themselves- use what material (in this case buttons) you have onhand. Does anyone have any records of the Depots ordering buttons from certain makers?? Alot of what I found seems to indicate a good deal of smuggling. Anyway here it goes:

1. MAJOR: I met with but small success in the way of clothing. Major Brinker informs me that no clothing for officers has arrived at Washington, Missouri, as we had heard. I got 592 yards of gray cloth for officers; it left here yesterday. I will get a few staff buttons.
    R.O. BOGGESS,
    [Captain and Assistant Quartermaster.]

2. MATAMORAS, January 22,1863.
    DEAR MARKS: We are still without any of yours; have written to
    you by every chance, and are anxiously waiting to her of your whereabouts, in order to act accordingly. In my last I mentioned to you of the Maja not being discharged yet, and since then nothing has been done, the weather having been very unsettled, so we have not yet received a package. Nevertheless we have made a sale to --- ---, amounting to $139,000, to be paid in -- on delivery of the goods, at the rate of 25 cents per pound. This invoice cost us about $36,000, delivered there, that is, across the river, and at Brownsville we receive the bales free of duty and expense. This is a splendid business.

We have also contracted with the same parties for the following articles, to be paid as above, with the same condition, of which particulars will be given to you by mail via Tampico or any other place that will offer:
    50,000 pairs heavy shoes, heavy brogans, assorted sizes.

50,000 pairs heavy blankets, gray preferred.

50,000 pairs heavy woolen socks.

50,000 pairs heavy cotton socks.

25,000 yards heavy gray cloth.
    20,000 yards heavy blue flannel.

2,500 sides harness leather.

2,500 sides sole leather.

2,500 pounds shoe thread.

2,500 pound flax thread, black and white.

Trimmings, linings, buckles, buttons, needles, &c.
    These articles will have to be bought, some in New York and the balance in Europe, but not knowing where you are, we hardly know where to direct this to you with any certainty; but at any rate buy some of these goods as quick as you can pick them up and forward them, no matter where this may find you. We shall wait to hear from you soon; if not, myself or Cam. will have to go and meet you, for these articles must be got for our friends; and besides this being an money-making business and safe. Besides the Maja's and Frederick's we will have in about ninety days at least 1,300 bales, and we will forward it as vessels will offer to Europe; so means will not be wanted.

This being sent by a friend to New Orleans I have no time to make any further explanations, but will do so via Havana and Tampico.

Yours,
    J. MARKS.

3. Jennie Smith, the person referred to in the above letter, was arrested in June, 1861, at the Relay House, and on searching her under garments a quantity of percussion caps and military buttons were found. She is represented to have been a violent secessionist and as having visited the rebel camps in Virginia. DEPARTMENT OF STATE, Washington, April 16, 1862

4. List of property found in the baggage of Rev. Mr. Wilmer, who was forwarded to Norfolk by flag of truce January 2, 1862.
    One hundred and seven spools of silk; 31 rolls of tape; 26 new white linen shirts; 48 pairs of boots, shoes and rubbers, nearly all new; 650 envelopes; 6 reams paper; 31 pairs socks; 2 gross steel pens; 15 pen-holders; 11 silk vest patterns; 2 silk dress patterns; 2 dozen handkerchiefs; 2 pieces silk; 25 gross buttons; 50 papers pins; 100 papers needles; 50 spools thread; 5 pieces gray woolen cloth; 1 piece (30 yards) white cotton cloth; 1 piece white flannel 10 pounds coffee; 50 pairs pants, part slightly worn.

5. CHICAGO, November 12, 1863.
    COLONEL: Your letter of the 8th instant is just received, and in reply I have to inform you that the clothing reported by you is such as is intended for issue to prisoners of war, but before the coats are issued the buttons should be taken off and the skirts cut short, so they may not be mistaken for our men. But for the present you will issue no clothing of any kind except in case of utmost necessity. So long as a prisoner has clothing upon him, however much torn, you must issue nothing to hi, nor must you allow him to receive clothing from any but members of his immediate family, and only when they are in absolute want.
    In reply to your letter of the 8th I have to say that the effects left by deceased prisoners of war will be taken possession of, the money and valuables to be reported to this office, and the clothing, if of any value, to be given to other prisoners who may require it. If the legal representatives of he deceased, being loyal, claim the money or other valuables, the claim with the proof will be forwarded to this office.
    Very respectfully, your obedient servant,

W. HOFFMAN,
    Colonel Third Infantry and Commissary-General of Prisoners.

6. BATESVILLE, ARK., January 23, 1864
    This man had in his charge a rebel mail from Saint Louis, Mo., together with a lot of medicines, clothing, gold lace, and buttons, all of which was, upon my return, turned over to the colonel commanding the district.

