Great early war View

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great early war View

From the LOC catalog, this enlargement provides a candid view of Federal Zouaves in the field, in this case men of the 96th Pennsylvania around Centreville, VA. Merry Christmas.
    Last edited by roundshot; 04-28-2007, 02:35 PM.
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Re: Great early war View

Great picture, do they all have same rifle? Looks like a Springfiled...'61?

Comment

look more like the lorenz to me.
      Michael J. Godwin

Comment

I'd agree that the men on the right look to be carrying lorenz's. To me, it looks like the man on the far left in the frock coat is carrying a musket, maybe 1842.
        Patrick Flint

Comment

Wow, where did you find such an amazing image? I noticed the one guy with a large haversack, and the men are also being allowed to wear accoutrements with the jacked unbuttoned, even in the presence of an officer.

Comment

These men are of the 95th PVI (vice 96th) Gosline's Zouaves. They appear to be wearing standard forage caps instead of the fancy kepi's that were issued at one time or another. Bob what is the date on this photo? A fantastic image to be sure. Thanks!!
            Soli Deo Gloria
            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

This image, and others from the series, are dated March, 1862.

Leather gaiters abound, including one pair that isn't being worn.
              Attached Files
              Marc A. Hermann
              Liberty Rifles.
              MOLLUS, New York Commandery.
              Oliver Tilden Camp No 26, SUVCW.

In honor of Sgt. William H. Forrest, Co. K, 114th PA Vol. Infantry. Pvt. Emanuel Hermann, 45th PA Militia. Lt. George W. Hopkins & Capt. William K. Hopkins, Co. E, 7th PA Reserves. Pvt. Joseph A. Weckerly, 72nd PA Vol. Infantry (WIA June 29, 1862, d. March 23, 1866.) Pvt. Thomas Will, 21st PA Vol. Cavalry (WIA June 18, 1864, d. July 31, 1864.)

Comment

Also did you notice that the bayonets don't fit into the scabboards all the way for the 2 men carrying Lorenzes. The scabboards appear to be early war 2 rivet scabboards.

Were Lorenz bayonets wider than Springfield or Enfield bayonets? If so, that would explain why the bayonets don't go all the way down into the scabboard.
                [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Hey Comrads,
                  Couple of things that I find interesting are: The guy sitting on the log looks to have something stuck in his chin strap of his forage cap, those haversacks seem huge and I like the guy munching on a piece of hard tack. I have an original Lorenz bayonet that fits (or doesn't fit) the same way in my 2 rivit springfield scabbard. Awsome photo, thanks.

John Eric Suttorp
                  John Suttorp

Comment

Doug's right. It is the 95th PA. I know better. Not thinking.

While we're at it, here's another around the same time of the 9th NYSM. Note the distinctive 9 button NY jackets with red trim and scalloped cuffs. Also the box knapsack with large numeral "9" painted on back. A dandy look at a dandy unit.
                    Last edited by roundshot; 04-28-2007, 02:35 PM.
                    Bob Williams

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

I like they way the guy eating the piece of hardtack and the one behind him have their kepi bills turned up. I don't see that in the second picture and don't recall seeing it before. Wonder if they did it just for this pic or if it was common for them? Great pics!!! - Bob Herr

Comment

I also like how the one guy on the left in the first image has a rolled up overcoat on his knapsack.

Comment

Those Lorenz bayonets don't go well with standard scabbards for 2 reasons.
                          First they are a bit longer then US or Enfield bayonets. Second, in body they are shaped considerably different. Anyways, this is a really great study of the 95th PVI.
                          Thanks for posting. Now if we could only find a body of reenactors who want to do Goslines correctly and are willing to ante up to do so!
                          Barry Dusel

In memory: Wm. Stanley, 6th PA Cav. Ernst C. Braun, 9th PA. Cav. John E. Brown & Edwin C. Brown, 23rd PVI

Comment

Originally posted by roundshot View Post
                            While we're at it, here's another around the same time of the 9th NYSM. Note the distinctive 9 button NY jackets with red trim and scalloped cuffs. Also the box knapsack with large numeral "9" painted on back. A dandy look at a dandy unit.
                            Sweet! This is one of my favorite images from the LoC!

There are a couple of things that have been bugging me for a while now with this photo though. First, I don’t think these boys are from the 9th New York. If the date of this image is true, March 1862, then the 9th was down in North Carolina with Burnside until July when they were shipped up to Virginia. If the date is incorrect, I still have doubts that this is still the 9th NY. This image was taken at Manassas Station and according to the 9th’s service record they were never at Manassas although they were at a Brooks’ Station. I can’t find where exactly Brooks’ Station is but it’s somewhere between Fredericksburg and Washington City.
                            There were two 9th infantry regiments that were at or near Manassas Station, the 9th Massachusetts and the 9th Pennsylvania Reserves both of which were at Second Manassas.

The second thing that has been bugging me are the jackets that the men are wearing in the background, which kind of look like Confederate jackets produced in Richmond. I highly doubt that these jackets are NYS jackets because according to NY regulations:

1st. Of a Jacket of dark blue army cloth, cut to flow from the waist and to fall about four inches below the belt. The coat is to be buttoned with eight buttons from the throat to the waist. The collar is to be a low standing collar. The buttons are to be those of the State Militia. Four sizes of Jackets will be required.
                            These jackets have a 9 button front instead of an 8 button one and there are three cuff buttons which aren’t mentioned at all. I’m beginning to think that these COULD be either a State jacket of some sort of private purchase jacket, I honestly have no clue.

This image really is cool though. There’s the dark blue trousers being worn by enlisted men, a guy folding the collar of his frock under so it looks like there’s not collar, a soldier wearing a frock over his blouse, and a guy wearing what looks like a field altered greatcoat (an added button and the removal of the cape). I would have posted these but it looks like I can’t post images on here which sucks, but oh well.
                            Bill Backus

Comment

First, the 9th New York Volunteers (Hawkin's Zouaves) and the 9th New York State Militia are not the same unit. These are indeed the 9th NYSM (also known as the 83rd Regiment of Volunteers). Secondly, the 9th NYSM wore a distinctive variation of the standard NY shell jacket which had 9 buttons, was piped in red, and had red scalloped plastrons on the cuffs. They also wore a dark blue cap with gilt braid and a dark blue overcoat with red cuff tab and cape lining. Their uniform was quite distinctive and attractive and there are many extant photos of them wearing it. This one just happens to show them in the field. I'll see if I can rustle up a studio portrait of one of them.
                              Bob Williams

Comment

Working...
                              X