SW Virginia and the Columbus Depot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SW Virginia and the Columbus Depot

Pards, I have a question that someone may know the answer to. Southwest Virginia, in certain locations, was closer to Georgia than it was to Richmond. Richmond Depot was issued to Virginia a lot of Virginia troops, but their geographic location makes me curious. Documentation is hard to find for units in this area. My question is, was it possible that some of these guys were issued Columbus Depot items ( i.e. Jackets, kepis, accouterments, etc.)? I noticed in some photos of Kentuckians, some of those guys have Columbus Depot style jackets and kepis. Some Army of Tennessee buckles were even dug at Murfeesborough and Tullahoma that were thought to have been worn by the Kentuckians. The Kentuckians are very close neighbors to Southwest Virginians. Would it have been common to see Columbus Depot items in the Department of Southwest Virginia? A lot of units from that area did some campaigns in Tennessee such as Bull's Gap and Greenville, Carter's Depot, the battle at Unicoi, and others within the area. This is another reason why this question has me curious. Doing campaigns in Tennessee, could they have possibly gotten a hold of some Columbus depot items or any Army of Tennessee items( belt buckles or other items)? Any input would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Justin S. Connor
    Last edited by Devildog0311; 02-26-2007, 03:17 PM.
    Justin Connor

Re: SW Virginia and the Columbus Depot

They could have drawn out of the depot's at either Staunton or Wytheville. Also, I posted some info. previously about the Knoxville depot.

I have heard rumors of an alleged Wytheville depot jacket in the AHC collection. Staunton is also rumored to have had their own clothing manufactory but I don't know of any surviving pieces.

Best,
    Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
    PO BOX 4849
    Midlothian, VA 23112
    www.richmonddepot.com
    (804)305-2968

Comment

Justin,
      Kentuckians were cutoff from their home state and thus relied on the CS Gov't for uniform and equipment needs. They were issued CD Jackets like the rest of the AOT.
      You may have to research the individual Virginia regiments you are interested in.
      everett taylor
      [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Comment

I've seen one of the "western" rounded corner "CS" plates with blackened background that came from Bristol, VA/TN.

Also, Kentuckian George Dallas Mosgrove of the 4th Kentucky Cavalry which served in the upper Valley and western VA recalled how his brigade in November 1864 received "probably four hundred suits of most excellent dark gray clothing, of English manufacture, which had recently run the blockade. The clothing came none to soon . . . " See "Kentucky Cavaliers in Dixie," edited by Bell Irvin Wiley, 1957, p. 228. [I bought this book for $6.00 new when I was young. God, I'm getting old].

While anecdotal evidence only, perhaps it will help someone.
        Bob Williams
        26th North Carolina Troops
        Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Depot View Post
          Staunton is also rumored to have had their own clothing manufactory but I don't know of any surviving pieces.
          Scott,
          At the VHL John Nolan had a jacket that was copied off of an original that is said to have a Staunton Depot provenance.
          William L. Shifflett
          Valley Light Horse and Lord of Louisa

"We are still expecting the enemy. Why dont he come?" -JEB Stuart

In Memory of 3 Sox, 4th Va Cavalry horse, my mount, my friend. Killed in action January 9th, 2005.

Comment

William,

Not sure what VHL stands for. You young guys and your slang. :tounge_sm Did you ask for any provenance for the repro. ?

Best,
            Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
            PO BOX 4849
            Midlothian, VA 23112
            www.richmonddepot.com
            (804)305-2968

Comment

Sent you a PM Scott.
              William L. Shifflett
              Valley Light Horse and Lord of Louisa

"We are still expecting the enemy. Why dont he come?" -JEB Stuart

In Memory of 3 Sox, 4th Va Cavalry horse, my mount, my friend. Killed in action January 9th, 2005.

Comment

Justin,

In the fall of 1862 when the Columbus Depot was first coming into its full production swing it was noted in the Columbus Daily Sun that in addition to six car loads of garments and shoes being shipped to Richmond, another 5,000 individual garments were sent to the CS army of Western Virginia. So it would seem that at this particular point at least some garments were making their way through.

As with anything CS supply-related, you must always remember that as the war progressed and the railroads and rolling stock of the South steadily deteriorated, supply from all but the most local of sources became an ever-increasing nightmare. What may seem a geographically short distance as the crow flies may have indeed been doubled or even tripled by the condition of the railroads and may have been made an impossibility by several federal armies occupying the intervening miles.

The point is that as with everything in this hobby, the appropriate impression will be dictated by time, place, and unit.

Hope this helps!

Best,
                Dan Wambaugh
                Wambaugh, White, & Company
                www.wwandcompany.com
                517-303-3609
                Become our fan on Facebook by clicking HERE

Comment

Thanks Gents! Your input is very much appreciated.It would be pretty neat to see that Staunton Depot jacket.

