Confederate Research Compendium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Confederate Research Compendium

I would suggest that you contact Lon Webster for and article or two per the TMD and/or European importations.

clweb@prodigy.net
    Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
    Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

Mr. Heath,

The Hardcracker Handbook could stand some revisions, is Cal still out there some where?

Joe Walker

Comment

Joe,

Cal actually posts on this forum from time to time. If you are hankering for an update, give the Columbia Rifles Research Compendium #2 a try. I think you'll like it.
        [B]Charles Heath[/B]
        [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Columbia Rifles Research Compendium (2nd Ed) has a tremendous amount of information that would be germane to any US Civil War enlisted impression. It has been one of our challenges in editing Wearing the Gray (WTG) not too duplicate what is already fully covered in CRRC # 2.

On the other hand, the research is turning up no shortage of Confederate-specific (vs AoP) information, and like E of G, there will probably be plenty of room on the bookshelf for both of these books.

I find myself re-reading sections of CRRC # 2 quite often for inspiration just because they are so well written and so sensibly laid out. To date, no one has returned a copy to The Watchdog because they are dissatisfied with the content.
          Craig L Barry
          Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
          Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
          Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
          Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

I am curious as to whether or not WTG will contain a section devoted to the assortment of leather (horse, cow, goat, etc...) used in the production of CS equipment and accoutrements. Rumors have abounded for years about the developement of an article/book about this subject.

Just a thought for an interesting topic to be covered.

Paul B. Boulden Jr.
            RAH VA MIL '04

23rd VA Regt.
            Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
            (Loblolly Mess)
            [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
            [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Re: Confederate Research Compendium-Leathers

Hello Stonewall, We have a gentleman, a Mr. Bill Adams that has been collecting and collating information on Confederate accoutrements for over 30 years. He has info on CS manufacturing and the outputs, that will change the forever what many believe to be the status quo on CS supply. One item Bill told me about was he believes many of the US haversacks we see in private collections are actually Confederate in manufacture, and he has the research to back it up. His knowledge of Enfield accoutrements is extreme--

The WTG is going tobe hopefully a real gem-- I am working on the Trans-Mississippi right now and have two items on clothing production that to me is very interesting. That the Depots in the Trans-Miss were giving out cloth and kits to people to make up uniforms. That in the production of Houston Depot jackets any quantity of cloth on hand, jeans, osnanburgs, or imported English gray, all would be cut up and made of the same pattern with the proper facings!! red, blue and yellow.-- Much more on Prices invasion of 1864 and other tidbits you will have to wait for:wink_smil

Tom Arliskas
              Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown.
              Tom Arliskas

Comment

I met Bill Adams about five years ago at the Summer CW show here in Richmond. Since that time, he has been both friend and mentor to us on both CW clothing and the Sutlering business in general. In addition to being one of the leading collectors of CS items, he is a great friend going way beyond the call of duty to assist us in our many projects.

Best,
                Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
                PO BOX 4849
                Midlothian, VA 23112
                www.richmonddepot.com
                (804)305-2968

Comment

Scott

You and me both. Only his expertise is not limited to just items from the Confederacy, though that is an area of special interest in his collection. Did he have anything to do with that excellent Enfield buckle sling you were making for a while? Bill Adams helped me extensively with The Civil War Musket, and wrote the foreward. Adams was an "Authentic Campaigner" before there was a term for it, except back then they were using mostly original equipment.

Tom

Glad to hear that Trans-Missisippi material is finished up, wasn't it was due in for editing about two weeks ago?
                  Last edited by Craig L Barry; 07-20-2007, 09:03 PM.
                  Craig L Barry

Comment

Re: Confederate Research Compendium-HA HA

Great things take time-- It took me three days to find it all and another three days just to sort it in piles another three days just to figure out what how to put it on paper. I have it sorted out now and will use my CGBB style by Battle and Year with sub-chapters on Depots and little tidbits. Two weeks came and went, but at least I have it out on the table. The rest is just sitting down and writing in a quiet area.

Tom
                    Tom Arliskas

Comment

Who would I contact about possibly submitting an article? I just recently finished writing an article about the English uniforms of the 27th NC which is being edited right now. Just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.
                      Regards,
                      Andrew Turner
                      Co.D 27th NCT
                      Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Craig,

While Bill provided some of the inspiration for the project, we didn't bug him too much on it. As we gear up for the next run, I hope to have some sample pieces put together for him for the next Richmond Show for his critique. Tenatively, the next run will be in Buff, oiled and black finish. That is, if the buckles ever show up here.

Best,
                        Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
                        PO BOX 4849
                        Midlothian, VA 23112
                        www.richmonddepot.com
                        (804)305-2968

Comment

Sent PM to Andrew Turner

Scott

Well that sling of yours was an outstanding reproduction and Adams mentioned it to me as a good example. During research for The Civil War Musket, Adams went round and round with the British and Canadian museum folks on the fine points and I had a ring side seat to watch the fur fly. The buckle is certainly one key, I don't know why there are not more reproductions of the buckle since originals were not rare.

Tom

Take your time. It is more important that your chapters are the best they can be rather than getting to me for editing by a certain date. Adams and some of the others are running behind anyway.
                          Craig L Barry

Comment

'That the Depots in the Trans-Miss were giving out cloth and kits to people to make up uniforms. '

Tom,
                            Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but wasn't that being done at most Depots?
                            Patrick Landrum
                            Independent Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post
                              'That the Depots in the Trans-Miss were giving out cloth and kits to people to make up uniforms. '

Tom,
                              Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but wasn't that being done at most Depots?
                              Hello, This was the first time I actually saw it in print as part of the QM report. There is one more quote I have where a Trans-Mississippi Regiment is given bolts of cloth to make up uniforms. In the Columbus Depot and the Richmond Depot, they gave out kits to be sewn up. All of them bought clothing, jackets, trousers, shirts, already made up by the ladies, patterns unknown, and paid them in script or calicos and prints.

Tom Arliskas
                              CSuniforms
                              Tom Arliskas

Comment

Re: Confederate Research Compendium-Hello

Originally posted by 27thNCdrummer View Post
                                Who would I contact about possibly submitting an article? I just recently finished writing an article about the English uniforms of the 27th NC which is being edited right now. Just thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.
                                Regards,
                                Send it out to me if you want--CSuniforms message board

Tom Arliskas
                                CSuniforms
                                Tom Arliskas

Comment

Working...
                                X