Making a Musket Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making a Musket Box

My husband, Mike, needs to make a musket box and a search of the archives didn't turn up any instructions. Does anyone know the dimensions of such a box (the musket is a little more than 56 inches long)? Does the end of a straight board across like an ammunition box to allow some purchase for the fingers?

Thanks for any assistance.

Virginia Mescher
    Virginia Mescher
    vmescher@vt.edu
    http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Re: Making a Musket Box

Originally posted by VIrginia Mescher View Post
    My husband, Mike, needs to make a musket box and a search of the archives didn't turn up any instructions. Does anyone know the dimensions of such a box (the musket is a little more than 56 inches long)? Does the end of a straight board across like an ammunition box to allow some purchase for the fingers?

Thanks for any assistance.

Virginia Mescher
    Ms. Mescher,

Long arms were shipped in boxes usually containing twenty of the same type. These were designed to hold both the weapon, and it's bayonet, tompion, and, in many cases the sling as well.

The arms were packed in two rows, barrels in opposing directions, and supported by cleats. The bayonets were usually packed into the area beneath the weapons, again held in place by slots, cleats, etc. There were hoolow areas on either end of the box to hold tompions and slings, and the whole, after being packed, was filled with tow before the top was affixed.

If your husband is desirous of making one of these packing cases, I would be happy to supply you with the appropriate information, but I will need the type of weapon he is planning on using.

If he would rather eesearch it himself, then the data may be found within the 1862 Ordnance manual.

Respectfully,
    Tim Kindred
    Medical Mess
    Solar Star Lodge #14
    Bath, Maine

Comment

Dear Mrs Mescher,

Here are links to relevant material from the Ordnance Manual Tim referenced.

Ron Myzie
      Last edited by ephraim_zook; 03-06-2007, 01:41 PM. Reason: Forgot one link

Comment

Thanks to everyone for your posts. He'll be able to make a really good looking box of the proper size.
        Virginia Mescher
        vmescher@vt.edu
        http://www.raggedsoldier.com

Comment

While this may not be exactly what you are looking for I do hope that it will help. The photos attached are from the Virginia Historical Society's exibit on the Virginia Manufactory of Arms and they show (partially) a crate made at the Virginia Manufactory or the State Penitentiary for muskets made at the Virginia Manufactory. The exibit is incredible and, if in Richmond, you should see it! The first pic shows the crate with 5 muskets inside. The brackets that hold it's full compliment of 20 muskets are long gone but this gives an idea of how it was used.

The second shows the end of the box, it's label stating "Va. Manufactory - 20 Muskets - 3 feet, 6." (The later is the length of the barrels - 42 inches.) and rope handles and the card telling of it's history.

In the first photo you can see some of the joinery used in it's construction. This is a rare item, doubly so because of the Arsenal fromwhich it comes.
          Last edited by ACo.; 03-07-2007, 11:43 AM.
          Thomas Pare Hern
          Co. A, 4th Virginia
          Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Mr. Hern,

Beautiful images! Thanks for sharing them!!!
            Robert W. Hughes
            Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
            Thrasher Mess
            Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
            ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
            Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
            And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

Thank you Mr. Hughs, a friend took these and many more. It is a great exhibit and I hope everyone here makes an attempt to see it.
              Thomas Pare Hern
              Co. A, 4th Virginia
              Stonewall Brigade

Comment

QUOTE=Poor Private;52593]I came upon this site while looing for musket boxes myself. Hope this will help you out. You can store both the musket and the bayonet in it.
                Civil War Musket, Storage and Transport Boxes for Springfield, and Enfield muskets; and Sharps rifles. A unique, custom made musket box for reenactors and Civil War collectors.

Cris Westphal
                1st Mich Vol Inf.[/QUOTE]

"Musket crates" such as referenced in Messrs. Kindred's, Hern's and Myzie's posts are one thing and are documentable items used for shipment of muskets in bulk. A "musket box", however, is another thing altogether as reference to the website above will reveal. Does your husband intend this box as an item in which to simply ship or transport his musket? or did he have some "historical" use or presentation in mind?
                Last edited by Duke20thSC; 03-08-2007, 05:51 PM. Reason: clarity
                David Culberson
                20th SCVI/Palmetto Battalion
                Lexington, SC

Comment

Working...
                X