Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great 1862 Letter with Drawing of Cabin

This should be of considerable interest:

The writer is only identified as "Jack" of the "20th Regiment." However a search through the Official Records might nail down the precise unit as well as some potential authors.

A word of warning: some of the wording in the listing, and the manner in which the bidding is being conducted, sent up several red flags for me! "Caveat emptor."

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Re: Great 1862 Letter with Drawing of Cabin

The 20th Connecticut Regiment was part of Kane's Brigade of the First Division (Williams) of the 12th Army Corps. They were encamped "in Loudoun Valley, near Loudoun Heights," Harpers Ferry.
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Re: Great 1862 Letter with Drawing of Cabin

Originally posted by markj View Post
      A word of warning: some of the wording in the listing, and the manner in which the bidding is being conducted, sent up several red flags for me!
      I'm curious what in particular. I'm still not used to checking out the data in the new "Bidder 1, Bidder 2" thing that eBay just started on all over-$200 auctions, if there's something suspicious in there about how the bidding is being conducted.

But what I'm really interested in, more relevant to the historic/research aspect, is what red flags in the wording might indicate it wasn't an original item.

Hank Trent
      hanktrent@voyager.net
      Hank Trent

Comment

Working...
      X