Cheers,
                  Justin S. Connor
                  Justin Connor

Comment

From the Civil War soldiers and sailors site at http://www.civilwar.nps.gov/cwss/index.html

" 34th Cavalry Battalion, formerly the 1st Battalion Virginia Mounted Rifles, was organized in December, 1862. The unit served in A.G. Jenkins', W.E. Jones', V.A. Witcher's, and B.T. Johnson's Brigade and first engaged the Federals in western Virginia. It had a force of 172 men at Gettysburg, returned to western Virginia, then was involved in operations in East Tennessee. During April, 1864, it contained 222 effectives, saw action at Piedmont, and served with Early in the Shenandoah Valley. The 34th disbanded at Lynchburg in April, 1865. Lieutenant Colonel Vinson A. Witcher, and Majors John A. McFarlane and William Straton were in command."

"22nd Cavalry Regiment completed its organization in October, 1863. The unit served in W.L. Jackson's and McCausland's Brigade and confronted the Federals in Tennessee, western Virginia, and the Shenandoah Valley. During April, 1865, it disbanded. The field officers were Colonel Henry S. Bowen, Lieutenant Colonel John T. Radford, and Major Henry F. Kendrick"

That would PROBABLY mean commutation, Staunton,Wytheville, or Richmond(at least for the 34th and later in the war) and PROBABLY not Columbus Depot, but it doesn't definelty rule it out. I emphasis the probably.
                    Derek Carpenter
                    Starr's Battery

"First at Bethel, farthest at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, last at Appomattox"

Comment

Confederate units from Kentucky were some of the first to be issued the CD. As mentioned before they relied on the CS gov't. It is also believed that some of the ANV troops got their hands on some CD's. Longstreets boys were with the AoT about the same time that most AoT troops were being issued theirs. Very possible that if these Kentucky troops and ANV troops had them then some of the SW Virginia boys could get them too.
                      Heath Potter

South Union Guards
                      Star and Crescent Mess
                      A.E.K.D.B.

Bummers
                      Franklin Preservation March
                      Backwater 1865

Comment

Derek,

Mike McComas and Skip Mclean of this forum belong to the 34th Battalion, Va. Cav. and may pick up on this thread. They can probably contribute quite a bit on this unit's uniforms and equippage. They along with other members of their organization have done an incredible amount of research on this unit. As to supplies from Richmond, I believe that one of their member may own an original CS Richmond Carbine documented to belonging to my gr-gr. uncle John Mullins who served with the 34th.
                        Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
                        PO BOX 4849
                        Midlothian, VA 23112
                        www.richmonddepot.com
                        (804)305-2968

Comment

I think I might know him. I think that might be Ken Smith. I know a few of those guys. My cousin wrote the Virginia Regimental History on the 34th. His name is Scott Cole. However, his book doesn't mention anything on this subject. No one really knows exactly what they wore, its mostly a guessing game.
                          Justin Connor

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong, it did not depend on what state a regiment was organized/mustered into service from, the Regiment was issued clothing from the depot the Regiment saw service in, i.e. Kentucky units in the ANV received Richmond Depot issued clothing, and Kentucky units in the Army of the Tennessee received Columbus Depot issued clothing. Units that transferred between different theaters and then back again could have received garments depending on when and where they were issued, i.e. Longstreet at Chickamauga and Kentucky units moving into the valley. I’ve also read that garments were moved between depots depending on need and the quantity of uniforms on hand at any given time? Having lived outside of Staunton in the past for some time and having kin in Augusta County & The Valley, Staunton and Augusta County are of great interest to me. I read an interesting book a couple of years ago; The Shenandoah Valley Campaign of 1864 byJack H. Lepa. The book is about Hunter’s Valley and subsequent Lynchburg Campaigns. I believe that the book mentions that harnesses and other items were issued at Staunton to troops coming into the valley from Southwestern Virginia. These troops were moving up the valley to join Breckenridge before the Battle of New Market. The book also discusses the Federal and Confederate actions at the Battle of the Piedmont, the burning of VMI, and the defense of Lynchburg. It was a good book.
                            Last edited by rmassella; 02-27-2007, 11:40 AM.
                            [FONT="Times New Roman"]Robert Masella
                            Wheeling Fencibles
                            Pridgeon's Shenandoah Legion
                            Southern Division

"Quem Deus vult perdere, prius dementat" (The one whom God wants to destroy, he first makes mad): Col. S. Crutchfield, (Jackson's Chief of Artillery)[/FONT]

Comment

The way the Confederate Quartermaster system worked, if a unit needed uniforms, they submitted a requisition for the needed supplies. The quartermaster department then decided which depot could best fill the order. That wasn't always the closest depot. There are records of Columbus depot clothing being sent to Virginia. It usually didn't matter where the unit in need came from. Some states, such as NC, maintained there own depots in Richmond, but the majority of clothing would have came through the central government depot system.
                              Derek Carpenter
                              Starr's Battery

"First at Bethel, farthest at Gettysburg and Chickamauga, last at Appomattox"

Comment

Working...
                              X