Quartermaster Records for 2nd US Cav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quartermaster Records for 2nd US Cav

Hello, I am trying to locate the Quartermaster records for Co. A and Co. E of the 2nd US Cavalry throughout the war. If anyone knows if and where these exist I would greatly appreciate being pointed to the source.

Thanks!!
    Dave
    Dave Gink
    2nd US Cavalry
    West Bend, WI

Re: Quartermaster Records for 2nd US Cav

Dave,

If those records still exist, they would be in the National Archives. From my understanding, the QM records are unorganized and difficult to go through.
    Scott Cross
    "Old and in the Way"

Comment

Originally posted by ScottCross View Post
      Dave,

If those records still exist, they would be in the National Archives. From my understanding, the QM records are unorganized and difficult to go through.
      Thanks Scott!
      I was hoping somewhere along the road and after all this time someone with a historical interest may have organized them. I can imagine what a mess they would be in however.

I'll check with the National Archives. If I discover anything interesting I will report back.

Thanks again!!
      Dave
      Dave Gink
      2nd US Cavalry
      West Bend, WI

Comment

Dave,

What kind of information are you seeking?

I have National Archives microfilm of the quarterly ordnance reports that list weapons and horse equipments (down to the level of links and sabre knots). The reports are a bit spotty, basically extending from Dec. 1862 to Sept. 1864. They do not include clothing issues.

When I have time I could check those two companies for you if you want.

I see you are considering the comparative merits of the 1840 and 1860 sabres. The ordnance reports would confirm which is appropriate--the 1840s lasted much longer throughout the cavalry than you might expect. Because the 1st Maine (and other units I'm interested in) frequently carried "wristbreakers," I got one of those. There isn't much choice for that model. I got a Legendary Arms one and had Tom Nardi at Sword Restoration Services put a correct grip on it and remove the INDIA from the blade. He thought the blade and hilt were pretty well done. During the preservation march and skirmish at Unison, Virginia, last weekend I had a chance to put it to real use in a couple of dust-ups with the Valley Light Horse. Those fellows are experienced swordsmen, as my blade now shows. I found the 1840 grip a little awkward as it is smaller around and more tapered than the 1860 grip. However, the heft of the blade is a benefit.

Anyway, I hope this helps, and that any of you serious federal cavalrymen will come ride with us in Virginia someday.

Andrew German
        Andrew German

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew German View Post
          Dave,

What kind of information are you seeking?

I have National Archives microfilm of the quarterly ordnance reports that list weapons and horse equipments (down to the level of links and sabre knots). The reports are a bit spotty, basically extending from Dec. 1862 to Sept. 1864. They do not include clothing issues.

When I have time I could check those two companies for you if you want.

I see you are considering the comparative merits of the 1840 and 1860 sabres. The ordnance reports would confirm which is appropriate--the 1840s lasted much longer throughout the cavalry than you might expect. Because the 1st Maine (and other units I'm interested in) frequently carried "wristbreakers," I got one of those. There isn't much choice for that model. I got a Legendary Arms one and had Tom Nardi at Sword Restoration Services put a correct grip on it and remove the INDIA from the blade. He thought the blade and hilt were pretty well done. During the preservation march and skirmish at Unison, Virginia, last weekend I had a chance to put it to real use in a couple of dust-ups with the Valley Light Horse. Those fellows are experienced swordsmen, as my blade now shows. I found the 1840 grip a little awkward as it is smaller around and more tapered than the 1860 grip. However, the heft of the blade is a benefit.

Anyway, I hope this helps, and that any of you serious federal cavalrymen will come ride with us in Virginia someday.

Andrew German
          Andrew, That sounds like an excellent source and I would be extremely grateful!! I wrote the National Archives this afternoon but I'm not sure what or when I'll hear back. And you hit it on the head, I am indeed searching to confirm which saber was in greater use and at what points during the war with Company's A and E of the 2nd US. I had read that they were primarily issued the M1860 throughout the war, but wanted to verify it through official records if possible before making my final choice.