7. ATLANTA, GA., March 26, 1863
    Colonel A.C. MYERS,
    Quartermaster-General, Richmond, Va.:
    Contracts for supplies which I think reliable will produce as follows, by the 1st of April, 1864. I put down that on hand in a line next to its kind to be supplied:
    Military buttons on hand.......................gross... 2,700
    Military buttons to be delivered by 1st of April, 1864...

................................................do ...... . 5,000
    --------
    In all............................................... .. .. 7,700

8. FEBRUARY 1, 1863.
    My situation was this: I had lost all my property in Missouri. I have eight children there with my mother, by my first wife, who have been made destitute by the war. I had my wife and one child with me, and but $13 in my pocket, so it is not to be wondered at if I wanted to make something for their support, and while I have been taking cotton to market and selling it for both citizens and soldiers, I have been working out contraband articles of every kind for them and letting them go at Memphis prices. I will name some of the articles: Salt, domestics, soldier clothing, dress goods, cavalry boots, saddles, and horses, military buttons, gold lace, revolvers, caps and cartridges, medicines, &c. I have been spoken to how to bring out over a dozen revolvers and cavalry boots, hats, &c. , and shall take my wife and several others down with the in doing so.
    T. G. NEWBILL.

9. AJUTANT AND INSPECTOR GENERAL'S OFFICE, Montgomery, Ala., September 15, 1862.
    Major Joseph H. Bradford, assistant quatermaster, Alabama, will immediately proceed to Tennessee, for the purpose of purchasing blankts, shoes, woolen colth, hickory shirting, buttons, thread, and buckles for the State of Alabama, to be furnsihed to its troops in the armies of the Confederacy and State service; also for use of the indigent families of our volunteers. Major Bradford is invested with discretinatory authority to extend his purchases into Kentucky, if he can do so with advatage to the State.

and finally this from the regs:

GENERAL ORDERS,ADJT. AND INSP. GENERAL'S OFFICE, No. 9. * Richmond, Va., June 6, 1861.

UNIFORM AND DRESS OF THE ARMY.

BUTTONS.

13. For general officers and officers of the general staff, bright gilt, rounded at the edge, convex, raised eagle in the center, with stars surrounding it; large size, one inch in exterior diameter; small size, half an inch.

14. For officers of the Corps of Engineers, the same as for the general staff, except that, in place of the eagle and the stars, there will be a raised E in German text.

15. For officers of artillery, infantry, riflemen, and cavalry, gilt, convex, plain, with large, raised letter in the center-A for the artillery, I for the infantry, R for the riflemen, C for the cavalry; large size, seven-eighths of an inch in exterior diameter; small size, half an inch.

16. Aides-de-camp may wear the button of the general staff, or of their regiments or corps, at their option.

17. For enlisted men of artillery, yellow, convex, large, raised letter A in the center; three-quarters of an inch in exterior diameter.

18. For all other enlisted men, the same as for the artillery, except that the number of the regiment, in large figures, will be substituted for the letter A.

I have NEVER seen the buttons with number designations on CS buttons. I'm assuming that would have been a tremendous task that the qmaster was not up to.

Everett Taylor
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Re: buttons for the Confederacy

Where did you find quote No. 1? I found it interesting in that I live in Washington, Mo.

Charles D. Hoskins
    Charles D. Hoskins
    [URL="http://www.holmesbrigade.freeservers.com"]http://www.holmesbrigade.freeservers.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/"]http://http://starofthewestsociety.googlepages.com/[/URL]
    Member, Company of Military Historians
    Member, CWPT
    Washington Historical Society
    Board Member, MCWRA

Comment

All the quotes came out of the Official Records of the War of the Rebellion.
      everett Taylor
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Comment

Everett:

The Catalogue of Confederate Uniforms, published by the Museum of the Confederacy, lists the buttons on each uniform in the collection. While by no means a statistical sampling of all uniforms, it gives some darned helpful insight to the diversity.

