Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whipple or Loomis Cap, Illinois Brigade.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whipple or Loomis Cap, Illinois Brigade.

Hello, Looking for help. The 1st Illinois Brigade received a new uniform in August-September, 1861, part of which was the Whipple or Loomis style of hat. The Whipple from photos had a soft felt crwon, almost baggy appearance. The Loomis hat, from a photo of a Sergeant in the 8th Illinois Infantry, is of a stiff felt with folding brim. I believe I saw an article once on Loomis Hats in a North South Trader Magazine from years ago. Does anyone have this issue?? And are there any other photos of men wearing the Loomis issue hat?

Thanks,

Tom Arliskas
    csuniforms
    Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown
    Tom Arliskas

Re: Whipple or Loomis Cap, Illinois Brigade.

According to the Chicago Tribune, " . . . the hat was of a soft durable felt, grey, moderately high crowned, cocked at the sides by a simple button." Sounds almost like a semi-tricorn pattern. Military Images did an Illinois issue many years ago but there were no examples in there.
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Originally posted by roundshot View Post
      According to the Chicago Tribune, " . . . the hat was of a soft durable felt, grey, moderately high crowned, cocked at the sides by a simple button." Sounds almost like a semi-tricorn pattern. Military Images did an Illinois issue many years ago but there were no examples in there.
      This sounds more like the gray hardee hats issued to some early Illinois regiments.
      Scott Cross
      "Old and in the Way"

Comment

This Guy on the Shiloh registration info has the hat in question on.
        Attached Files
        Rod Miller
        [COLOR=SlateGray]Old Pards[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=DarkRed]Cornfed Comrades[/COLOR]
        [COLOR=Navy]Old Northwest Volunteers[/COLOR]

[FONT=Palatino Linotype]"We trust, Sir, that God is on our side." "It is more important to know that we are on God's side."
        A. Lincoln[/FONT]

150th Anniversary
        1861 Camp Jackson-Sgt. German Milita US
        1st Manassas- Chaplain T. Witherspoon, 2nd Miss. Inf. CS
        1862 Shiloh -Lt. ,6th Miss. Inf. CS
        1863 VicksburgLH-Captain Cephas Williams, 113th Co.B US
        Gettysburg BGA- Chaplain WilliamWay, 24th MI US
        1864 Charleston Riot-Judge Charles Constable "Copperhead".
        Bermuda Hundred Campaign-USCC Field Agent J.R. Miller

Comment

In my own research into the Whipple caps, there seems to have been at least two variations on the same headgear. The first style, which conforms exactly to George Whipple's patent specifications, utilizes a one-piece molded fur or wool felt body (exactly like a regular old hat). The second style is roughly the same size and shape but utilizes a number of wool felt yardage pieces presumably sewn together to form the finished item. Both variations had an enamelled leather visor about the size and shape of a kepi visor, some bound at the edges and some unbound. An embossed leather sweatband, grosgrain brim binding, and leather chinstrap finished the cap.

I have yet to view an original pieced Whipple cap but they seem to have been issued to early Vermont and New Hampshire regiments. The one-piece felt Whipple cap seem to have been issued to many New England regiments as well as the U.S. Sharpshooters.

I am unaware of Whipple caps being made for or purchased for early mid-western regiments; it seems that the Loomis cap was something produced in Chicago and stayed in-state. Years ago C. Paul Loane and I conversed about both the Whipple and Loomis caps, and he shared some research he had uncovered about the Loomis caps; I cannot recall the details but he did include several images of Illinois soliders wearing such headgear. You might want to check out his book "U. S. Army Headgear, 1812-1872" for more information. I've also tried to locate any patent specs on the Loomis caps but came up short.

A repro of the Whipple cap is produced by Bill Wickham (Dirty Billy) based on the patent specifications I provided to him several years ago and since then I've made one myself in recent years. Reproducing the Loomis cap yourself may not be a far cry as long as you can locate the appropriate hat blank!

Brian White
          Wambaugh, White, & Co.
          Producers of museum-grade Civil War uniforms and accessories for the historian who demands accurate reproductions.
          Brian White
          [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
          [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
          [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

In the photograph it appears that the man's cap has a leather chinstrap and possibly a visor.

Since my last post I have recalled that Whipple was a representative of the Seamless Clothing Manufacturing Company in NYC, and had been in contact with hat manufacturing companies in the mid-west during 1861. It could be possible that Loomis had the idea for his military headgear from Whipple, or perhaps the other way around.

