South Carolina Buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• South Carolina Buttons

Pards , need some help with some info on SC Buttons found on ebay..The buttons have a SC on each side with a palmetto tree in the center with the words " animis opibusque parat" inscribed around the lower edge.The buttons back mark is hortsman bros & co. phila and one says scovil mfg co. waterbury.I was wondering if anyone had any info on these buttons or hortsman brothers. mfg co. I was wondering about there authenticity as well as some history on SC buttons. I tried a search but found nothing.Any help would be great as i dont know much about buttons..thanks ...Neill Rose where are you?? will
    Last edited by Will Rumsey; 02-06-2007, 02:50 PM.
    Will Rumsey/ SWB Shocker Mess
    "God Bless North Carolina" RE Lee

Re: South Carolina Buttons

It would help if you would copy and paste the ebay link in your post. Then we could see for ourselves. Horstman produced buttons pre and post war. So did Scovill.
    everett taylor
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Comment

I believe these are the buttons in question. I think they are post war. http://cgi.ebay.com/CIVIL-WAR-ERA-SO...QQcmdZViewItem
      Dana Meredith Jr.
      tarheelmilitia@yahoo.com

Comment

Yea thats them but I didnt want to post any pics or links as I think thats a no, no. Not sure but thanks for your help..What makes you say post war? Do you have anymore info on hortsman??
        Last edited by Will Rumsey; 02-06-2007, 05:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rumsey View Post
          Yea thats them but I didnt want to post any pics or links as I think thats a no, no. Not sure but thanks for your help..What makes you say post war? Do you have anymore info on hortsman??
          It's not just the back mark but the style of the button. I could not find any 3 piece SC buttons in Tices book for CW use and have never seen a dug one from the CW.

IMO these are post war and were worn by outfits such as the one pictured.
          Last edited by Jimmayo; 05-23-2008, 07:26 PM.
          Jim Mayo
          Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
          http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

"American Military Button Makers and Dealers; Their Backmarks and Dates"
            William F. McGuinn and Bruce S. Bazelon

The Horstmann family produced buttons from 1816-1890's

Buttons were made differntly at different times, and the backmarks were too. This is how buttons are dated. The book I listed above is a must for button collectors

everett taylor

Comment

Thanks for all yalls help . Ill check into the book for sure..this might sound dumb but how was it that a button maker in the north supllied south carolina or did they have most of the buttons before the war..did the supply ever stop to the south? Why didnt the north stop it? .I never heard of a buttton shortage in the south . Also was there any button makers in south carolina at the time that supplied the troops.How was it done??thanks again for all yalls help . will

Comment

Originally posted by Will Rumsey View Post
                Thanks for all yalls help . Ill check into the book for sure..this might sound dumb but how was it that a button maker in the north supllied south carolina or did they have most of the buttons before the war..did the supply ever stop to the south? Why didnt the north stop it? .I never heard of a buttton shortage in the south . Also was there any button makers in south carolina at the time that supplied the troops.How was it done??thanks again for all yalls help . will
                If you are going to be in the vicinity of the Museum of the Albermarle this Sat. stop by and we can chat. I will be set up in one of the class rooms.
                Jim Mayo
                Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
                http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

The buttons in question also appear to be "muffin" style. The repro SC buttons that I have are more flat
                  [SIZE=1]Your Obt. Servant,[/SIZE]
                  Tyler Murphy
                  6th N.C.S.T
                  [I]"The Shirkers Mess"[/I]

Comment

That would be great Jim. Like to meet you..Any particular time?? Also the owner of the buttons emailed me and said that they were aquired about 30 years ago from a estate sale in Philly.Not much help there..

Comment

Originally posted by NC1862 View Post
                      The buttons in question also appear to be "muffin" style. The repro SC buttons that I have are more flat

A good deal of the repro Kentucky buttons out there are also flat, however they are repros of Post-War buttons. The Ky state buttons were "muffin" styled and the KMI (Ky Military Inst.) were more of a flatter 2pc.
                      There are good repros and bad ones. For some reason people want to put original buttons, not repros, on their uniforms. I guess because the repros aren't made as good. Usually I tell them to buy Post-War/Indian War buttons instead. This way you still have a good quality button for a fraction of the cost.
                      everett taylor

Comment

Working...
                      X