Pvt. John Burgwyn MacRae Shirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pvt. John Burgwyn MacRae Shirt

Does anymore have any detailed information of the MacRae shirt that is shown on page 154 of the Confederate EoG? I'd like to reproduce the shirt and it's my understanding that this shirt may be in a museum in North Carolina. I used the search function but nothing turned up. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

George Hardy
    Independent

Re: Pvt. John Burgwyn MacRae Shirt

My answer doesn’t qualify the thread as an authenticity discussion, but contact Ben Tart. He has copied the shirt and at one time produced a textile close to the original.
    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

The PVT John Burgwyn MacRae shirt is housed in the North Carolina Museum of History. You can search for pictures of the shirt using this link:

You can also contact one of their curators in Military History at ncmoh@ncmail.net or call them at (919)807-7952 to ask specific details about the shirt.

I have been planning on making one for myself but have not had to chance to schedule a trip to North Carolina to examine the original.

I hope this helps.
      Matthew Semple

Comment

George,

Long time, no see. I second the recommendation to contact Ben, as he has some decent notes on this shirt, and Neal Sexton also has some good input. If memory serves me the biggest bugaboo is going to be the blue tabby fabric, but my info on that is at least seven years out of date, so perhaps that material has indeed been reproduced. Good luck.

I saw the Selden shirt you made a few years ago, and it was a work of art. Very well done!

Okay, this gets in my gearhead post for the year. :)
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Garrison, Matt, Charles,
          Thanks very much for your suggestions. I will follow up with Ben Tart and I will also contact the museum. If anyone has contact info for Neal, please forward it.

Charles,
          Great to hear from you and I'm glad you liked the Selden shirt. I will chat with you later!

George Hardy
          Independent

Comment

I called the NC Museum about a year ago and the shirt was on loan to an undisclosed museum, why all the secrecy I couldn't figure out. I then called Ben who said he would like to make the fabric but didn't think there would be a demand. I too would love to make a repro of the MacRae shirt. Perhaps Ben has/will change his mind.
            Edward Watson
            Co. C, 33rd NCT

A Rowdy Pard

"Do your duty in all things.
            You can never do more,
            You should never wish to do less."
            -Robert E. Lee

Comment

For future reference, the "Picture Credits", which is sandwiched between the Index and the Bibliography, usually contains information regarding the location of many of the artifacts in the EOG series.

Good hunting,
              Robert Wiseman
              Robert Wiseman

"I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something, than educate people and hope they were entertained." Walt Disney

Comment

Let me just add from personal experience the people at the North Carolina Museum of History are very helpful and friendly to deal with. This past November I was down in NC and visited the museum to view the Alfred May collection and some other odds and ends in their collection, I spent all day in the lab handling, measuring and photographing the artifacts. The curator was just thrilled that people have been using the online search catalog and requesting to come in and view artifacts not on display.

You may want to contact fellow forum member Spencer Waldron, he is the head of the archeological underwater conservation lab in the museum and he may be able to help you out.
                -Seth Harr

Liberty Rifles
                93rd New York Coffee Cooler
                [I]
                "One of the questions that troubled me was whether I would ever be able to eat hardtack again. I knew the chances were against me. If I could not I was just as good as out of the service"[/I]
                [B]-Robert S. Camberlain, 64th Ohio Veteran Volunteer Infantry[/B]

Comment

Interesting site. Here's a link to the MacRae shirt.
                  Silas Tackitt,
                  one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Just out of curiosity, has anyone put together a pattern for this shirt?
                    Respectfully,
                    Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Comment

Charlie Childs made me one out of osnaburg years ago, but he no longer makes shirts, but does offer two shirt kits. I still have four shirts he made, proof that quality gear will last.
                      Paul Manzo
                      Never had I seen an army that looked more like work......Col. Garnet Wolseley

Comment

Working...
                      X