• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 4th North Carolina Letter

HEADQUARTERS FOURTH BRIGADE,
    November 27th, 1862

My Dear Mother,
    I recieved your letter yesterday, and also one from brother by Mr. Gorman. I was very glad to hear from you, as I had not recieved any news from home in some time. He handed me the gloves also, which you sent by him. Nothing ever came in better time in the world. I have been trying my best to get a pair of some kind ever since cold weather set in, but could not, gloves such as you sent me sell for $3.00 in this country, any everything else in proportion. The last letter I wrote home, sent to Richmond by Capt. John Grimes to be mailed, was from our Camp near Stratsburg, Va. We left there on Friday, the 21st, and arrived here on Tuesday evening, the 25th, making a march of over one hundred miles in four days. It is the best marching that we have ever done, it's because we are going towards home, I reckon that the men did so well. There are hundreds of them barefooted and ice on the ground all day. General Hill issued an order yesterday requiring all the barefooted men to make sandals of raw hides with the hair on the inside. It answers the purpose very well. It's a wonder that the idea had not been thought of sooner, before the men suffered so much. Gorman says Pat Simms will be here to-day with the things for the Regiment. I hope he will be, for I need my boots very badly, also my pants. I shall draw a pair of pants from the Regimental clothing, also a new pair of shoes. I bought me a Yankee overcoat, a very comfortable one, for $12.50, a better coat than our men draw at more money. We are now on our way to Hanover Junction, some fifty miles off. We have stopped here to transport our sick on the cars ahead of us, though we have been here going on two days, a longer time than would be required for that purpose. We have no idea how long we will stay here. From what you write about your exchanging farms, I think you made a very good bargin. I wish I could be with you to help you fix it up. The boys are all well as could be expected. Virgil Stevens looks thin from diarrhoea. Tom Stith looks fat as a pig. Buck Hansill is the same old "Buck," though Marshbourns, that is Sam, is well and tough, Jim I don't recollect having seen for some time. I really don't know if whether he is in the company or not. I did write to you and intended to send it by Ed Gordon, but he left just before I carried my letters up to the Company to give him. The next time anyone leaves Wilson for the Company, please send me some kind of tonic bitters. I need something of the kind.
    Give my love to all, and believe me as ever,

Your affectionate son,

WALTER

Comment

Chris,

This is a nice set of letters. Just for informational purposes, they have apparently been published, twice.
      • Laura Elizabeth Lee Battle. Forget-me-nots of the Civil War: A Romance Containing Reminiscences and Original Letters of Two Confederate Soldiers (St. Louis, Mo.: A.R. Fleming Print Co., 1909).

• Joel Craig and Sharlene Baker. As You May Never See Us Again: The Civil War Letters of George and Walter Battle, 4th North Carolina Infantry (WakeForest, NC: The Scuppernong Press, 2004)

Eric
      Eric J. Mink
      Co. A, 4th Va Inf
      Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Originally posted by Dignann View Post
        Chris,

This is a nice set of letters. Just for informational purposes, they have apparently been published, twice.
        • Laura Elizabeth Lee Battle. Forget-me-nots of the Civil War: A Romance Containing Reminiscences and Original Letters of Two Confederate Soldiers (St. Louis, Mo.: A.R. Fleming Print Co., 1909).

• Joel Craig and Sharlene Baker. As You May Never See Us Again: The Civil War Letters of George and Walter Battle, 4th North Carolina Infantry (WakeForest, NC: The Scuppernong Press, 2004)

Eric
        Yep, I was planning to buy a copy of the second book to post his brother's letters.

Comment

Sorry about the delay, I haven't had any time to type these up.

HEAD QUARTERS FOURTH BRIGADE
          HILL'S DIV., NEAR GUINEA DEPOT,
          12 MILES FROM FREDRICKSBURG

December 2nd., 1862.

