Confederate Research Compendium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Research Compendium

With the positive reaction to the publication of The Columbia Rifles Research Compendium, the Watchdog Quarterly is going ahead with plans to produce a Confederate compendium. The working title is Wearing the Gray (WTG), and the editor-in-chief will be Craig L. Barry. We have assembled a small group of editors (including John Tobey and Patrick Reardon among others) to assist Craig. The table of articles is under developement. We are also looking for article ideas from others. You may submit drafts or just article proposals to me at thedog@watchdogreview.com. I will forward them to the editors for evaluation and consideration.

The target date for WTG publication is late 2008. It will be comparable in size and structure to the CRRC2.

Of course, I am also willing to publish civilian compendiums (men's and women's) as well as ones for cavalry, artillery and other impressions. Proposals and editors are always welcome for these subjects.

As usual, all the net proceeds from Watchdog Quarterly are divided evenly between the Watchdog's preservation efforts and the editor(s)/or contributing organization(s).

Re: Confederate Research Compendium

Bill,

You probably want to assemble--if you haven't already done so--guidelines for researching and annotating articles, and guidelines for graphics (both image quality/pixels, and copyright issues).

Also, the CRRC is geared almost exclusively toward Eastern Federal infantry (although much of it is applicable to other theatres and portrayals). What's the intended focus of a Confederate compendium--East, West, both, infantry-only, etc.?

Comment

This is great news
      [B]Steven Cone
      "The Dippin' Gourd Mess"
      <A HREF="http://www.americancivilwar.50megs.com/SilverSpringMess.html"><I>"Silver Spring Mess"</i></A> <br>Stones River Nat'l Battlefield Volunteer
      Living Historian and Battlefield Preservationist
      [COLOR="Blue"]ACPP ; CWPT ; BONPS ; STFB [/COLOR][/B]

[I][B]January 18-20, 2008 "The Calm Before The Storm" <br>April 19, 2008 "Fort Granger" Federal Living History: Franklin, TN"<br>June 20-22, 2008 "The Eastern Flank" Federal Living History: Franklin, TN[/I][/B]

Comment

Indeed it is great news! Thanks.
        ~ Chris Hubbard
        Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
        [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

Let me jump in here... My co-editor, partner and the sine quo non for this project is William Adams, and we are being assisted by John Tobey of the CRs, Patrick Reardon of the (UK) Lazy Jacks Mess, Tom Ezell of the 6th AK Capitol Guards and others. We have been putting together a diverse and top notch team of other subject matter experts from the ranks of historians, firearms collectors, CW enactors/enthusiasts and historical researchers many of whom are in possession of original documents and material culture. It will not duplicate the content of the CRRC 2nd ed. We are about a year into the project with an eye towards a mid-to-late 2008 publication. Additional details will follow as the publication date gets closer.

We are delighted by the enthusiastic support from the Authentic Campaigner Forums for the Watchdog publications such as Columbia Rifles Research Compendium 2nd Edition, Civil War Muskets: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy and Making Cartridges. We believe "Wearing the Gray" will follow in that tradition and serve the South as proudly as the CRRC 2nd edition does the AoP.
          Last edited by Craig L Barry; 03-06-2007, 09:27 PM. Reason: clarification
          Craig L Barry
          Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
          Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
          Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
          Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

I shall be anxiously awaiting it's publication! CRRC2 is on my "Must Buy" list to add to my libray. Thanks in advance for your work on this book!!!
            [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
            Dirigo Grays
            CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
            Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

CS Research Compendium-What do you want to see?

Originally posted by Kevin O'Beirne View Post
              Bill,

You probably want to assemble--if you haven't already done so--guidelines for researching and annotating articles, and guidelines for graphics (both image quality/pixels, and copyright issues).

Also, the CRRC is geared almost exclusively toward Eastern Federal infantry (although much of it is applicable to other theatres and portrayals). What's the intended focus of a Confederate compendium--East, West, both, infantry-only, etc.?
              This might be the first time, at least where I have witnessed, authors asking their readers what they want to see.--

What are interested in? Original research on Confederate Material Culture? A Treatise on CS Clothing? Fabrics? Depot Jackets? How to sew your own? or Where to buy the best?" "The Trans-Mississippi Soldier?" "Army of Northern Virginia 1862?" "Enfield VS. Springfield?" "Orignal Firearms, Why not use them in the field, they did." You chime in.

