East TN Federal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• East TN Federal

I have been trying to find a good source about East Tennessee Federals, particularly infantry. There is not much documentation about them. I was hoping maybe someone could point me in the right direction. Would an East Tennessee Federal Infantryman have worn a forage cap or a Hardee hat? What Depot(s) did most of their equipment come from? Could anyone shine some light on this subject?
    Justin Connor

Re: East TN Federal

Originally posted by Devildog0311 View Post
    I have been trying to find a good source about East Tennessee Federals, particularly infantry. There is not much documentation about them. I was hoping maybe someone could point me in the right direction. Would an East Tennessee Federal Infantryman have worn a forage cap or a Hardee hat? What Depot(s) did most of their equipment come from? Could anyone shine some light on this subject?
    Justin,
    Tennessee was a Confederate state so men wanting to join the Union Army fled to Kentucky where they joined up in places like Flat Lick, Barbourville, London, and Camp Dick Robinson. They recieved equipment from the US gov't. The 1st and 2nd Tn regiments recved Harper's Ferry Rifles the first year and Enfields after that. Many of their uniforms came from the Cincinnati Depot. I don't know much about the latter years, but the East Tn Feds spent the first 2 years of the War in Ky.
    everett taylor
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Comment

Hey Justin,

Try starting your research here http://www.tngenweb.org/ I don't think it tells you any specifics but it is a good start IMO. I've used the link and it helped me with some research.

I actually 2 or 3 folks that might be ancestors from that area that I am slowly researching myself. I know of 2 Iricks that joined the 2nd Tennessee Cavalry. One, Lawrence joined Ashby's (not Turner) 2nd CONFEDERATE Tennessee Cavalry while the other whose name escapes me at the moment joined up the 2nd Union Tennessee Cavalry. They were both from Knox County.

I would try this website's search button, and if no dice there perhaps someone could give some more help.
      Herb Coats
      Armory Guards &
      WIG

Comment

Remember though, Tennessee may have been Confederate, but the East Tennessee area was mostly Pro Union and yes those wanting to fight did have to go to another place like Kentucky to enlist. Pictures that are linked to East Tennessee soldiers show them wearing just about every different kind of head gear possible. Contact me and I can get you hooked up with all the information about the East TN area that you want or die trying.
        Last edited by easttnfed; 02-15-2007, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help guys!
          Justin Connor

Comment

Daniel Ellis
            13th Tennessee Cav. Regiment Co. A

Photo from Scott and Angel's History of the 13th Regiment
            Attached Files

Comment

I found a fellow who looks very much like an Eastern Federal. He was in the
              2nd Tennessee Infantry. His name is PVT Andrew Owens. He was captured at Rogersville, TN. He died in Andersonville on June 9, 1864, of sever diharrea.

Justin Connor

Comment

I thank you guys for helping me find this stuff. Maybe these photos can be of help to someone else also trying to find sources on Tennessee Federals.
                This is PVT Adam Finger, 5th Tennessee Infantry. I noticed he is wearing a fatigue blouse. Possibly Cincinatti Depot?
                Justin Connor

Comment

Boys,
                  Nice to see Tenn US troops getting some well-deserved attention!
                  My own g-g-grandaddy, William Lacy O'Dell served with Co. E, 2nd Tenn Inf. He hailed from Tazewell Co. He died of disease (as many, many of this unit did), and his final resting place is unknown.
                  Mark Warren
                  Hairy Nation Boys
                  [COLOR="Green"]Gooseberry Pie
                  "The Official Dessert of the Hairy Nation Boys"[/COLOR]
                  Mark Warren
                  Bloomfield, Iowa

Comment

Tazewell County, VA? My ancestors were from that area also. I had some relatives in the 34th Bttn VA Cav (CS), 10th KY (CS), 22nd VA (CS), and 39th KY MTD INF (US). I have a new interest in East TN Federals. I live in the Northeast part. I think its interesting at how different their thoughts were. They were surrounded by Confederates. You have to wonder just how much grit those guys had in their gut to stand up for what they believed in regardless of what their neighbor or their brother thought. They simply wanted to keep the country together. Not much is ever heard about the East TN boys. I sympathize for both sides, but the East Tennessee boys were real heroes. They deserve more recognition than what they get.
                    Justin Connor