My Dear Mother,
          Once more settled in camp for a little while, long enough to write, at least, I thought I would let you know where we are and what we are doing. We are on the railroad between Richmond and Fredricksburg, some twelve miles distant from the latter place. What we are doing, one hasen't the remotest idea. We can't tell whether we are going to fight here or not, or how long we shall stay here. I think the most of our army is in the vicinity and some part of it is constantly in motion. Ewell's Division is now passing our encampment. I'm in hopes we will stay here until our men get their clothing. Ed Gordon has just returned, though he does not bring any news from home. He says that Pat Simms will start back to-day. He has certainly appointed enough times for starting to have been here long before now, if he is not able to bring the things, why dosen't he let some one else come with them. The men have been kept out of their clothing long enough. May Warren, I understand, is willing to bring them. If you should recieve this before any of them leaves, please send my watch and chain by him, I need the use of it very much and I don't think there is any danger of my losing it or being killed this winter or fall, campaign is about over. If both of them have left, please send it by the first reliable person coming to our company. Please have a key fitted to it and send that also, also a piece of buckskin in my trunk. Wrap them all up together and enjoin the one that brings it to be very careful with it, and not to lose it. I have not time to write much more, as Major Miller, who is going to take my letter to Richmond to be mailed, is in a hurry to go to the depot, for fear of being left. I recieved the things which you sent by Buck Hansill, also the gloves you sent by John Gorman, all I need now are the things which you are going to send by Pat Simms. Give my love to all the family and believe me, as ever, your

Affectionate son,

WALTER

P.S. Write often and tell me all the news about home. Wrap my watch up very securely and direct it to me. Don't forget to send me a key for it, as I have none.

Comment

At this point there is a break and I don't have any more letters until right after Gettysburg.

Chris

Comment

Williamsport, MD., July 8,1863

My Dear Mother:
              As I think there will be an opportunity of sending off a letter in a day or two, I believe I will drop you a few lines to let you know of some of my adventures since I last wrote you (Winchester). We have had rain every day since we left Winchester. I've been marching about ten to twenty miles a day. After the last two days our squad of two hundred dwindled down to about fifteen men, most of whom were officers. A Lieutenant from Texas commanded us. We were bound to form squads of some strength to prevent "bushwackers" and the enraged citizens from attacking us on the road. Last summer was nothing at all to this one in Pennsylvania. Although I did not have the pleasure of going into Yankeeland with them, I was following them in the rear and could see the havoc they did. The squad that I was in, the first night we got into Pennsylvania, killed a hog near a man's house and then sent two men to borrow cooking utensils to cook it in, most of them could make the expression, "I reckon you got your rations out of the field."
              The Fourth of July we got in eight miles of the battlefield, all that day the citizens tried their best to prevent our going any farther. Told us we were certainly gone chickens if we went any farther, that the Yankees were on picket some little distance off in large force. We didn't put any confidence in their chat but kept on. The last day of the three day's big fight, we got within a few miles of the battlefield, when we met General Imboden's Cavalry, the advance guard of our whole wagon train, who turned us back by orders of General Lee, ordering us at the same time to keep with the train, which did not stop until we arrived at this place, we (the wagon train) intended to ford the river here and again set foot on Virginia soil, but it has rained so much we have been waiting four days for the river to fall low enough to ford it. The Yankees attacked us here day before yesterday with the intention of capturing us, but they were driven off. I can't form the most distant idea of what the army is going to do, whether they intend to stay this side of the river or go back into Virginia. There is not a day passes but you hear of fighting going on. You don't feel right unless you hear cannonading going on. The stillness dosen't seem natural. There are five or six thousand Yankees here waiting for the river to fall to cross.
              When I have more time I will write again. Captain Thompson was wounded slightly and has crossed the river, I don't know with what intention. Buck Nolly was killed in our company.
              Write to me as soon as you get this and let me hear from you all, direct to Richmond and I will get it. This letter is No. 3.

