SW Virginia and the Columbus Depot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SW Virginia and the Columbus Depot

I am also interested in what uniforms were issued in that part of the country. The unit we portray, McClung's Tennessee Battery, received clothing from the Dublin Virginia depot on October 8th, 1863. Capt McClung wrote, "My men are absolutely without clothing and are barefooted and are unfit for duty without the articles named in the above requisition". He requested 50 blankets, 50 jackets, 50 prs pants, 50 overcoats, 100 shirts, 100 prs drawers, 100 prs socks, 50 prs boots (or shoes), 50 caps (or hats), and 5 packing boxes.

About half the items were crossed out on the requisition and he only received 50 jackets, 50 overcoats, 100 shirts, 50 caps, and 5 packing boxes. I don't have privileges to post attachments, otherwise I would attach the requisition form.

I have not been able to find out what types of uniforms they were issued from Dublin.

Michael Dec
    Rutledge/McClung's Tennessee Battery
    Michael Dec
    McClung's Tennessee Battery
    http://armydrawers.echoes.net/

Comment

Gents,

I thought I'd post an image of this jacket since Scott made mention of it. This is the supposed Wythville Depot jacket that currently resides at the AHC. The image was taken while it was at the Kennesaw RR Museum I believe. An interesting jacket for sure, the shoulder straps match most Richmond jackets but the collar is trimmed with very narrow, faded tape. The rest of the details you can see for yourself. It does have six Virginia buttons.

Neill Rose
      PLHA
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Scout View Post
        Gents,

I thought I'd post an image of this jacket since Scott made mention of it. This is the supposed Wythville Depot jacket that currently resides at the AHC. The image was taken while it was at the Kennesaw RR Museum I believe. An interesting jacket for sure, the shoulder straps match most Richmond jackets but the collar is trimmed with very narrow, faded tape. The rest of the details you can see for yourself. It does have six Virginia buttons.

Neill Rose
        PLHA
        Neill,
        Are the Virginia buttons period or post-war?
        everett taylor
        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Wambaugh View Post
          Justin,

In the fall of 1862 when the Columbus Depot was first coming into its full production swing it was noted in the Columbus Daily Sun that in addition to six car loads of garments and shoes being shipped to Richmond, another 5,000 individual garments were sent to the CS army of Western Virginia. So it would seem that at this particular point at least some garments were making their way through.

As with anything CS supply-related, you must always remember that as the war progressed and the railroads and rolling stock of the South steadily deteriorated, supply from all but the most local of sources became an ever-increasing nightmare. What may seem a geographically short distance as the crow flies may have indeed been doubled or even tripled by the condition of the railroads and may have been made an impossibility by several federal armies occupying the intervening miles.

The point is that as with everything in this hobby, the appropriate impression will be dictated by time, place, and unit.

Hope this helps!

Best,
          Good point Dan.
          You have to remember for the most part SW Va. depots were used to move things back to the center of VA. and get things coming in at the same time. Some stuff was moved out of the depots to other parts of the CSA but those rail lines moved into some pretty hostile areas and were cut off alot. Also the depots were small. Dublin is still a tiny town. Wythville was proably the largest but it was still small fish. I have read and seen pics of the 51st Va that spent alot of time in that area and have never seen a CD jacket on any pics I have seen. Of course alot of the photos are pre 63actually most of the photos I have seen of units in that area have been pre63. Itsrue that alot of those units were sort of left out of the loop not seeing much real action until the 64 Valley campain so finding any real records of issue of material is going to be hard. Would love to see more on this as it is a very un heard of part of the war in VA.
          Chris Owens

[B][URL="http://http://www.civilwar.org/"][FONT="Arial Narrow"]CWPT[/URL][/B]
          [/FONT][email]ooschris@hotmail.com[/email]

Comment

I'd be very interested in more details about Wythville and Staunton Depot jackets. design details, colors, fabrics, etc.

The American Civil war Society in the UK (www.acws.co.uk) has an article that references a Wytheville Depot jacket made of a heavy dark grey wool with features of the Richmond Depot Type III. But ither than that and a drawing, I have not been able to locate any other references to Wythville Deport jackets other than on this thread.

The article of reference can be found at:
            http://www.acws.co.uk/archives/military/depots.htm
            Ian Macoy
            Blue Ridge, VA

Comment

Unfortunately, I am not familiar with any surviving articles with explicit provenance to the Staunton Depot. In doing research on VMI Cadet uniform items, I did run across records in the VMI Order Book 1863 that the Cadets would be recieving shoes from Staunton as a Christmas present from the Institute (bill to be sent home to parents).

Others have mentioned that the Staunton Depot manufactured actual uniforms and flags, but to the best of my knowledge there's not conclusive documentation available for this. This would be a worthwhiloe endeavor to track down and make available to the masses.

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
              23rd VA Regt.
              Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
              (Loblolly Mess)
              [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
              [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Neil,

Was there any information on this piece ( Wytheville Jacket AHC) regarding the provenance ? I have heard about this piece for a couple of years now.

Best,
                Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
                PO BOX 4849
                Midlothian, VA 23112
                www.richmonddepot.com
                (804)305-2968

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox View Post
                  Unfortunately, I am not familiar with any surviving articles with explicit provenance to the Staunton Depot. In doing research on VMI Cadet uniform items, I did run across records in the VMI Order Book 1863 that the Cadets would be recieving shoes from Staunton as a Christmas present from the Institute (bill to be sent home to parents).

Others have mentioned that the Staunton Depot manufactured actual uniforms and flags, but to the best of my knowledge there's not conclusive documentation available for this. This would be a worthwhiloe endeavor to track down and make available to the masses.

Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
                  23rd VA Regt.
                  I am amused that VMI's Christmas present to the cadets was a bill to their parents for the shoes.
                  Sincerely,
                  Emmanuel Dabney
                  Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
                  http://www.agsas.org

"God hasten the day when war shall cease, when slavery shall be blotted from the face of the earth, and when, instead of destruction and desolation, peace, prosperity, liberty, and virtue shall rule the earth!"--John C. Brock, Commissary Sergeant, 43d United States Colored Troops

Comment

Scott,

There is little documentation with jacket to my understanding. When Gordon Jones get back from vacation in a couple weeks, I'll ask in for more information and report back. That whole collection includes some great items including the Schumpert frock and trousers; they certainly aren't made from "ticking" but that's another story.

Neill Rose
                    PLHA

Comment

Fellas, since you're on this subject,do any of you happen to have a copy of ''CADET GRAY AND BUTTERNUT BROWN'' by Thomas Arliskas? I got a copy recently and it has some content you might find most interesting. It speaks of the Columbus Depot and there being four Factories there such as the Eagle Mills and the Grant Factory producing Osnaburgs among other fabrics. By the way,it's nice to know you're back Paul (Calloway). Clifford Earl Hyde:)

Comment

Has any information come to light regarding the "Staunton Depot" jacket housed in the AHC? I am very interested in this jacket.

Thank you,

Adam Dickerson
                        Adam Dickerson

Comment

I seem to recall a uniform that was id'd as coming from either the Wytheville or Danville Depot. I had photos saved at one time, but cannot locate them.

The book, " Contested Borderland" by Brian McKnight has a few period references to the depot at Wytheville.
                          ~Marc Shaffer~

Comment

Working...
                          X