Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mississippi Light Artillery Officer's Shell Jacket

Greetings,
    I found a photo of this Lt's shell jacket in Don Troiani's database and was wondering if anyone knew anything about it, i.e. date and material it is made of. I emailed Troiani, but he did not respond. According to the heading it belonged to a member of Co. H, 1st Mississippi Light Artillery. Since it is a copyrighted image, I can only publish a link to the photo.

Anon,

David Slay
    [FONT="Times New Roman"]David Slay, Ph.D[/FONT]
    [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Ranger, Vicksburg National Military Park[/FONT][/COLOR]

Re: Mississippi Light Artillery Officer's Shell Jacket

After a bit or research (looking in one of Troiani's books) here's what I uncovered: It was taken in the battleof Labadiesville, Louisiana, on October 27, 1862, by a Massachusetts soldier. The jacked was orginally a dark blue-gray.

David Slay
    Last edited by Vicksburg Dave; 03-09-2007, 04:00 PM. Reason: forgot to post full name.
    [COLOR="Red"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Ranger, Vicksburg National Military Park[/FONT][/COLOR]

Comment

I handled that jacket last year when I was at Don's for a short research trip. It's very impressive in a lot of ways. The material struck me as unique looking stuff; the wool yarns that comprise the face of the jeancloth are a medium indigo blue color while the cotton warp yarns appeared to be natural and chocolate brown yarns spun together before weaving. The lining is an incredibly tightly woven osnaburg, padded and quilted in the chest. Very cool jacket indeed!

Brian White
      Wambaugh, White, & Co.
      Producers of museum-grade Civil War uniforms and accessories for the historian who demands accurate reproductions.
      Brian White
      [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
      [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
      [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Now that was the kind of information I was looking for. Does anyone make any jean wool that even comes close it? Moreover, any chance of converting an existing pattern out there to make it? We portray the 1st Mississippi at Vicksburg NMP.

Cordially,

David Slay

Comment

If I can recall, Mr. Chris Daley had some info on this jacket in one of his newsletters. Don't know if he had more up close pictures available but maybe his "Port Hudson" trousers material could be made into a jacket. Give him a call or send him an email.

Hope this helps.
          James Ross

Comment

Working...
          X