WALTER

Comment

CAMP NEAR ORANGE C.H., August 2nd, 1863

My Dear Mother:
                I recieved your letter day before yesterday, just as we recieved orders to march. We marched about fifteen miles yesterday through the hottest sun that I ever felt. The men were constantly dropping out from overheat, and one or two died from the effects. We are in camp to-day, but have orders to hold ourselves in readiness to move at a moment's notice. The report is the Yankees are advancing on Culpepper. I guess we will leave here tonight or before day in the morning. This army is seeing a very hard time at present. Nothing to eat but beef and flour and the hardest marching that this army has ever done. At the time we crossed the mountains at Port Royal, we marched from 4 o'clock one morning until daybreak the next morning. We were drawn up in line of battle twice during that time, once we had a very sharp fight between our sharpshooters and the Yankees. Our Brigade was in line on the edge of a mountain overlooking the whole scene. I don't think it shall be long before we shall have a fight, from our present movements. I thought I told you in the letter I wrote from near Hagerstown, while in line, that I was with the Regiment. You must have missed getting that letter. This makes the fifth I have written since I left home. When I got with the new regiment everything had so much changed at headquarters, new men detailed, and my not knowing any of them, I concluded to go back with the company. I have been doing duty with the Company ever since I got back and I believe I feel better satisfied. Jim Gay got back to the regiment this morning, left Wilson last Wednesday. He has told us all about the Yankee raid.
                I have been suffering some little from pain in the feet, caused by hard marching. The doctor told me yesterday that I might put my things in the ambulance. At night when I went after them, some one had stolen my knapsack with all my clothes, except what I have on, and my shawl. I'll try and make out with what I have until cold weather comes on. You may send me two pair cotton and two pair woolen socks the first opportunity you have. That will be the first thing I will need. Dossey came over to see me this morning and read a letter that he got from Cousin Claudia yesterday.
                There is some talk of our Brigade being ordered to North Carolina. I wish to gracious we could be. I'll bet the Yankees wouldn't cut up there like they have been. To-day is Sunday and one of the hottest that I ever felt. We are in a piece of woods where there isn't one breath of air stirring. If we do have to march today, half of the men will give out from overheat. I would much rather march two nights than one day. You may send me that homespun shirt in my trunk, at the same time you do the socks --- that checked one. I hope the authorities will send some troops home to prevent the Yankees from making a raid through there. Write whenever there is anything to tell me about home and you all.

Your affectionate son,

WALTER

Comment

Hit post instead of edit.
                  Last edited by ; 01-13-2007, 10:29 PM. Reason: Hit post instead of edit

Comment

CAMP ON RAPIDAN RIVER, SIX MILES
                    NORTH OF RAPIDAN STATION, Sept. 22, 1863

My Dear Mother:
                    I had intended to write you the very day we left Orange Court House, but the movement prevented me. We left there yesterday week, marching towards Rapidan, camped near the river for two days, hearing the cannonading between our forces and the Yankees the whole time, neither crossing in any force. Our cavalry made a dash across the river, taking some thirty prisoners. The Second North Carolina Cavalry are on the other side of the river now and is thought to be cut off. We are now eighteen miles from Orange Court House on the Rapidan river. I can't learn the name of the ford. Our division is in line of battle, about one mile from the river. We have thrown up some breastworks and have an excellent position. All I hope is that the Yankees may come across, for I feel confident we can whip them worse than they have ever been yet. A deserter who came across says they have only two corps and that they are most conscripts. He says they are deserting by the hundreds. Last evening our division moved in a piece of woods some three hundred yards in the rear of our breastworks. I suppose it was done that the men might keep more comfortable. Night before last we had a pretty smart frost and the wind blew like winter. I spent two thirds of the night by the fire to keep warm. My pair of blankets got left in one of the wagons.
                    If you do not have any use for that map of Virginia, which you bought last winter, please loan it to me; send it by Thompson. I will take good care of it and return it.
                    In times like this, one blanket is as much as any man wants hung to him. and nine times out of ten he throws that one away during the fight. As soon as we get int camp again I shall have plenty of bedding. When Dr. Thompson comes back, I wish you would send my overcoat. I think I shall need it by then, also one pair of woolen socks. The flannel drawers you may keep until we go into camp. I have no way of carrying them. I never intend to carry another knapsack on my back, as long as I stay in the service. John Valentine brought the things you sent by him. The shirt fits exactly. You need not trouble about making the other in any hurry. I shall not need it until we go in camp.
                    Henry Warren came to us yesterday morning. The bag of potatoes which he brought could not have come in a better time. It was a real treat, I assure you. We have been lying in line of battle two or three days, living on half cooked rations sent from the wagon yard, and to get a bag of sweet potatoes was a perfect Godsend. We just set around the fire and roasted them last night and talked of the good things at home for a late hour. Tom Stith, Tom Atkinson, Peter Christman and myself compose our mess and whatever either gets, he shares it with the rest. Tom Stith has a trunk of things at Orange Court House, that Henry had to leave, as he had to take it afoot to where he found us; his boy brought my potatoes. Tell sister that I will write to her soon. I should have written at this time, but couldn't get the paper. It took me half an hour to borrow this half sheet. You need not look for me home on a furlogh for a long time yet; there are men in the camp who haven't gone home since we came to Virginia. You know I have been home twice. It will be a long time before my time comes around. The next furlogh, I expect, will be a wounded or sick one.
                    Give my love to all the family and believe me as ever,

