Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 24th Illinois uniforms/equipment

Greetings all,
    I posted a similar message on the Zabo's forum awhile back and got some feedback, but I thought I would check here too. Since Perryville is approaching and the battalion I will be serving with will most likely be portrayig the 24th Illinois - "those d- Dutchmen" - I was wondering if anyone had information on the uniforms and equipment the men had in the fall of '62. I have been to a website devoted to the 24th but it didn't help much though it did give some history on then unit and newspaper/first-hand accounts. I checked Arming the Suckers for a list of their weapons and was successful, but I still don't know exactly what the men wore. If anyone has images of men of the 24th or any information on their eqippage please let me know. Thanks a lot!

Sincerely,
    Matt Cassady
    Last edited by billmatt04; 09-16-2006, 01:05 PM.
    [B][COLOR=#0000CD]Matthew P. Cassady
    [/COLOR][/B]

Re: 24th Illinois uniforms/equipment

Here's a link for 24th Illinois Photos

There are some good images here, including one of Company G:

Your best bet would be to wear a Frock Coat and Forage Cap, like the guys above and very, very common for Illinois Troops to wear during this time frame. If you don't have a frock then wear a sack coat I suppose. It's a little too late for State Jackets.

Riley
    I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
    Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
    Hard Head Mess
    Prodigal Sons Mess, Co. B 36th Illinois Infantry
    Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Thanks Riley. Why would it be considered "too late" for a shell jacket? The 10th Illinois had them all the way up to Atlanta, so could it be possible that this item was still in use by the 24th (if they had even been issued to them in the first place)? Just food for thought.

Best,
      Matt Cassady

P.S. Is there any indication of the supply dates for the 24th? I just cannot seem to locate any regimental history for them.
      Last edited by billmatt04; 09-16-2006, 01:21 PM.
      [/COLOR][/B]

Comment

Click the link. If that doesn't work, try this.

Here's a link to other good research sites on the 24th Illinois:
        I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
        Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
        Hard Head Mess
        Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

Originally posted by theknapsack
          Click the link.
          Duh, thanks buddy. Talk about a brain-fart :)
          [/COLOR][/B]

Comment

Hot Dog! I just tracked down a copy of the regimental history at ISU's library! Thank goodness for I-Share!
            [/COLOR][/B]

Comment

Nice job! Look me up in the ONV company of the AOP there.
              I am, Yr. Ob't Servant,
              Riley Ewen

VMI CLASS OF 2012
              Hard Head Mess
              Old Northwest Volunteers

Comment

An oldie but a goodie.

This is from Todd's Vol. 2 American Military Equipage on state (Illinois BTW) Quartermaster General supplies. It notes that from April 26, 1861 to July 1862, "...the following items within the principal categories were purchased: 25,044 dress hats, and 9,080 brass figures and letters; 59,172 caps, 3,432 cap covers with capes (havelocks); 19,046 frock coats; 64,412 jackets; 11,072 blouses; 112,287 pairs of pants; 21,878 pairs of boots; 93,148 pairs of shoes; 72,866 overcoats; 95,967 woolen blankets; 20,637 enameled or rubber blankets; 35,223 knapsacks; 45,925 haversacks; 54,740 canteens."

And AME says, the state continued to order and issue clothing on its own at least through 1862, even after the Fed asked the state to turn over all property on hand in September 1862.

I'd be interested in hearing what that regimental has to say when you get a hold of it.

FWIW,
                John Pillers
                John Pillers
                Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

The Illinois State Quartermaster Records show 200 hats, 200 jackets and pants, for July of 1861, being issued. I have somewhere that they wore red caps when they left Chicago. After reading their history, just prior to Perryville they would have received their clothing from the Federal Quartermaster. Whether it was frocks or blouses, both, or hats or caps is right now an unknown. Tom Arliskas
                  Tom Arliskas

Comment

The History of the 24th Illinois Regiment is now available on Amazon. Type in amazon search, Burhop 24th Illinois. It has pictures of the officers and men including a picture of Company G. Private Paul Vogel of Company G is featured in book.

Comment

Working...
                    X