"Tennessee Thompson" of "Co. Aytch"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tennessee Thompson" of "Co. Aytch"

When re-reading this book I re-discovered the passage Watkins describes of his good friend Tennessee Thompson at the front of Chapter 7 - Shelbeyville:

"...he carried two quilts, three blankets, one gum oilcloth (so far that's WAAAAAAAAAY too much but then...) one overcoat, one axe, one hatchet, one campkettle, one oven and lid, one coffee pot, besides his knapsack, haversack, canteen, gun, cartridge-box, and three days' rations."

MY GOD!!! What does all that baggage look like if he layed it all on the ground???

I tend to believe this passage is a little embelished...but what if it isn't, how does one carry all that stuff?

Reminds me of the passage posted here before the last crash which gave the contents of individuals knapsacks inventoried when they had passed away in an army hospital. I believe Mr. Neil Rose had that research, if I recall. There was one or two individuals who possessed a lot on their person upon entering the hospital.

Anyway, just wanted to share this passage as I've always enjoyed it.

Best,
    James Ross

Re: "Tennessee Thompson" of "Co. Aytch"

Here are the threads that Neil posted awhile back. Great stuff indeed.

A while back on here while looking at some of the enhanced LOC photos (the one of the troops with stacked arms at the ship yard sticks in my mind) there were some of the largest federal packs I have ever seen. So packing heavy is not out of the norm, but your right, this guy if it is true has to be one of the heaviest campaigners out there.

A few years ago, I read a letter posted somewhere online from one of the local units from back in NY, the 156th NY I believe. The writer and his pards were able to obtain stove for their hut. They were then ordered to move, and not wanting to leave it behind, this guy and his three or so other cabin mates broke it down as best they could and carried it for a few days among them, along with all their other gear. If this account sounds familiar and you know where online it is located, please let me know I would print it out.
    Dane Utter
    Washington Guard

Comment

Now that is a heavy load! From my own personal experience at one of the LBL events I had what I would consider a 'heavy load.' I lugged a federal overcoat, gum blanket, spare shirt, and wool blanket in the knapsack all weekend. Brian Hicks took a look at me on the march out and asked if I was going to be ok with all of my gear. I said 'yup.' Surprisingly my back did not hurt too much at the end. Yeah I still got cold on Saturday night. Yeah Mr Thompson still has me beat.
      Herb Coats
      Armory Guards &
      WIG

Comment

Now Herb, don't forget the ingredients for all the pies that you always carry with you, that had to be another 20 lbs. Lets see, Chess Pie, Rubarb Pie, Pecan Pie . . .:wink_smil
        [B]Justin Morris[/B]
        [B]Independent Rifles[/B]
        "And All of Hell Followed"

Shiloh, IR Confederate Campaigner Adjunct Battalion, Cleburne's Division, March 30 to April 1, 2012

Comment

Morris!!! You let my secret out! How could you!!!!!!!
          Herb Coats
          Armory Guards &
          WIG

Comment

Mr. Ross,

If you read enough about Tennessee Thompson, he compares mightily to a mixture of Paul Bunyon, Davy Crockett and Daniel Boone. Since Sam was writing a series of newspaper articles, not a book, his work should be scrutinized with some care. By his own admission, he was writing so all the families of old soldiers might hear of the exploits, without really including any of the "down and dirty". Every dead boy was near and dear, sweet, pretty and a good man. Every hero was humble. And he made sure to mention everyone he knew in Maury County. Sam was quite the salesman.

Joe Smotherman

Comment

Comrades,

Regarding sheet iron stoves... John Pullen documented a case in the 20th Maine of one older fellow who actually did disassemble a Sibley stove and carry it through an entire campaign.

