Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Machinestitching- Question

Hallo Kameraden,
    i have a Question about Machine- Stitching. What is about the end. In our days you stitch back and forward and cut the thread. But what was done in civilwar days. (my mother had an old machine(over 90 yearsold),that couldnt stich backward.There are two different things i can do: stitching " backwards" by turning the fabric, or to do the job by handsewing. What is correct, or is there an other thing to finish it?
    Christof Bastert a.k.a Charles Kaiser, Private,
    Co D, 17th Mo Vol Inf (Re)

In Memory of Anthony and Joseph Schaer,
    Borlands Regiment/ 62nd Ark. Militia/Adams Inf./Cokes Inf.

German Mess

Re: Machinestitching- Question

Originally posted by Charles Kaiser View Post
    Hallo Kameraden,
    i have a Question about Machine- Stitching. What is about the end. In our days you stitch back and forward and cut the thread. But what was done in civilwar days. (my mother had an old machine(over 90 yearsold),that couldnt stich backward.There are two different things i can do: stitching " backwards" by turning the fabric, or to do the job by handsewing. What is correct, or is there an other thing to finish it?
    Good question Christof.

In original garments I've seen one of three things:

1) Nothing: Basicially at the end of a seam, they do nothing in the hopes that at somepoint another seam will secure or lock the last few stitches.

2) Hand finish the seam: At the end of a seam the tailor would thread the bobbin and top threads through a hand needle and either finish it off with a few stitches or a knot or both.

3) Use the machine: Since period machines didn't have a 'reverse' the tailor/seamstress would sew the seam to the end, lift the presser foot and move the seam an inch, then go over the seam again to lock the threads.
    [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Hello Christopher,
      thats a good answer:wink_smil .
      Thank you for your fast answer, my Question is now complete answered.

German Mess

Comment

the way I was taught was to pull on the bottom or bobin thread which will pull a small loop of the top thread through. then hen pick or pull the top thread the rest of the way through and tie them off.

at least that was how my G.Grandmother taught me on her old treadle machine.

Catherine Kelly
        Catherine L. Kelly
        Delaware

Comment

Christof,

I've made about 450 garments using an original 1870s treadle machine and on all of them at the end of the seam I have simply lifted the presser foot and gone back about five stitches and run over it again. As Chris said this is evident in many original garments and has always worked for me. Occasionally I will even use this method every six inches or so on high stress seams such as trouser seats. I hope this helps!

Best Regards,
          Dan Wambaugh
          Wambaugh, White, & Company
          www.wwandcompany.com
          517-303-3609
          Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Hallo Kameraden,
            another Question about Maschine Stitching to the experts:
            how many stizches per Inch are most common? I visit a second hand market, and examined some old linen bed covers and tablecloth. I recognized, that the stitches are very narrow, I think the width was about 1/10 Inch. another Question is , by stitching with an old maschine, i think the seam is mostly equal., or does the with of the stichtes diffe, because of the "hand " action. what's about when you came from to layers of fabrich to four ? I think the transpoteur of the old maschines was not so strong in former Times, and so the stichtes get nearer together.
            Has someone Photos from old seams when the layers of fabric wil be more?
            I hope that I can let you understand my "problem", if not , write to me!

German Mess

Comment

Working...
            X