Military Companies in Pre-War Louisville, Kentucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Companies in Pre-War Louisville, Kentucky

pages 180-182 of George W. Hawes’ Kentucky State Gazetteer and Business Directory, for 1859 and 1860.

MILITARY COMPANIES [Louisville]

FALLS CITY GUARDS
    Organized May, 1856. Armory at the Lafayette Engine House. Regular meetings every Wednesday night-numbers 52 men, rank and file.

A.Y. Johnson, Captain.
    J.F. Shultz, First Lieutenant.
    John Rogers, Second Lieutenant.
    D.W. Henderson, Third Lieutenant.
    T.P. Smith, Ensign.
    J.F. Huber, First Sergeant.
    Jesse Rubel, Second Sergeant.
    A.J. Johnson, Third Sergeant.
    Charles Fais, Fourth Sergeant.
    Alexander Cross, First Corporal.
    Charles Sale, Second Corporal.
    M. Low, Third Corporal.
    George Vacaro, Fourth Corporal.

CITIZEN GUARDS
    Organized May 23, 1857. Armory north side of Jefferson, bet. Sixth and Seventh. Numbers 69 men rank and file.

Simon B. Buckner, Captain.
    Alex. Cassaday, First Lieutenant.
    J.H. Morton Morris, Second Lieutenant.
    J.A. Beattie, Third Lieutenant.
    S.S. Craik, First Sergeant.
    Jos. S. Morris, Second Sergeant.
    S.T. Chipley, Third Sergeant.
    C. Brockenbrough, Fourth Sergeant.
    J.M. Semple, First Corporal.
    T.E. Stake, Second Corporal.
    Philip Vacaro, Third Corporal.
    H.M. Curd, Fourth Corporal.
    James A. Beattie, Secretary
    O.L. Badger, Treasurer

MARION RIFLES
    Organized July 3, 1858. Armory Histrionic Hall, south side of Jefferson, bet. Third and Fourth. Regular drill meetings every Tuesday evening. Regular monthly meetings the first Monday of each month. Numbers, rank and file, 64 members.

Wm. E. Woodruff, Captain.
    James B. Harvey, First Lieutenant.
    N.B. Monager, Second Lieutenant.
    T.D. Sedgewick, Third Lieutenant.
    R.G. Hawkins, Fourth Lieutenant.
    George Lovett, Ensign
    J.R. Peach, First Sergeant.
    L.P. Lovett, Second Sergeant.
    I.N. Shepard, Third Sergeant.
    G.A. Watkins, Fourth Sergeant.
    J.H. Weinedel, First Corporal.
    W.W. Knapp, Second Corporal.
    John Hughes, Third Corporal.
    George S. Coyle, Fourth Corporal.
    T.D. Sedgewick, Secretary
    J.F. Sheckler, Treasurer

NATIONAL BLUES
    Organized July 4, 1858. Armory at Relief Engine House. Regular drill meetings Tuesday evening of every week. Numbers, rank and file, 47 members.

J.W. Albert, Captain.
    W.F. Melbourn, First Lieutenant.
    A.L. Symmes, Second Lieutenant.
    J.G.P. Howe, Third Lieutenant.
    E.W. McDonald, Ensign
    Wm. McCrady, First Sergeant.
    R.G. Marriner, Second Sergeant.
    O.A. Drane, Third Sergeant.
    H. Anderson, Fourth Sergeant.
    J.F. Stone, First Corporal.
    H. Duvall, Second Corporal.
    W.H. Stokes, Third Corporal.
    George Jones, Fourth Corporal.
    Matthew Rector

Re: Military Companies in Pre-War Louisville, Kentucky

That’s cool... I didn’t realize that Buckner was in Citizen Guards before he became Commander of the Kentucky State Guard, when it was formed in May of 1860.

