Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: '61 -'65 U.S. Marine Impression?

Originally Posted by marine05
    Also the reference in a preceding post concerning the use of "Master", well, it is accepted for Marine Corps junior officers aboard Naval vessels to be referred to as Mister, the old Navy had a rank of Master as in Sailing Master. As near as I can figure it was a sort of Warrant Rank, not senior to a Midshipman, but still sort of technically senior.

CSMC Marines successfully defended Drurys (sp) Bluff on the approach to Richmond, sinking Union gunboats and sharpshooting that the Navy was forced to withdraw.

s/f

DJM

Just thought I could clear this up a bit. The rank of Master is a uniquely Navy rank. It is NOT a warrent rank. The Navy had warrents, Bo's'un, Gunner, Carpenter and Clerk.

The rank of Master, at the time of the ACW fit between Passed Midshipman/Ensign and Leutinent. It was roughly equal to a First LT. in the Army or Marines. However, it was not part of an officers progression in rank, but an almost seperate class of officer.

Like the regular Armmy, Naval officers came from the academy. There were of course wartime "Acting" or "Volunteer" officers, like in the the Army. Masters were men who had long service and proven ability.

The Navy was a very class conssious organization. In the Antibellum Navy, it was not considered proper for an officer (and a Gentalman) to speak directly to an enlisted Sailor. Sailors were reguarded as nothing more than pieces of ships equipment, needed to operate the ship. Officers were taught to think of them as the dregs of society, scum of the earth and the sweepings of the waterfront taverns. And, in many cases they were not far from the truth.

Any way, this is were the Masters come in. They were not "Academy Officers', there fore they were able to speak directly with the Sailors. Many had been Sailors and "came up through the Fo'cs'el" as the saying went. Others were former Merchant officers and some during the war were former academy midshipmen who had "bilged out" and were offered commissions as Masters to get some use out of the training they already had.

Officers could give orders , directing the Bos'un's Mate to call all hands to quarters and such, but if there were issues with the crew that needed addressing it was felt that it was unbecomming of an officer to concern himself with such things. The Master was the go between. Masters could and often were detailed off with a small party of Sailors for landing parties or prize crews.

The Civil War taught the lesson to many new young officers that they needed to deal directly with their men. They saw that it was simply a much more efficent way to do business, and that by listening to their men (many who had years of experience at sea things worked better. They also noticed that Army Company grade officers worked closely with their senior enlisted men and it seemed to work.

The last Master was retired in 1879. The rank of Master was dropped and turned into the rank of Leutinent Junior Grade (LTJG).

I know this subject was pretty much closed, but I thought it may be of interest to some. The Navy is misunderstood by most living historians and therefore dismissed. And I must admit that the majority of Naval impressions out there are simply horrible and based on mythology. Research into this can be tricky since there are few hard and fast rules and regs in the Navy and many Commanding Officers made thing up as they went along. Some creating a set of enlisted rank titles and insignia for their ship only. This ability of COs to change things as they wish from ship to ship really throughs confussion into groups that are trying to get it right.

Thank you and please excuse the spelling.
    Steve Hesson

Comment

If you've got a couple of grand to spare, Cowan's Auctions is offering a USMC kepi on eBay:

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
      Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I really dont know how Authentic these guys are, but here is the link for the Washington Civil War Assoc. USS Tahoma Marines. http://www.wcwa.net/TahomaMarinesWeb...ome%20page.htm
        Erik Brandenburger
        aka Pvt. Henry Boozer
        20th Maine Co. F

Comment

Originally posted by 20thmainer View Post
          I really dont know how Authentic these guys are, but here is the link for the Washington Civil War Assoc. USS Tahoma Marines. http://www.wcwa.net/TahomaMarinesWeb...ome%20page.htm
          A couple of things to consider when trying to determine if a unit is authentic minded or not.

1. What historical provenance do they reference when listing the actual Uniform and equipment list for the unit? (Especially when th eunit is protraying a specialty impression)

2. Does it allow Women in the ranks of the military unit?

3. What Sutlers does it list as providers of their uniforms? (are those sutlers known to pay particular attention to their items with specific consideration given to historical accuracy in it's construction ie. material, method and pattern?)

A quick glance at this units website, and I am not comfortable in answering any of the three questions listed above, and in a positive manner.
          Brian Hicks
          Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Comment

as a former Marine I too have taken on the impression. The biggest help I had was calling the new Marine Corps Mueseum and asking them for help. I was sent photo copies of pictures and Offical documents to help put together my impression. A little tip the Marine Uniform is not just 1861 - 1865 The uniform was the same a few years prior and a few years post war as well so you can use the same for early mid late etc.. impressions.
            Drew Ingram
            7th NJ CO A
            2nd Battalion
            6th Marines
            WIA: FALLUJAH, IRAQ

Comment

As a member of the West Coast Regional division of the USMCHC we recently put on a display at Huntington Beach that was very well recieved and attempted to illustrate the variety of MC uniforms used during the period. My uniform seemed to baffle the most folks, as I wore the M1852 Winter Fatigue uniform (as worn at Harper's Ferry) which is very similar to the Army's Mex. War uniform. The rest of our outfit wore variations on the wartime uniforms.

Hardcores, mainstream folks, and the publin in general were very receptive to this display.

Sam Kilborn Dolan
              Samuel K. Dolan
              1st Texas Infantry
              SUVCW

Comment

Here is the web site to the Marine Corps museum in Qauntico Va.

They are more than happy to help anyone.

Semper Fi,

Don Woods
                GySgt/USMC
                Don Woods
                Member ABT

Comment

Originally posted by Major Dad View Post
                  I even found a defarbed 1861 Springfield with bayonet with the correct US Marines markings. White leather is difficult but available.

Semper Fi
                  Major Dad
                  What does this look like? The "correct US Marines markings" that is. Im collecting my Marine Corps uniform and equip. and havent come across this yet.

--Lawrence Perreira
                  American by birth, Marine by choice.

--Lawrence Perreira

Comment

Working...
                  X