As to "groaning knapsacks" there is also an excellent account in "The Rebel Yell & The Yankee Hurrah" (17th Maine) where the author talks about his regiment coming across a line a knapsacks belonging to the 1st Maine Heavy Artillery (this was at Spotsylvania). The veterans of the 17th were amazed at not only how much stuff these guys were carrying, but how new and fresh it all was. Soooooo... they helped themselves to a lot of those clean socks, shirts, etc, and then headed off. For many years the boys of the 1st Maine thought the Johnnies had pilfered all their stuff, and the 17th fellows were happy to support that claim... till the book came out :)

Respects,
              Tim Kindred
              Medical Mess
              Solar Star Lodge #14
              Bath, Maine

Comment

A little note of interest, Tennessee's name was really Tennessee, he is listed as that in both the 1860 census and his Service Records.

Lee
                Lee White
                Researcher and Historian
                "Delenda Est Carthago"
                "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

I agree with Herb, my packs heavy enough with the basics (blanket, gum, shirt, socks, sleep cap, and a few personal care items (comb, toothbrush, etc). When the overcoat is needed I dread the march.

By the way Herb, where was the pie this weekend? ;)
                  Robert Collett
                  8th FL / 13th IN
                  Armory Guards
                  WIG

Comment

In the new edition of Aytch that has Sam's additions for a new publication run the load gets even bigger. The bolded sections were added.

...one axe, one hatchet, one cross cut saw, one maul and two iron wedges and four gluts, and as he said, to balance him, an anvil in his knapsack, one campkettle, one oven and lid...
                    Of course, all of that makes some sense. Tennessee was a carpenter by trade per the census.
                    [FONT=Garamond]Patrick A. Lewis
                    [URL="http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/"]bullyforbragg.blogspot.com[/URL]

"Battles belong to finite moments in history, to the societies which raise the armies which fight them, to the economies and technologies which those societies sustain. Battle is a historical subject, whose nature and trend of development can only be understood down a long historical perspective.”
                    [/FONT]

Comment

simply...
                      -Ty "Tic-Tac" Gladden
                      Co. A, 1st Texas Infantry
                      One of the "Three Jesi", and founding member of the Shire Mess.
                      Part of the Chocolate People Mess, of the Texmosippiana Society...

Comment

Originally posted by Pat.Lewis View Post
                        In the new edition of Aytch that has Sam's additions for a new publication run the load gets even bigger. The bolded sections were added.

Of course, all of that makes some sense. Tennessee was a carpenter by trade per the census.
                        "Crazy enough to be true," as they say. However, the general trend I've noted in post-war reminiscences and regimental histories is that the longer the gaps0 between the end of the war and the publication date, the more they take on a "bigger, better, faster, more" tone. One Indiana regimental history, published in 1912, all but claims that, at least for a certain period, nobody fell out from the ranks and nobody in the regiment was court-martialed. One look at other contemporary documentation establishes that these claims are nothing short of "mierda del toro."

Yours, &c.,

Mark Jaeger
                        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

I believe by the quote Pat gave us from then new edition of Co. Aytch that Sam was indeed embellishing and knew exactly what he was doing, even in the 1880s. It also seems like it may have been some sort of joke among the men. I mean, Sam says that Tennessee even stated he had an anvil in his knapsack to balance himself out. This passage tells me that Tennessee probably carried a whole lot of "stuff" in his knapsack, enough to get some friendly "ribbing" from his comrades.
                          [FONT="Book Antiqua"][B]Christopher P. Young[/B]
                          [/FONT] [URL="http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com"]Army of Tennessee[/URL]
                          [URL="http://www.antebellumpoliticing.blogspot.com/"]Our Federal Union, It Must Be Preserved[/URL]
                          [FONT="Palatino Linotype"]"Of all the properties which belong to honorable men, not one is so highly prized as that of character." Secretary of State Henry Clay, July 27,1827[/FONT]

Comment

He could have been a terrible gambler.
                            [COLOR="Olive"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]Larry Pettiford[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

To echo what Chris posted, I have always considered it good ribbing, kind of like saying that he carried everything and the kitchen sink. But as Patrick noted too, Tennessee was a big boy, so far I think he is the tallest I have found in the service records of Company H.

Lee
                              Lee White
                              Researcher and Historian
                              "Delenda Est Carthago"
                              "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X