Jordan Ricketts
    Jordan Ricketts

Comment

Several soon-to-be Orphan Brigade members on these lists. Rebels in training ... ;)

Geoff Walden

Comment

Originally posted by JordanRicketts View Post
        That’s cool... I didn’t realize that Buckner was in Citizen Guards before he became Commander of the Kentucky State Guard, when it was formed in May of 1860.

Jordan Ricketts
        Yep, Buckner was commander of the LCG. In fact, some time ago I recall sending Matthew a series of news articles from the Lafayette, Indiana papers commenting on the participation of Buckner's lads at a Fourth of July 1859 encampment at that city. It so happens that Buckner's co-commander for the encampment was an obscure lawyer and militia captain from Crawfordsville, Indiana by the name of....Lew Wallace.

The July 1859 encampment at Lafayette was, from all appearances, the largest gathering of military personnel within Indiana borders between the Mexican and Civil Wars. Militia companies from Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, and, I believe, Illinois participated with something like 400-600 infantry, cavalry, and artillery troops attending in all.

Regards,

Mark Jaeger
        Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Originally posted by markj View Post
          Yep, Buckner was commander of the LCG. In fact, some time ago I recall sending Matthew a series of news articles from the Lafayette, Indiana papers commenting on the participation of Buckner's lads at a Fourth of July 1859 encampment at that city. It so happens that Buckner's co-commander for the encampment was an obscure lawyer and militia captain from Crawfordsville, Indiana by the name of....Lew Wallace.

Mark Jaeger
          Lew? Seems like I might know something about that guy. Thought I would throw the museum link, it has a couple of "Montgomery Guard" items in the museum, along with many other personal items.

sigpic
          Grandad Wm. David Lee
          52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
          - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by markj View Post
            Yep, Buckner was commander of the LCG. In fact, some time ago I recall sending Matthew a series of news articles from the Lafayette, Indiana papers commenting on the participation of Buckner's lads at a Fourth of July 1859 encampment at that city.
            Mark Jaeger
            YES! You sent me some great articles about this. I'll try to locate it soon and perhaps transcribe some of it and put it in this thread or in a new one. I'm sure others would appreciate the additional info.
            Matthew Rector

Comment

Close to two years ago, Mark Jeager kindly forwarded me copies of period newspaper articles pertaining to the July 1859 militia encampment that took place in Lafayette, Indiana. I transcribed a bit relating to Buckner and have included it below. Thanks, again, to Mark for sharing this!

Letter from Capt. Buckner.
              Capt. S B. Buckner, of Louisville, communicates the following to Capt. P.W. Fonda, of this city.

HEADQUARTERS, CITIZEN GUARDS,
              Louisville, Ky., July 6, 1859.

CAPTAIN, It gives me pleasure to express to you and through you to the gentlemen of the Lafayette Guards, the appreciation in which the Citizen Guards of Louisville hold you, for the many civilities extended to us on the occasion of our recent visit to Lafayette.
              The acts of courtesy and kindness which your invitation enabled us to receive,-not from your distinguished corps and other military companies alone, but also from the ladies and gentlemen of Lafayette,-will be long remembered by us with gratitude, and our visit to Camp Tippecanoe as the guests of the Lafayette Guards, will be regarded as among the most agreeable incidents of our military life.
              We beg therefore, to return our heartfelt thanks to you and the other gentlemen of the Lafayette Guards, to whose partial invitation we are indebted for so many courtesies; and to assure you that we hope on some future occasion, to reciprocate some of the civilities which have conferred upon us such pleasant obligations.

I am, Sir, with much regard, very truly your obedient serv’t,
              S. B. Buckner, Captain
              Commanding Citizen Guards.
              To Capt. P. W. Fonda. Commanding Lafayette Guards. Lafayette, Ind

July 8, 1859
              Lafayette Daily Courier
              Going to Italy.
              Capt. S. B. Buckner, who commanded Camp Tippecanoe, is going to Italy by next steamer, on a tour of observation.

July 8, 1859
              Lafayette Daily Courier
              Matthew Rector

Comment

Working...
              X