Color Sgt. Chevron

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Color Sgt. Chevron

Greetings all, I was looking to make a pair of Color Sgt. Chevrons, crossed flags. Does anyone have a pix of them or a image of someone wearing them? Any help would be great. Thanks, Art
    Art Stone
    13th N.J.V.
    Co."K"
    " Rally, Boys Rally"
    Last order from Cpt. H.C. Irish at Antietam

Re: Color Sgt. Chevron

Art,

The color sergeant wears three stripes, just like other sergeants. There is no flag above the chevrons for the color sergeant.

Since these are just the normal stripes, if you don't want to make them, vendors such as Wambaugh, Daley and others will have them for reasonable prices. All of these folks can be found under the "approved vendors" link at the top of the pages.

Hope this helps. I'm sorry I don't have a paragraph reference handy as my US regs are at another building but there is a section on chevrons in the uniform section that I would encourage you to check out.

Good luck.

Will
    Will Eichler

Member, Company of Military Historians
    Saginaw City Light Infantry
    Hubbard Winsor Lodge #420
    Stony Creek Lodge #5

Civil War Digital Digest
    http://civilwardigitaldigest.com/

Historic Fort Wayne Coalition
    www.historicfortwaynecoalition.com

Comment

Art -

As Will suggested, the designated Color Sergeant isn't supposed to wear anything special. There are surviving examples of the crossed flags, but for the sake of practicality and for the dearth of period images showing them, they were likely exceedingly rare for use in the field. Besides, who other than one of those specific "carried the flag in all of our engagements" guys would really have the time or inclination to purchase and attach them?

This is the set that's in the 69th Regiment armory, which I'm sure you've seen.
      Attached Files
      Marc A. Hermann
      Liberty Rifles.
      MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
      Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

The image on page 282 in the Union Echoes of Glory shows the color guard of the 63rd Pa. The color sergeant is wearing only crossed flags, no other chevrons at all. Notice all the other NCO's have light chevrons. He also carries an officers' sword. The image can be tentativly dated to the summer of 1862, as the corporal second from the right is carrying a Lorenz, the 63rd's issue weapon. The others carry Springfields or Richmond rifle muskets. The 63rd replaced many of the Austrians with battlefield pickups on the Peninsula, and Alex Hays was badly wounded at 2nd Manassas. The image probably was taken at Alexandria as the III Corps was heading to reinforce Pope, as the men carry a mix of weapons and Hays is still in command of the regiment. So this image can be narrowed to after the Peninsula but before Manassas. This is about as close as an "in the field" image as you can get.
        Eric Alan Wisbith
        63d P.V./ Yard Apes Mess

Comment

Marc & Will, Yes i have seen the flags in the 69th Armory, And have taken pix of them. BJ Zerkle of Texas as sent me the gold bullion to do this project. I have an extra frock that I'm going to set up for Color Sgt. I also have Seaklea Chevron's. I made a pear already but think there alittle to big. I wanted to see if i can get the right size for them. Any help would be great!
          Art Ps Thanks Eric i will check it out!
          Art Stone
          13th N.J.V.
          Co."K"
          " Rally, Boys Rally"

Comment

Art,
            Interesting discussion. For an image of Sam Bloomer, the 1st Minnesotas' color bearer from June-Sept,1862 go to the link provided. The site is dedicated to the original 1st Minnesota Vol. Infty. Enjoy.

Rob Murray
            Last edited by Rob Murray; 12-22-2006, 02:44 PM. Reason: link didn't work
            Rob Murray

Comment

1/SGT, Our friend Joe Bilby's "Thrre Rousing Cheers,History of the 15th NJ" shows a photo of Sgt Edwin Ulmer prior to his ghastly wounds as a Color Corporal.The chevrons utilize the star and are dated between 8/62 and 6/64 when he was promoted to SGT. Your messmate, Bud Scully 13th NJ Co.K Mess.....Malooooon's Boys
              Bud Scully 13th NJ Co.K Mess and 69th NY (N-SSA)

Comment

Sgt. Scully, Thanks for the info! I'll have to get with you though, because i don't own that book. Shame on me. Your Pard, Art:(
                Art Stone
                13th N.J.V.
                Co."K"
                " Rally, Boys Rally"

Comment

Here is the link to the picture of Sam Bloomer Color Bearer of the 1st Minnesota from June-Sept,1862.
                  As Rob stated you will notice his stars above his strips.