Interestingly, I considered doing what you did and going with a Legendary Arms saber and then getting the Tom Nardi upgrade, but then I found out he can put together complete sabers. I have a very cheap 1860 now that wouldn't be worth considering for the upgrade. I'm also looking into getting one from US Sword & Uniform. I'll end up comparing all the options after I can gather the info.

It would indeed be a thrill to come out and ride in your neck of the woods. Back this past August I had been invited to join with the 1st Maine this past weekend in Virginia, but unfortunately I already had plans for the weekend. I am really hoping things will work out at some point for next season though.

Again, Thanks Andrew!!!
          Cheers,
          Dave
          Dave Gink
          2nd US Cavalry
          West Bend, WI

Comment

Hello Dave,

I had a chance to scan through the ordnance microfilm today. Here's a quick report:

Co. A
            Dec. 1862
            87 Sharps
            9 Colt .44s
            10 model 1860 light sabres
            95 sabre knots, saddles, links, lariats, picket pins, etc.
            93 pr. spurs

March 1863
            71 Sharps
            83 Colt .44
            69 light sabres

June 1863
            62 Sharps
            77 Colt .44s.
            63 light sabres

September 1863, no listing
            December 1863, no listing

March 1864
            36 Sharps
            49 Colt .44s
            46 light sabres, with knots
            44 saddles

June 1864
            17 Sharps
            19 Colt .44s
            19 light sabres

September 1864
            6 Sharps
            7 Colt .44s
            7 light sabres
            5 saddles

Co. E
            December 1862
            34 unspecified rifles
            41 unspecified revolvers
            39 light sabres
            39 saddles

March 1863
            47 Sharps
            3 Smiths
            77 Colt .44s
            62 light sabres

June 1863
            27 Sharps
            42 Colt .44s
            27 light sabres

September 1863
            14 Sharps
            54 Colt .44s
            31 light sabres

December 1863
            13 Sharps
            41 Colt .44s
            17 light sabres

March 1864
            6 Sharps
            31 Colt .44s
            11 light sabres
            25 saddles

June 1864
            11 Sharps
            21 Colt .44s
            13 light sabres
            20 saddles

September 1864, no listing

So you can see that the model 1860 light sabre is your only choice, as well as a Colt .44 and a Sharps carbine, although many troopers did not have all three weapons. Hope this helps.

Andrew German
            Andrew German

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew German View Post
              Hello Dave,

I had a chance to scan through the ordnance microfilm today. Here's a quick report:

Co. A
              Dec. 1862
              87 Sharps
              9 Colt .44s
              10 model 1860 light sabres
              95 sabre knots, saddles, links, lariats, picket pins, etc.
              93 pr. spurs

March 1863
              71 Sharps
              83 Colt .44
              69 light sabres

June 1863
              62 Sharps
              77 Colt .44s.
              63 light sabres

September 1863, no listing
              December 1863, no listing

March 1864
              36 Sharps
              49 Colt .44s
              46 light sabres, with knots
              44 saddles

June 1864
              17 Sharps
              19 Colt .44s
              19 light sabres

September 1864
              6 Sharps
              7 Colt .44s
              7 light sabres
              5 saddles

Co. E
              December 1862
              34 unspecified rifles
              41 unspecified revolvers
              39 light sabres
              39 saddles

March 1863
              47 Sharps
              3 Smiths
              77 Colt .44s
              62 light sabres

June 1863
              27 Sharps
              42 Colt .44s
              27 light sabres

September 1863
              14 Sharps
              54 Colt .44s
              31 light sabres

December 1863
              13 Sharps
              41 Colt .44s
              17 light sabres

March 1864
              6 Sharps
              31 Colt .44s
              11 light sabres
              25 saddles

June 1864
              11 Sharps
              21 Colt .44s
              13 light sabres
              20 saddles

September 1864, no listing

So you can see that the model 1860 light sabre is your only choice, as well as a Colt .44 and a Sharps carbine, although many troopers did not have all three weapons. Hope this helps.