Your affectionate son,

WALTER

Comment

CAMP NEAR MORTON'S FORD,
                      ON RAPIDAN RIVER, October 5, 1863.
                      My Dear Mother,
                      I recieved your letter of the 23rd yesterday while on picket duty and it seems to me from the way in which you write that you did not recieve my last letter. I don't think that it has been two weeks since I wrote you; 'Twas soon after Henry Warren got back. We are in the same camp we were when Henry came. Our Brigade does picked on the river at Morton's Ford. We (that is, our Regiment) have to go on every fourth night. Night before last was a terrible night, cold and rainy, and the wind was pretty cutting. Our line is on the river bank, in a cornfield. The Yankees are on the other side, some four hundred yards distance. We have no communication with them, it being against General Ramseur's orders. Battle's Brigade (Alabama troops) talk and exchange papers with them every day. They join our line above the ford. When we went on picket at the river we could hear the Yankee's drums by the hundred. They stopped all at once and we did not hear more than two or three for a whole week. Yesterday morning they opened with their drums again and from the number it would seem that they have a large army across the river. I think they tried to make us believe they had left, but they can't fool General Lee. We have orders for a week or more to keep two days' rations cooked and be ready to move at a moment's notice. I don't think we shall remain much longer at this camp.
                      Some half-dozen cannons were heard up the river yesterday. I suppose they were signal guns. A pretty good sign of movement. I hope we will soon do all the fighting that we expect to do this winter, and let us move into winter quarters. The orderly has just come around with orders to be in readiness to move, as the Yankees are advancing and we may probably leave this evening. All the preperation that I have to make is to look-up our day's rations of bread. As soon as we go into camp to stay any length of time, I shall be glad to get my flannel drawers. I will let you know. I hope Dr. Thompson will be well enough to come when his furlogh is out, and bring my overcoat, also a pair of socks, gloves (if you can find them) and a little box of lip salve. Tom Stith was waiting about a week before he got his things, which Henry Warren brought. He had to leave them at Orange Court House, as he had to foot it about eighteen miles. Col. Grimes got back a few days ago from North Carolina. He was married while home and he is now a canidate for congress, and I think he will probably be elected. I would like very much to be at home with you to eat some of that nice fruit which you have. Peaches here in camp sell for $2.00 per dozen, so we can't afford to eat as many as we want at that price, or it would take a months wages to pay for the treat. Blake said for me to tell you to please tell Mr. Rhodes to send him thirty dollars by Thompson, if this reaches you in time; if not, send it by mail. Tom Stith says to tell some of his folks not to send him any blanket as yet. He will let them know.
                      I am enjoying excellent health at present. Sometimes I am troubled with diarrohea, but I generally stop it by quit eating beef for a few days. Next time you write to Pussy, give her my best love and tell her I would like very much to see her. Give my love to all the family, and belive me, your sincere and devoted son,

WALTER

P.S. Much obliged for the paper and the envelopes.

Comment

ON MARCH NEAR RAPPAHANNOCK STATION, VA.,
                        October 18,1863.