Brian White
            Wambaugh, White, & Co.
            Producers of museum-grade Civil War uniforms and accessories for the historian who demands accurate reproductions.
            Brian White
            [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]

Comment

There are two guys I know that might be able to help with some info, that would be Greg Schuller and John Pillers. Both a wealth of info on IL troops. I will try and bump this there way and see if you can get a response.

Ken Irvin
              TSM
              Ken Irvin

Comment

Illinois Brigade.

Thanks for the note Ken...

I sure wich Greg would chime in. In addition to the Riddle (8th IVI) image, I've seen another suspect. This was a 1st Ill. Cav trooper printed in Military Images a long while back. I believe he was from one of the companies in S. Ill and SE Missouri so he didn't get catched at Lexington.

Tom, would the Carrington (sp?) 11th Ill. diary at Chicago provide any help. He was fairly descriptive on uniforms. I believe he mentioned a peaked or beaked cap (?). Said they didnt like them. Believe his company replaced them with ..... red caps.

John Pillers
                John Pillers
                Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

'We're putting the band back together'

Comment

Re: Whipple or Loomis Cap Carrington

Hello, John, Dont remember what Carrington said about the Whipples, and I dont have all the diary entries-- just made some handwritten notes many years ago. I know that there was an article in one of the North South Traders on Whipple and Loomis hats. My question is how did the Loonis work, the same as the Whipple? Fold down side and back? All is well with the book..

Tom Arliskas
                  csuniforms
                  Tom Arliskas

Comment

From what I can garner from Whipple's headgear patent specs, there was no trick to raising or dropping the brim. It's shaped in such a way that it droops down at a 45 degree angle which when raised into an upward position will stay in that position. Hooks (on the tips of the front brim) and adjoining eyes (on the leather visor), could be used to keep the brim tips from drooping to the side of the face.

There are a few original Whipple Caps out there, notably a pristine condition, electric-blue example in the Don Troiani Collection as well as a battered and beaten gray felt example IDed to Pvt. Leonard Small, Co. D 2nd U.S. Sharpshooters. The interesting thing about the Small cap is that there are slits cut into the brim itself to allow the wearer to bring the chinstrap down or pin the brim up if they wanted. I haven't seen this feature in another original Whipple Cap so I feel that it as a field modification made by Pvt. Small.

Photos of the L. Small seamless cap courtesy John Gunderson and linked from www.berdansharpshooters.com.

http://www.berdansharpshooters.com/hat1.jpg
                    http://www.berdansharpshooters.com/hat2.jpg
                    http://www.berdansharpshooters.com/hat3.jpg

Brian White
                    Wambaugh, White, & Co.
                    Brian White

Comment

Re: Whipple or Loomis Cap, Illinois Brigade. GREAT

Hello, Great feedback guys, thank you. Will dig into the two hats and come up with some more info. soon. The soldiers are very silent on the issue of the caps as to if they liked them or not, and I doubt if the Loomis Hats made it past April of 1862 in the field.
                      Thanks Tom
                      csuniforms
                      Tom Arliskas

Comment

state jackets

T. Arliskas,

On a side note, if you get any 'static' trying to look at some of those jackets, let me know as I have a friend who may be able to help in an official capacity.

John Pillers
                        John Pillers
                        Looking for images/accounts of 7th through 12th Ill. Inf. regiments from April 1861 - April 1862

Comment

Hello, Thanks John, was going to make the trek over the weekend, but mother nature cut me the quick-- So am putting it on my calendar to get er' done in March. Have three Chapters done on Illinois Uniforms and Regiments.-- My readers will be happy and surprised-- lots of good stuff here.

On the Loomis and Whipple-- Did find an article in an old Company of Military Historian Journal on Burnside and the Whipple-- Will share when I can sit down for an evening and complile the article for this Forum.

Am in contact with folks in Springfield and if I need more help will get in touch with you.

Thanks
                          csuniforms
                          Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown.
                          Tom Arliskas

Comment

Stillhammer boys

Tom,

You probably have seen this image, but just in case. (second one down)

It used to be on some 'Illinois Alive' web site (along with a ton of 52nd or maybe 57th, images) but that appears to have disappeared.

John Pillers
                            John Pillers

Comment

Working...
                            X