East TN Federal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: East TN Federal

Contact the East Tennessee Historical Society in Knoxville. Also the the McClung Historical Collection and Knox County Archives (same building). They had a killer image exhibit there of East Tennessee Federals a couple of years ago. The gift shop also has a number of books on East Tennessee during the war, a few I think are first-hand accounts.
    Scott Cross
    "Old and in the Way"

Comment

I would have to agree with Scott on that one. McClung and the Historical Society Museum are two really good places to visit if you are seeking for research material. One word of caution about the McClung Museum though, a couple of years ago they had things in their collection that were mislabeled as Civil War relics and there were other thing in that collection that were mislabeled as well, but I forgot what they were. I have yet to go back there to see if any of it was correctly identified or not. Maybe the next time I'm around UT's campus I will drop in there.

Comment

A good many more Tennesseans were sent north, to Camp
        Dick Robinson, and the 2nd Tennessee Infantry was formed
        under James Carter. Camp Dick Robinson had now
        become a large base of operations with Federal regiments
        from Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, and now Tennessee.
        Colonel John De Courcy, Commander of the 33rd Indiana
        Infantry, had this to say while at Camp Dick Robinson, “
        …there were about 3,000 men of East Tennessee in camp, the
        number being increased daily by men of that region. It was
        something more to be a Union man in Tennessee than in
        Indiana, I soon learned. I can never forget the appearance of
        these forlorn and sad-faced men. Gen. S.S. Carter was in
        command of them, and was organizing them as rapidly as
        possible. They had no state authorities to arm and equip them
        and send them to the field. Their supplies were furnished by the
        general government.
        In camp with them were some of the public men of East
        Tennessee. The leaders of these were Andrew Johnson, a
        senator, and Horace Maynard, a representative in
        Congress; both men had great gifts of speech. Andy
        Johnson, as he was familiarly called, was a man of medium
        height, broad shoulders and muscular, with a large head
        and firm rugged countenance; his coal black eyes gleamed
        with passion or kindled into mirth, and kindness, at will.
        Maynard, a tall, slender, long-haired, swarthy man, with
        the strange stern look of an Indian, was a fit companion for
        Johnson. I heard them speak to the Tennesseeans one night
        at the headquarters. With such a subject, with such an
        audience, such powerful orators seemed to burn and blaze
        with the intense power of the ancient prophets. Such an
        exalted situation has rarely been furnished to the orator;
        there were more tears and sobs than cheers. Home,
        country, fathers, mothers, wives, and children had all been left behind. I take off my hat to the soldiers of East
        Tennessee.”
        Recollections of a Civil War General, John DeCourcey
        Indianapolis, Ind 1895

Found this while surfing the Web a few years back but don't remember the website.
        everett taylor
        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Comment

Both of my G-Grandfathers on my Father's side , Thomas Clarke & George Henry , were what N.B. Forrest referred to as "Tenessee Tories" They both were from Cookville, TN and were in the 2nd Tn. Inf.
          Pvt. S.D. Henry
          Co. A 3rd Maine Volunteer Infantry
          "Bath City Greys"

Comment

Hello,

My great-great grandfather, Henry Clay Harmon was from Claiborne County and enlisted with the 6th Tenn. Vol. Inf. Co H. I have several copies of original documents, which are hard to read. The copy is poor, but I was able to find where he was issued a belgian rifle..not much else related to gear. Henry was woundned a some point and spent the remainder of the war in Libby prison, where he barely survived...as I decipher more of the records, I'll post what I can.
            Dwight Cline

My Family:
            Benjamin F. Wright
            11th Missouri Vol. Cavalry Co. F
            Thomas G. Cline
            140th Rgt. Ohio Vol. Infantry
            Henry Clay Harmon
            6th Rgt. Tennessee Vol. Infantry Co. E (Union)
            Edward N. Campbell
            32nd Rgt. Ohio Vol. Infantry Co. K

Comment

I'm still trying to find a photograph or something of my ancestor during his service in the war. I saw at the McClung Museum years ago when they had the exhibit up with all those that were in the 8th TN Cav and there were several of them that were unidentified. I thought that one of the unidentified ones might have been him, but was not quiet sure of it. If anyone can help in locating a photograph of Pvt. Green Ray; Co. I, 8th TN Cav. that would be great.

Comment

My federal ancestors were with the 8th Tenn Infantry Reg Company C. They lived in Cocke County. There were four brothers: Benony C Fox, Robert M Fox, Elijah Fox and John M Fox. John actually fought for the Confederacy. He was with the 39th Mounted infantry. That regiment was at Vicksburg and was captured at the surrender. This is one of those East Tenn confederate regiments that was sent away from East Tenn, because of Richmond's distrust of the boys. John was severely wounded and never fully recovered. My grand father was Benony Carter Fox.

Family history says John was captured and forced into service with the federal army.
                As for the uniform and other day to day issues, heres a link to the available vet questionaires in the state archives: http://www.rootsweb.com/~tnalhn/tncwvetfedatow.htm
                Last edited by Greg Barnett; 02-20-2007, 03:19 PM.
                Greg S Barnett
                Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
                ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

My ggg grandfather served in the 7th TN Mounted Infantry, US. Other Union ancestors that I've discovered served in the 5th TN Mounted Infantry, and the 12th TN Cavalry.

If anyone is interested in East Tennessee Federals, I would recommend Mr. Myers Brown's "Tennessee's Union Cavalrymen".

Roy Queen

Comment

If you want some background info check out the Tennessee Civil War Questionairres, while there was a bit of a bias at the time they were taken, they do give some interesting information about the type of homes the men came from and what type of work they did, all the nice pre-war background stuff.
                    Jake Koch
                    The Debonair Society of Coffee Coolers, Brewers, and Debaters
                    https://coffeecoolersmess.weebly.com/

-Pvt. Max Doermann, 3x Great Uncle, Co. E, 66th New York Infantry. Died at Andersonville, Dec. 22, 1864.
                    -Pvt. David Rousch, 4x Great Uncle, Co. A, 107th Ohio Infantry. Wounded and Captured at Gettysburg. Died at Andersonville, June 5, 1864.
                    -Pvt. Carl Sievert, 3x Great Uncle, Co. H, 7th New York Infantry (Steuben Guard). Mortally Wounded at Malvern Hill.

Comment

Working...
                    X