Andrew German
              Andrew, Thanks!!!! That is fantastic information and just what I was looking for!! I really appreciate you taking the time to search that information out for me. I will share this with the rest of my group. And fortunately that is exactly what I carry.

Cheers,
              Dave
              Dave Gink
              2nd US Cavalry
              West Bend, WI

Comment

Greetings,

Someone took offense at my use of the term "Model 1860" to qualify the light sabre designation in the ordnance reports. If I implied that I was quoting directly from the records I'm sorry; I was abstracting and interpreting in the context of the discussion. The sabre designations on the ordnance forms are "heavy" and "light."

For those of you who want to do your own research in cavalry ordnance reports, the sources can be ordered from the National Archives as 1281, rolls 2 and 3.

Andrew German
                Andrew German

Comment

No offense taken...

Just to set the record straight: When I read Andrew German's laundry list of weaponry purportedly being cited directly from NARS microfilm and saw a reference to "model 1860 light sabres," I PMed him to see if that was indeed the terminology used in the original document. If so, this would have constituted the first such reference to that nomenclature I have seen in over 30 years of cavalry-related research (but there's a first time for everything, so...). It wasn't a challenge--merely an honest question. Andrew responded that he had in fact taken the liberty of adding the "model 1860" to the reference. No worries. I did indeed suggest that for the enlightenment of all concerned he should post a clarification. When no such post was forthcoming, I nudged him privately again...

I wasn't "offended" by the misstep, but I certainly do feel that we must guard against this kind of inadvertant reinforcement of "reenactor mythology"--particularly in a forum that prides itself in more accurate, informed and documented discourse.

And by the way, Mr. German's closing comment: "So you can see that the model 1860 light sabre is your only choice, as well as a Colt .44 and a Sharps carbine, although many troopers did not have all three weapons" is also misleading. If the document in question was a REQUISITION for the weapons necessary to complete the arming deficiencies of the organizations in question, the weapons requested may or may not have been supplied (Andrew doesn't make this clear); further, this tells us NOTHING about the armament of the remaider of the the rank & file in the respective organizations at the specific dates cited. If he is in possession of additional evidence that would shed more light on this, then bring it on! But it would take more documentation than that cited to conclude: "that the model 1860 light sabre is your only choice, as well as a Colt .44 and a Sharps carbine." In all honesty, I'm not trying to start an argument (in fact, I have the greatest respect for Andrew's continuing research in primary records), but I feel we should be exceedingly vigilant not to distort the historical record in our effort to inform and educate.

Respectfully submitted,
                  [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3][B]Aden Nichols
                  [/B][/SIZE][SIZE=2]"Great spirits have always experienced violent opposition from mediocre minds." Albert Einstein[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

They were using Enfields when they came out West in 1866. Those show up on ordnance returns from Posts out here in the west. That is quite surprising for a Regular Cavalry unit in my opinion.
                    They swapped them out for the 11th Ohio's Spencers as they came across the plains.
                    Martin
                    Last edited by whitewashedreb; 11-10-2006, 10:38 PM. Reason: Better quality info
                    Martin Kinney
                    Western Nebraska

Comment

I'm looking for what type(s) of tentage Company A was issued. Where could I find it? The reports listed don't mention tents.

John Coldiron
                      2nd US Cav Co A / 9th VA Cav Co D

Comment

John,
                        For what period of the war are you looking? You'd have to look at quarterly returns, which can be gotten through the National Archives, but if you're talking any period of active campaigning through the war, I'd bet you $20 that they were issued no tents, other than a shelter half per man.

Take care,
                        Tom Craig
                        1st Maine Cavalry
                        Tom Craig

Comment

Working...
                        X