My Dear Mother:
                        I recieved your very welcome letter and did intend on answering it last evening, but we were ordered to move, which prevented me from doing so. We left Rapidan about the 7th inst., and have been on the march ever since, and I believe it has been the hardest for the length of time that we ever had. It was what might be termed a "flank movement" in every sense of the word. We marched through woods, fields and across branches, creeks, and rivers as we came to them, only a few hours behind the Yankees all the time. Last Thursday we were drawn up in line of battle before day, and our Division, with our sharpshooters in front, drove the Yankees through the woods and fields for two or three miles. Our sharpshooters killed and wounded a great many. Our Brigade took thirty or forty prisoners. A day or two before that we suprised a corps of Yankees in camp, hurrying them off rather unceremoniously. We got our haversacks filled with crackers, which we very much needed, though we haven't suffered for anything to eat on the march. Gen. Ramsieur is very attentive to his men in that respect. Day before yesterday we were in four miles of Mannassas. I did wish that we might go that far. I wanted to see the old place so much.
                        The rumor is that Gen. Lee has accomplished everything he intended, that is, to drive the Yankees back and tear up this railroad, which we are doing to perfection; but for the grading and bent iron you would not know that there ever was a railroad along here. We cut down the telegraph wire also, and carried that along with us. We stopped on the march to-day, about 10 o'clock, after marching about eight miles. What it is for, I can't tell. I suppose something is the matter with the road ahead, or probably the bridge over the Rappahannock needs repairing. It is now 4 o'clock. I expect we shall move nearer the river to camp, however it does not make much differance where we stop, as we have rations up till tommarow evening. I wish you could have seen us cooking up three day's rations the other night, before attacking the Yankees the next day. We have flour and beef to cook and only about half the night to cook them in, without cooking utensils. We made up our dough on our gun cloths and cooked it on barrel staves and heads. You would be surprised to see how nice bread can be cooked on a ram rod. I think it is the sweetest bread that I ever ate. I think there must be something in the appetite also. Our beef we broiled on griddle irons made of telegraph wire. I think I was the first in our regiment to make one; since then nearly every man has one along with him. Col. Grimes detailed a blacksmith and sent him to me to get mine to make him one like it. He said it was the most useful thing he had seen. We cook bread on them also. Speaking of Col. Grimes, he just recieved a furlough to-day, and will leave for North Carolina in a few days. Dr. Thompson has not arrived yet, nor have we heard from him. I think the fall campaign is about over and I hope we will go into winter quarters somewhere on the railroad. I do want some sweet potatoes so much. Give my love to all the family, and believe me as ever,
                        Your devoted son,
                        WALTER

P.S. I am truly glad that Dr. Harrel has got a position as surgeon. I hope he will be pleasantly situated. Please look in the watch pocket of my black satin vest, get my lip salve box, fill it with salve and send it in your next letter. This mountain wind keeps my lips split all to pieces. Tell Mr. Rhodes, Blake says he got the $30.00 safely; much obliged to him. I believe I will send you a Yankee letter that I picked up the other day in the woods while we were pursuing them. I don't think peace is so near at hand as he does. Much obliged for this envelope and paper, you got an answer sooner than you otherwise would, there is no sutler along with us and none of the boys carry such things with them, they cost so much, and the first rain would ruin them.

Comment

Sorry about the long delay, but I had to prepare for exams.