Another consideration is the rarity of a particular button. There are a couple of excellent guides out there and they almost always include a rarity "score".

My ultimate source is D.P. Newton, proprietor of White Oak Museum in Stafford County, Virginia (just north-east of Fredericksburg). DP's survey of the button situiation for Confederate and Union troops might not be on the level of academic acceptance but, his no nonsense, common sense approach, developed through observation and deductive reasoning, is hard to challenge. Give him a call, if you want to know the straight answer. He loves to help folks. DP is just simply a great and very knowledgable guy.

[If you know DP or have been to his Museum, you know exactly of what I speak.]
        Ley Watson
        POC'R Boys Mess of the Columbia Rifles

[B][I]"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it."[/I][/B]

[I]Coach Lou Holtz[/I]

Comment

Several years ago, D. P. Newton told me, at least, that the preponderence of buttons he found in the CS camps around Fredericksburg were of the branch letter eagle variety, i.e., Eagle "I"s, "A"s, "D"s, etc. He made a specific point of noting that CS issue and state buttons were a very distinct minority. Just FYI.
          Bob Williams
          26th North Carolina Troops
          Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Everett:

Great post. I'm always happy when someone posts primary source info. Thanks!

If you ever get to Northern VA, I'd take Ley and Bob up on thier suggestion and visit DP Newton's museum, if you're a button dude or relic hunter, you'll fall in love with his place.
            [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Of particular value, in addition to the mind boggling relic collection mostly of Federal origin, are the superb maps that D.P. prepared showing the many varied regimental, brigade and divisional camps around Falmouth, Stafford Co., and Acquia Creek. They document in detail hut sites, sinks, firing ranges, plus relics found etc. He is quite an accomplished amateur mapmaker and these are professional quality cartographer stuff. These are not on general display (or at least weren't) but I believe he will let you see them if you ask. This place is a time capsule.
              Bob Williams
              26th North Carolina Troops
              Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Re: Cavalry buttons??

Greetings Pards,

Digging up an old thread..
                My question; Did it matter what type of button was issued with the different Depot jackets specific to the branch assigned the issuee?
                Was it possibly a case of whatever you were handed was available at that time?
                I have a beautiful RD II.5, (Ramsey jacket) made by C. Daley that I bought off this forum that has Federal Eagle "I" buttons. Recently, I purchased an equally beautiful CD I made by C. Childs, again, off this forum that has Block "I" buttons.
                I'm a new member of the ONV that is currently developing both an E. and W. theater Confed Cavalry persona. Should I be searching for buttons more specific to an ANV and AoT trooper? All my research thus far has not been that detailed. I have searched far and wide without success.
                If this gentleman, D.J. Newton is approachable could I be supplied his contact info. A pm would be sufficient and any help would be greatly appreciated.
                My gut feeling is that it didn't matter and the Infantry buttons are perfectly acceptable for both jackets being worn in the Cavalry Arm.

I am, most respectfully,

Brian Y. Mikels
                ONV
                [FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][B][FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"]Brian Y. Mikels[/SIZE][/FONT][/B][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE=3][FONT=Book Antiqua][B]"Das Paradies der Erde liegt auf den Rucken der Pferde."[/B][/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][B]"The Duck River Line-Winter 1863"[/B][/FONT][/SIZE] [FONT="Book Antiqua"][I]1, February 2009[/I][/FONT]
                [FONT="Book Antiqua"][I]Pvt. 2nd Tenn U.S. (Mounted Rifles)[/I][/FONT]
                [B][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE=2][/SIZE]"The Fight for Crampton's Gap"[/FONT][/B] [I][FONT="Book Antiqua"]16-18, July 2010[/FONT][/I]
                [FONT="Book Antiqua"][I]Pvt. Devaney Good, 2nd Vir Cav[/I][/FONT]
                [B][FONT=Book Antiqua]"The 2015 Lincoln Funeral Coalition"[/FONT][/B] [I][FONT=Book Antiqua]1-3, May 2015[/FONT][/I]
                [FONT=Book Antiqua][I]Brig. Gen. James A. Ekin, Honor Guard[/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                X