Comment

Right you are.
                      Forrest hated them as traitors to the state, and they had a bad go of things at Andersonville.
                      Both my grandaddy and his brother, along with several cousins, served the 2nd.
                      Mark Warren
                      Co. G, 11th Iowa Inf
                      Hairy Nation
                      [COLOR="Green"]Gooseberry Pie
                      "The Official Dessert of the Hairy Nation Boys"[/COLOR]
                      Mark Warren
                      Bloomfield, Iowa

Comment

You may want to read the book "Mountain Rebels" by W. Todd Groce. This book is largely about the confederates of East Tenn, but it really gives you a deep understanding of the socio-economic environment in the area. Lots of great statistics comparing East Tenn to Middle and West and the great differences. East Tenn nearly did what West Virginia did.
                        I am from the area and I have ancestors that fought both sides. The typical "brother agin brother". There are many accounts of men changing sides at different times during the War. Knoxville was a union hotbed with Parson Brownlow and his "Rebel Ventilator and Knoxville Whig" paper.

East Tenn was just starting to flourish before the war. The railway was completed at Moshiem TN around 1858 that opened northern markets. East Tenn flour was gaining popularity even in Europe.
                        Check out that book. Lots of info.
                        Greg S Barnett
                        Burlington Lodge #763 F&AM

New Knoxville Mess
                        ArmoryGuards/ WIG

Comment

I do have that book. It's very interesting. Yes, they did change sides on many occasions. I don't really understand whether they did it to keep from being captured or whether they did it because their thoughts changed.
                          Justin Connor

Comment

I agree, it is good to see the East Tenn. Feds getting some well deserved attention. Our area ( East Tenn) was obviously a very tense place to try to survive during those years. " Mountain Rebels" really enlightened me to issues on both sides of the coin. Like many of you I had family that fought for both sides, the family here (Chattanooga) were literally spilt. While all the family in Seqautchie valley fought for the Confederacy. It was interesting to read how many East Tenn Confederates,were even highly mistrusted by their commanders and own comrades. Many even being relocated to the deep south for duty, to avoid Unionist influence. I have several ancestors from Northern Alabama that were Union calvary scouts and it's been the devil, trying to research their service.
                            Eric N. Harley-Brown
                            Currently known to associate with the WIG/AG

"It has never been fully realized, nor appreciated by the people of the North-the great part in preserving the Union, the brave, loyal,and patriotic Union men, in the mountainous parts of the Southern states, rendered" - Orderly Sgt. Silas P. Woodall (2nd grt. grnd...) member of "Kennemers Union Scouts & Guides"-organized in Woodville, Alabama 1863.

Comment

I must agree with everything that has been said so far on this thread. Our battles around this area have also received little to no attention and our battle fields around where I live are getting bull dozed over each and every single day. Fort Sanders would have made a nice park for folks to visit if it wasn't under apartments and a hospital. Mossy Creek fell to development of industrial complexes and is getting ready to have a subdivision, Dandridge is still pretty much untouch, the mines control most of the forts in Straw Plains and the "Block House" fort on Knox County's side of the Holston, New Market is starting to loose some of its stuff, etc, etc.

For the men that lived here, I would have to say that they are my truest heroes of the war. Forget the Chamberlands, Bufords, Grants, Lees, and all those big names; these boys need more of the attention since they are not that well known. Pvt. Greene Ray of Co. I, 8th TN Cavalry (US) was my ancestor. He was from Union County, Tenn. and fought in all the major engagements that was around here. Even though he was a mule skinner, his grit and determination to fight those that he lived next to should go unnoticed. He lived well after the war and died in 1919.

Comment

Working...
                              X