CAMP NEAR MORTON'S FORD, VA.,
                          November 11th, 1863

My Dear Mother,
                          We are once more on our same camp on the Rapidan, which we left just a month ago. We had just begun to be comfortable in our winter quarters on the Rappahannock when the Yankees run us out. Last Saturday, about ten o'clock, the Yankees attacked our picket line on the river, composed of the Second and Thirtieth N.C. Regiments of our Brigade, driving them back, taking a great many of them prisoners. Col. Cox, of the Second, was badly wounded and afterwards died. The attack was a perfect surprise.
                          We had just drawn a large supply of winter clothing of every kind, and the men were just trying them on when we were ordered to fall in, which we did in double quick time, making for the river line of battle with our sharpshooters in front. Twas not long before we came on their skirmishers and a brisk fire commenced, which lasted until dark. Our two lines of battle laid within speaking distance until 12 o'clock that night, when we were very quietly withdrawn, half hour afterwards our sharpshooters followed and we took up our line of march until sun rise, when we were drawn up in line of battle, we stayed until two or three o'clock. The Yankees not coming on us, we started on the march again and never stopped till we crossed the Rapidan. We ate our breakfast Saturday morning in our winter quarters and did not draw a single mouthful to eat, or have any rest except when we were in line of battle (and then we were hard at work throwing up breastworks), until Monday night, ten o'clock. We waded the Rapidan about nine o'clock the same night. I think it was the hardest time we ever had, nothing to eat, accompanied with the hardest marching we ever did. All of our things were left in our winter quarters, expecting to go back there, but we did not, so we lost a good many things which we left behind. I happened to take my shawl and my oil cloth along with me, which I saved. I lost my two blankets, a pair of cotton drawers, pair of socks, which I had just drawn ( I did not draw anything else of the new clothing, which I am glad of, for I should have lost them). I also lost my knapsack, tin plate, tin cup, etc. I saved my overcoat, with all the things you sent by Condon. That scrape has taught me a lesson. I'll bet I never leave anything else of mine behind. I don't care where we are ordered to.
                          Try and get Tom Stith to put the following things in with his own baggage: That worsted shirt, flannel shirt, flannel drawers, two pair socks, please send me a comb, coarse one, also a towel. Tom Stith will be the judge of what he can bring besides those things. Tell him we are at the same camp that Henry Warren came to us at. If I have any time I will write to him tomorrow. We have just as much to do now as we can attend to. We are on picket every third night (Nov. 12). We moved camp this morning about half a mile nearer our picket line. Cannonading is occasionally heard on the other side of the river. I don't know what we will be doing, or where we will be tomorrow this time. I am perfectly willing for the Yankees to cross here, for I think we will whip them worse than we ever did at Fredricksburg. I shall be on picket tonight. I've got to go to work and get something to eat to carry with me.
                          Give my love to all. As ever,

Your sincere and devoted son,

WALTER

Comment

CAMP NEAR MORTON'S FORD, VA.,
                            December 3rd, 1863

My Dear Mother:
                            I know you are anxious to hear from me, so I thought I would write, if not but a few lines, to let you hear from me and to know that I was well and safe. We left this place to-day was one week ago. That night at 3 o'clock we left and went down the river towards Germanna Ford, where the Yankees have crossed in heavy force. We got there late in the evening, and had some very sharp skirmishes with them before night. We were in line of battle all night; just before day we fell back a short distance and established our line of battle and commenced throwing up our breastworks in the coldest kind of a rain. We were in a old field on top of a hill, where the wind came with all its fury. The smoke from our fires was almost enough to kill a man. We were in that condition, expecting an attack by the Yankees day or night. We have to keep all of our things on all the time and on-half of the men up all night, in case of an attack. Yesterday morning we commenced moving about 2 o'clock, and at daylight we dicovered that the Yankees had retreated across the river. Our Brigade was ordered to the front and we commenced taking a few stragglers and by ten o'clock we have taken (from the looks of them as we passed them this morning) three or four hundred. They were the poorest Yankees I ever saw. They did not have one mouthful to eat and said they had not had any in four days. They stated as an excuse that our cavalry had captured their wagons. Several of them offered me $2.00 a piece for crackers, but I told them we were rationed up for two days and I could eat everything in my haversack in one, so I could not spare them. I told them that they would draw something to eat pretty soon.
                            One of them gave me his knapsack and everything in it and then very politely aske me if I could spare him a cracker. I could not refuse him, for the things that he gave me unsolicited were very valuable. A pair of new shoes and a Yankee tent are things money will not buy. I would not take $25.00 for my tent which he gave me. They are large enough for two, and so light that you can roll them in your knapsack and not feel the weight at all. I could have gotten more little Yankee camp conveniences than I could carry, but we were then in line of battle, charging through the woods and I did not wish to bungle myself up too much. I do not know how long we shall stay here, but its my opinion, not long. I hope it will be long enough for us to get rested and recruited again before we set out for another march. Tom Stith brought all the things which you sent by him, including the letters. I am too tired and worn out to write an interesting letter. I merely wrote to set your mind at ease. As soon as I can cook something I shall try to go to sleep. I haven't slept more than an hour at any time for nearly a week. My love to all. Write soon to your