CSuniforms
              Author; Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown.
              Tom Arliksas
              Tom Arliskas

Comment

FINALLY!!! I was wondering, after finishing the CRRC2, if there would be a Confederate version in the works. I'm ecstatic that there is interest enough to make such a monster! Best wishes and good luck!:D

P.S. Would there be a Western Federal book in the works?

Cheers,
                Guy W. Gane III
                Casting Director/Owner
                Old Timey Casting, LLC.

Member of:
                49th NYVI Co. B
                The Filthy Mess

Historian since 1982 - Reenactor since birth - Proud Member of the 'A.C.' since September 2004.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Gane III View Post
                  Would there be a Western Federal book in the works?
                  The venerable Hardcracker Handbook covered the western federal fairly well, but most of the newer reenactors have probably never seen a copy.
                  [B]Charles Heath[/B]
                  [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

IMHO the Confederate version would be larger just due to the varied uniforms worn by the CSA. Still need to get my copy of the 2nd Edition CRRC. It will be a great resource for the boys in grey and my own knowledge base which is lacking on Confederate Uniforms etc. :D
                    Marc Riddell
                    1st Minnesota Co D
                    2nd USSS Company C
                    Potomac Legion

Comment

Until this book gets published, you might inquire of your pards whether any possess a copy of the 3d Mississippi manual published sometime last decade. A solid read.

I borrowed a friend's copy many years ago. Had it in my brief case. Went to the local library. Some wonderful person broke into my old truck and stole the brief case. The thief got the manual and some files about a couple of my car prowling cases. I put out a plea on this forum for a replacement copy and some saint whom I don't recall sent it to me sui gratus. Back to my friend went the new copy.

I'd borrow his copy again, but I'm afraid someone will break into my new truck.
                      Silas Tackitt,
                      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Originally posted by Silas View Post
                        Until this book gets published, you might inquire of your pards whether any possess a copy of the 3d Mississippi manual published sometime last decade.
                        That would have been Tom Czechanski in January 1998, for the 3rd Miss. Inf. Regiment's COI. It was $10 plus $3 S/H at that time. Fine collection of articles with just a little bit of duplication between it and the Hardcracker Handbook. About the only nit worth picking is I do wish he'd noted the sources of some of the articles that were chapters from books, or from obscure perodicals.
                        [B]Charles Heath[/B]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

Comment

With a little extra research, it was possible to track most of them down as to source...

One thing the Hardcracker book did get me to do was to start a clipping file of pertinent articles, sources, and what-nots for research... Some of the old-timey A-C posts had good stuff as well, and went into the file.

As volatile as web sites are, a good mantra is that "if you don't save it or write it down, you may not be able to find it again."
                          Tom Ezell

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Ezell View Post
                            With a little extra research, it was possible to track most of them down as to source...
                            Maj. Tom,

Yep. "Most of them" is the operative phrase. As anal rententive as I am about such things, I wanted the source for all of them. One other little tool that helped the 3MHB and HCHB was the addition of a table of contents and manual pagination. Some of those articles are 20 years old, and still as fresh as the day they were written, too. Others have aged a little bit, with the addition of new research.

One minor item overlooked in the rush to develop a CS compendium is the CRRC-1 had the advantage of 20 years of research pretty much compiled in one place on day one. I don't know that anyone really has that kind of draft article cache for confederate man, material, methods kicking about. While I hope so, I do doubt it, so the work shall be substantial in that regard.
                            [B]Charles Heath[/B]

Comment

Tom Arliskas, author of "Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown" is currently working on the CS clothing section for "Wearing the Gray". Most of Tom's research is based on period accounts or taken from period documentation as opposed to previously published research. As with other Watchdog publications, it is hoped that W T G will measure up, provide value to readers and stand the test of time.
                              Last edited by Craig L Barry; 05-02-2007, 03:25 PM.
                              Craig L Barry
                              Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                              Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                              Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                              Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Working...
                              X