AOT sky blue or dark blue cotton jean trousers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AOT sky blue or dark blue cotton jean trousers

In the thread on the Chickamaga event for sept. it is mentioned that the AOT was issued sky blue or dark blue cotton jean trousers. Can anyone tell me the source of this info? Were they jean wool or a woven cotton? JIM HENSLEY
    [FONT="Century Gothic"][/FONT][FONT="Georgia"][/FONT][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Jim Hensley[/FONT]
    Order of Heptasophs 1852

Re: AOT sky blue or dark blue cotton jean trousers

Jim,
    From what I gather it was of a cotton jean material, and as the market is the only person making that type of material is Ben Tart and his material is a light blue indigo dyed cotton jean. Lee White hit on this information in a thread he posted about Things to Consider for a Chickamauga Impression. Search his posts and you'll find the answers you're looking for.
    Patrick Landrum
    Independent Rifles

Comment

Last year I picked up a pair of light blue jean trousers from Wambaugh and I believe he said Pat Kline made them (Don't quote me on that). Also I have a pair of Dark Blue Jean trousers from Joe Blunt. Either of these may help to find wha you are looking for.
      Robert Collett
      8th FL / 13th IN
      Armory Guards
      WIG

Comment

Old North State Sutlery has on their fabrics page cotton jean in blue. Is this what it looks like? Any reference to trousers being made in sky blue or dark blue jean wool? JIM HENSLEY
        [FONT="Century Gothic"][/FONT][FONT="Georgia"][/FONT][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Jim Hensley[/FONT]
        Order of Heptasophs 1852

Comment

We dont know for sure, although there is some speculation that they were medium to light blue.

Lee
          Lee White
          Researcher and Historian
          "Delenda Est Carthago"
          "My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings, Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!"

http://bullyforbragg.blogspot.com/

Comment

Over the years we have considered light, dark, back to light. And this isn't the first time fiber content has come up, either. What we know for sure is that there are several references to blue...
            Pat Brown

Comment

Robert,
              If it was saxon blue jean from Ben Tart, I made those for Dan as part of a run this past summer.

Jim,
              Check Ben Tart's (www.bentart.com) website for a swatch sample of this indigo dyed cotton jean. I also believe Charlie Childs makes a blue jean. I'm just stating what is available on the market today. As far as myself- I own a pair of indigo dyed cotton jean trousers out of Klines material from years ago.
              Patrick Landrum
              Independent Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by coastaltrash View Post
                Robert,
                If it was saxon blue jean from Ben Tart, I made those for Dan as part of a run this past summer.

Jim,
                Check Ben Tart's (www.bentart.com) website for a swatch sample of this indigo dyed cotton jean. I also believe Charlie Childs makes a blue jean. I'm just stating what is available on the market today. As far as myself- I own a pair of indigo dyed cotton jean trousers out of Klines material from years ago.
                Pat,

My sincere apologies. Let me say that you did a FANTASTIC job on them. Only problem I've had is a popped brace button.

What's funny is I was at a local event that was invitation only (the public opening of a Civil War site my unit helped save and turn into a historic park) and they needed a few more boys in blue who knew skirmish drill. I was volunteered at the last moment to galvanize and lead the skirmishers and didn't have a chance to change pants so I'm out there in Federal sack, acoutrements, etc wearing those sky blue jean trous. Of course the official photographer snaps my picture right as I'm firing (neat pic) to feature on the website of the park. Fortunately I was kneeling and with the distance / angle only a well trained eye can tell they're not kersey....... but I know :cry_smile
                Robert Collett
                8th FL / 13th IN
                Armory Guards
                WIG

Comment

Sky blue jean (or even satinet or cassimere) trousers on a Federal isn't TOO bad depending on the impression. Evidence shows the use of these materials among several Federal clothing contractors throughout the war.

Brian White
                  Wambaugh, White, & Co.
                  Producers of museum-grade Civil War uniforms and accessories for the historian who demands accurate reproductions.
                  Brian White
                  [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
                  [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
                  [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Working...
                  X