Red Brass or Copper Buttons???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Brass or Copper Buttons???

I figured I'd post this here as there was some talk a while ago about this but I can't seem to find the topic anywhere. A recent XMas purchase has got me thinking of this again.

Is there a source for some accurately made block "I" or "A" buttons that have a higher copper content to the brass or copper front, tin back buttons available??? Seems there are accurately made uniforms nowadays with the same brass buttons that have been around for years.

I would hope this area would evolve like the materials they are attached to has.

Any help or discussion on this would be great!!!

Thanks,
    James Ross

Re: Red Brass or Copper Buttons???

Comrades,

I haven't a clue as to who might make them for you, but as for being used, they must have been some need for them, as they were produced. There are at least two excellent examples at the Yarmouth Historical Society in Yarmouth, Maine.

Respects,
    Tim Kindred
    Medical Mess
    Solar Star Lodge #14
    Bath, Maine

Comment

James,

While I unfortunately don't have a steady source for red brass buttons, high quality reproduction buttons are something that has become very interesting to me in the last year or so. Buttons, like most hardware items are unfortunately one of those things that require a significantly investment in time and money and often large minimum orders numbering in the tens of thousands before a single button can be cast. There are folks such as Jim Kindred who make this sort of thing their primary endeavor, and continue to push the envelope in regard to authenticty, always improving their wares. The trouble is that certain buttons carry a demand low enough that while selling a hundred or so is assured, getting rid of the other 9,000+ is the real problem.

Smaller companies such as Hanover brass and other talented individuals can often do small numbers of specialized buttons, but often an original is needed for the mould (and it is sometimes necessary to destroy the original in the moulding process) and the cost of these hand-made reproductions is prohibitive, (few people want to invest $55 or more in the buttons on their jacket.)

I have found lately that the second hand market can be a good albeit highly unreliable source for older high quality reproduction buttons. This is sporatic at best, however, and you'll never tell if this month you'll get a bunch of cast "I" buttons, or a bunch of cast Louisiana state seal buttons.

If you're really serious about getting your hands on some red brass buttons I would suggest making some calls and sending some emails. Hanover brass and Parsley brass would be a good start. They may not be able to help you directly but may be able to point you to someone who can. I have found that 90% of the best information and connections I've got in this business are found by word of mouth, so it's worth sending out a few emails. It may boil down to you having to finance a run yourself, but that is generally the problem most vendors run into. I know that if I had the money to invest I would have a huge box of cast brass buttons of all kinds!

Again, sorry I could not be of more help but as you can see this is an issue I am very interested in and I will be very interested in finding out how your search progress.

Best Regards,
      Dan Wambaugh
      Wambaugh, White, & Company
      www.wwandcompany.com
      517-303-3609
      Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Mr. Wambaugh,

Thanks for that reply!

What I was hoping for was a run of "special" buttons from the makers of the ones available now. Instead of the usual brass, they (whoever the manufacturers are) utilize copper or a mixture instead. They already have the molds, they're simply replacing brass with another metal. They can even keep the backs the same or go to tin (if it's cheaper).

Trust me, I too wish I had the $$$ to invest in such an endeavor. All I have is enough $$$ for a couple new sets for 2 RD jackets.

Best and thanks again!
        James Ross

Comment

Sorry, I posted info on Cast I, instead of Block I, buttons.
          Jerry Holmes
          28th GA. Inf
          65th GA. Inf (GGG-Grandfather)

Comment

Expensive, but insanely neat-o.

-Randall Pierson

Comment

Hanover brass has been offering buttons and plates made from "old weathervanes" found in the Virginia countryside. He said they were of the old "rose brass" that the CS products were made from (more copper content)

Joe Walker

Comment

Mr. Walker,

I'll give them a holler when I can.

Thanks for the reply!
                Jim
                James Ross

Comment

Hanover was making buttons and plates from old high-copper or "rose" brass if requested. Try them.

Joe Walker

Comment

Working...
                  X