Sincere and affectionate son,

WALTER

Comment

CAMP IN WINTER QUARTERS, NEAR ORANGE
                              COURT HOUSE, January 10, 1864

My Dear Mother,
                              I recieved your letter by mail, also the one you sent by Mixson. We were on picket at the time. Mixson got here to-day (Sunday) week. We got back from picket last night, having spent one week on the banks of the Rapidan. We had two snows during the time, each one two or three inches deep. Though we did not suffer as one would suppose, who does not how how to fix up. My little Yankee tent came into requisition, so did my visor; you can't imagine the comfort there is in it while exposed to cold north winds. I thought I had written to you how I liked it. I used to think I wouldn't wear one, now I wouldn't be without it for anything. You say you wish I was in the office again. I do not. Though I was never allowanced while there for something to eat, there were other things equally as disagreeable. I got enough to eat now, but none to waste and I feel much better satisfied. Our meat has been cut down to a quarter of a pound and they give us sugar, coffee, rice, and sometimes dried fruit. We eat up everything they give us and feel hungry all the time. When they only give us a quarter of a pound of meat and a tin cupful of flour, it is not enough for a hearty man, but when they give us rice, peas, etc., we can make out very well. Peter Christman got a letter from his father yesterday, saying he was going to start with a load of boxes to-day (Sunday) week. I suppose he will come in May Warren's place. I need not tell you what to send me, for I know you will be certain to send me as much as I could ask for. I don't wish for you to send me anything that is scarce or high priced. Let it be something that you have plenty of, so that you will not miss it. The things that you sent by Mixson came in very good time. He sent me some meat and potatoes while on picket. You can send me a little of that nice meal, if you have it to spare. You need not send any sage, just send a few pods of red peppers to boil with beef once in a while, when we can draw it. I don't suppose we will draw much more beef until next Spring. Please don't forget to send a small case knife, a fig stem for pipe, the size of your middle finger, about six inches long.
                              I am very well supplied with winter clothing of every kind at present. Just drawn a splendid pair of English shoes. The trip down the river cut my others all to pieces. I did want to send a pair of English shoes to brother, but it seems that I can't get ahead so that I can do so. If we didn't have any picket duty to do this winter, we should be just as comfortable as I could wish. But we have to go eight miles off every fifth week and spend the time out doors, don't make any difference what kind of weather it is. I don't suppose we shall have to go more than two or three times, though before we shall start on our next Spring's campaign, wherever that may be. Tell Bob to write whenever you do and let me know how he is getting along himself. Give my love to all the family, also to Puss whenever you write to her. Write as soon as is convenient and believe me, as ever,
                              Your sincere and affectionate son,

WALTER

Comment

FORT MACON , N.C. , April 19, 1861

Dear Mother:
                                Our company arrived here this morning at 8 o’clock. We had to stay at Beaufort last night, the water being too rough to carry us over last night. I intended to have written last night while at Beaufort, but we were so completely worn out with hollowing, etc., that all of us got to bed as soon as possible, which was about 12 o’clock. We have been employed a little while this morning carrying barrels, etc. It was raining the whole time. They make no difference here for rain or anything else.
                                There is only about two or three hundred men here as yet. There are more men expected daily. Our company is the largest, the best looking (so said by the men here), that there is in the fort.
                                George and Tom Stith are down on the beach shooting porpoises. I had to borrow this piece of paper to writhe to you, George having the paper in his valise.
                                The company has this evening to look around. Tomorrow we have to commence drilling. George has just come in. He says he had lots of fun, and told me to tell you that he would write to you tomorrow. He found a good many curious looking shells which he has put in his valise, to carry home. Blake asked me to say Mr. Rhodes that he is very well satisfied, indeed. The whole company is enjoying themselves very much. I will write to you again as soon as I hear from you. Please write to me often. Direct to Fort Macon , care of Capt. Jesse Barnes.

Your affectionate son, till death,

WALTER
                                Chris Suppelsa

Comment

Working...
                                X