http://collections.mnhs.org/visualre...archType=Basic
                  Joe Beedle

http://www.2ndminnesota.com

http://thesheepfarm.org

Comment

Originally posted by JEBminnesota View Post
                    Here is the link to the picture of Sam Bloomer Color Bearer of the 1st Minnesota from June-Sept,1862.
                    As Rob stated you will notice his stars above his strips.

http://collections.mnhs.org/visualre...archType=Basic
                    Joe I have a copy of this photo and the stars almost look like they are scratched on to the image vice actually on his uniform sleeves...or perhaps applied with chalk or something. Note how fuzzy they are.
                    Last edited by DougCooper; 12-22-2006, 11:59 PM.
                    Soli Deo Gloria
                    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Hi gents,

I would generally agree with Marc that in many cases, the color sergeant did not wear anything different than most other sergeants to signify his position. However there are documented instances like the fine pic Rob and Joe have pointed out that do show this.

As with most things, research the regiment that is being portrayed and do not just wear a solid or hollow star to signify a color sergeant. Many units did not subsribe to this extra rank insignia on thier sleeve for the color sergeant. Also those regiments that did in many cases ceased wearing this extra insignia as the war progressed and long campaigns would be another red flag for ommitting the extra rank insignia.

Another source of some fine photos of color sergeants wearing either a solid or hollow star above the typical sergeants cheveron can be found in Miliatry Images January/February 2001 edition.

Best Regards,
                      Tom Klas
                      Hard Head Mess
                      Citizens Guard

Comment

Art, Just to throw in my 2 cents. We have an image of one of the color Sgt's in the 6th NH and he dons two white stars above the typical Sgt chevron. They appear to be white. I will see if I can get a scan for you to look at.

We have a member that has long carried the colors and we choose to honor him this year with the image as well as the two stars for his uniform. Pretty cool stuff. Good thread!

YOS
                        R.C.Tarbox
                        [COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Sgt.R.C.Tarbox
                        6thNHVI
                        Bully Sixth

"Don't you run till you see the Sixth New Hampshire run; but when you see that regi-ment retreating, you may do likewise." (officer of a Regiment fighting with the Sixth at Bull Run)

{History of the Sixth New Hampshire Regiment in the War for the Union
                        Captain Lyman Jackman}[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=SlateGray]5th VA. Company D
                        Southern Guard[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Gent's, I know it wasn't the norm for the Color guard Sgt. to be wearing the star or crossed flags. Those men usully didn't last very long, just as the " Barn door gunner" didn't. Sticking out like a sore thumb.
                          But I've seen a few chezzzzzzy ones on the field made by an embroidery machine and I thought I'd make a pair that looked right. I think it would make for a good impression. I could put up a pretty good fight for the colors!
                          Art
                          Art Stone
                          13th N.J.V.
                          Co."K"
                          " Rally, Boys Rally"

Comment

Doug,
                            I have never seen the original image. I have always thought, along with other members of the 1st Minn. that the stars were white flannel, which could explain the fuzziness. I will be going to the M.H.S. to do some research on the 2nd Minn. and the battle of Mill Springs, when there I will see if I can get a gander at the original.

Tom,
                            I agree with you about researching the individual unit you plan on portraying. As stated in the above posts, there was nothing in the Regs. about this, though I find it interesting more than one unit used a downward pointing star. Could this be a Volunteer vs. Regular issue? Could it be "customs of service"? The first 3 Cols. of the 1st Minn. were all Old Army, West Point grads and Mexican War vets, so I don't think they would just pull something like this out of their proverbial hats.

Rob Murray
                            Rob Murray

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
                              Joe I have a copy of this photo and the stars almost look like they are scratched on to the image vice actually on his uniform sleeves...or perhaps applied with chalk or something. Note how fuzzy they are.

That is an interesting observation.
                              These photos are sometimes hard to make out because of the clarity and the fact that they are old doesn’t help much either.
                              If they only had digital cameras.

We have to remember that the color sergeant was a top honor to receive in the regiment since he was selected by the colonel. It seems that some of these men wanted stand out from the other sergeants in the regiment with adding a star or cross flags above their chevrons.

Good discussion,
                              Joe Beedle

http://www.2ndminnesota.com

http://thesheepfarm.org

Comment

Working...
                              X