Info on ANV Jacket wanted.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info on ANV Jacket wanted.

I would appreciate some help concerning the outer thread/stitching on the EF Barnes jacket (1st Co Richmond Howitzers).
    Just a few simple questions!

1) What color would the thread have been originally?
    2) What color is the thread now?
    3) What type (size) of thread was used on the jacket?
    4) Is this or a similar thread type commercially available today and where from?

Any other background information on the jacket would be greatly appreciated. I was hoping to find a lot more information than I have on the internet.

Hope this is the correct forum/place for this item.

Thanks
    Ian Smith
    Ian Smith
    55th Virginia

"We think from the movments that there is something out [there] but we can tell what!" Thomas Hooper, Diary for
    27th December 1862@ Murfreesboro - Enlisted 1861, wounded at Perryville, Murfreesboro and Missionary Ridge, killed at Franklin.

Re: Info on ANV Jacket wanted.

sir,

I think this stuff would be good. I can not give a personal tesimony, it is just what I saw with a quick yahoo search.

thanks,
    Jurgitem Valetem
    Thanks,
    Patrick Skeese
    "[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="6"]Jurgitem Valetem[/SIZE][/FONT]"

Western Federal Blues

[url]www.westernfederalblues.org[/url]

[url]www.30thovi.com[/url]

[I]"Of all the words both tongue and pen, the saddest of all are what might have been.---[/I]

Comment

Ian,

Not to be a stickler, but I have not idea what the heck Mr. Valetem posted above. I see you're new here so as a pointer, only post information that is documented, PAH-LEESE! ;) The Mods and users will get on your case if you do not.

Recently got A Catalogue of Uniforms: In the Collection of the Museum of the Confederacy. You should look into getting it if you ever come down here to Richmond. Or I'm sure many other bookstores will have it as well.

"Jacket: single breasted. 9 button front, cadet gray wool kersey with no facings or piping, no shoulder straps or belt loops, unbleached cotton osnaburg lining in body and sleeves; no insignia or sleeve braid, Virginia state buttons with backmarks: SCOVILL MFG CO./ WATERBURY and SUPERIOR/QUALITY, New York state buttons with backmarks: GODDARD & BRO./ EXTRA and SCHUYLER H&C/ NEW YORK. 0985.13.71
      This is one of at least 14 known Richmond Depot Type III jackets" (12).

But as far as the thread goes, I could take some pictures for you when I get the chance and email them to you if you'd like. I will try and post a picture of the jacket on this thread, but my scanner isn't functioning. Drat!

Regards,

Jason
      Last edited by Shockoe Hill Cats; 10-25-2006, 12:39 PM.
      Jason C. Spellman
      Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Thanks Jason, that would be great.

Ian Smith
        Ian Smith
        55th Virginia

"We think from the movments that there is something out [there] but we can tell what!" Thomas Hooper, Diary for
        27th December 1862@ Murfreesboro - Enlisted 1861, wounded at Perryville, Murfreesboro and Missionary Ridge, killed at Franklin.

Comment

Maybe you should ask, is the thread an S, F or Z ?

Personally, I would not advise posting a pic of this jacket on the thread without permission of the MOC.

The Barnes Jacket is a very nice example of a late war RD III. It features two inside pockets, one from the factory and one patch pocket added as a field modification. The jacket lacks alot of topstitching and this follows a trend normally seen in late war garments. The thread is logwood that has not faded alot.

Regarding the diameter of the thread, as I discussed this with the curator this morning, How could you tell by looking at it ? Maybe take some samples of threads of different thicknesses and try comparing them to find the one closest to the original.
          Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
          PO BOX 4849
          Midlothian, VA 23112
          www.richmonddepot.com
          (804)305-2968

Comment

Hope I do not hijack the thread but does any one know the Time of issue of this Jacket? The Howitzer diary's I have read do not mention theses uniforms (unless I missed something).
            Last edited by reb290; 10-03-2007, 05:04 PM.
            [FONT="Georgia"][/FONT] Aaron Bolis
            1st. co. Richmond Howitzers

Comment

I would suggest that you contact either the State or National Archives and order copies of Barnes service records. There may be a mention of uniform issue there.
              Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
              PO BOX 4849
              Midlothian, VA 23112
              www.richmonddepot.com
              (804)305-2968

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Depot View Post
                The thread is logwood that has not faded alot..
                Scott, what is yer take on "logwood thread"? now Ive heard two storys, that it was orginally the same color as the garment/off white, OR that it is/was as it appears now when ya order a spool of logwood.. that is a dark brown/to blackish..the unifortms we view now have to some extent er other oxidized , so, what makes a 'good' logwood thread color?
                Gary Mitchell
                2nd Va. Cavalry Co. C
                Stuart's horse artillery

Comment

That is a hard question to answer. It would obviously depend on what type of mordant ( if any ) was used in the pre dyeing process.

When I make my own Logwood thread I use an Iron mordant. Mixing in the Iron mordant gives the thread a grey color. If you use a different mordant, you could easily end up with a groovy shade of purple, silver, violet, gray or even black.

It's also plausible to see off white that has patinaed to a khaki color or a Logwood that has patinaed to a shade of brown.

The color shades can be adjusted during the dye bath from lighter to darker.

As far as actually matching the color of the fabric being sewn, it would be ideal, but not practical given the variety of greys used in the south.
                  Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
                  PO BOX 4849
                  Midlothian, VA 23112
                  www.richmonddepot.com
                  (804)305-2968

Comment

Working...
                  X