Effective Tactics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Effective Tactics

I jump in this discussion very late, but made my way through most all of the dialog. Forgive me if I repeat anything already said, but this is my two cents.

I as well as all of you have long considered the significance the rifled musket had during the Civil War as well. I was taught at one time - through the USMC that indeed tactics could not keep up with the technological advances of the rifle, but over time I have reconsidered this as well.

Not that scientifically the rifled musket and minnie ball didn't make a significant difference in the range a bullet could reach out and touch you, but due to the ammo. load of infantry at that time, a commander may be less apt to have you fire at a range that you could potentially miss an individual target.

As Ken pointed out earlier, massing your fire on a specific target -while en masse- could well have created casualties, although not alot, at a much greater distance than muskets, and compounded the psychological stress of conducting an attack. As it was, most of the greater range casualties were inflicted by artillery, but imagine being massed for an attack 450 yards from the enemy's line and receiving a mass fire from a regiment in your front. Even if only five or ten men are hit - this is at a range that you are not normally receiving small arms casualties unless from a sharpshooter. At any rate this wasn't adopted by commanders and probably rightfully so for the simple problem of the ammo. load.

More significant than the rifled musket and minnie ball is the regular use of defensive works as the war wore on. But this in itself has direct correlation to the firle and minnie, as it was a tactical adaptation to the effectiveness and range of the threat. Naturally the defender will recieve fewer casualties as he is protected by breastworks, trees, etc. The attacker is in non-stop motion and likelihood of resupply is low. They fire less and inflict fewer casualties.

I also agree with Ken's assumption that many more wounds could have been reported as saber or bayonet wounds, as reading through the surgeon general's report, it is obvious a large number of the described wounds had to be inflicted by either edged or pointed weapons.

I have traditionally been told that most men had thrown away their bayonets after a while - seeing no use for them because they would never "let a Yank get that close" or what not. But, an 1864 inspection report of Cheatham's Division shows that of the 3,576 effective men for duty, only 505 lacked bayonets. That means - literally - that 6 out of 7 men were still carrying them.

Interesting discussion nonetheless.

Jamie Gillum

Comment

Re: Effective Tactics

With regards to range and accuracy, some friends and I used to target practice at an abandoned farm house. Literally at the house. Due to it's age and condition it looked like something from a CW era photo.
      We used a 61 Springfield, 53 Enfield, Enfield musketoon, and a Mississippi rifle at ranges from 200 to 350 yards. Granted a house presents a better target than most infantry soldiers you'll find, but we were able to verify accuracy and effect. Both were very good. We
      figured that even if you didn't hit the man you aimed at, your chances of hitting someone were still good.
      The chimneys were about 20" square(roughly the same face area as a mans chest) and we took these down from the top to the ground in short order.
      Fouling was not a huge problem, but we did have the luxury of ball lube and spit patch which we only used as needed, not with every round.
      My Dad grew up in NC and said he knew an old NC infantry veteran when he was very young. He said the mans front teeth, upper and lower, were badly worn down. When asked why, the old vet said it was from "shaving down musket balls". He said this was required after the weapon became too fouled. I don't know if this was true but it very well could be.

Robert Hooker
      Last edited by Brigand; 04-22-2007, 06:54 PM. Reason: grammer

Comment

Working...
      X