Confederate Clothing Act 10/8/62

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate Clothing Act 10/8/62

I thought this interesting as it states that the Clothing provided by the Confederate Government can be of any, "color or quanity, as they can obtain." This made it official that a Confederate Regiment could be supplied with any clothing available disregarding a uniform appearance in the ranks. This is not to say that certain Quartermasters like Lawton, or General Officers like Tilghman in the West wanted a more uniform looking Battallion or Corp in their Department or Command. It had to be basically, that an Offoicer could not complain under this ACT if he put in a requistition for 50 jackets and they were all different as to color and cut when received. "No Two Dressed Alike," would be the results...

Oct. 8, 1862.
    CHAP. XXXI.--An Act to encourage the Manufacture of Clothing and Shoes for the Army.
    October 8, 1862.

President authorized to import, duty free, machinery or materials for the manufacture of clothing, shoes, &c., for the army.

The Congress of the Confederate States of America do enact, That the President is hereby authorized to import, duty free cards or card cloth, or any machinery or materials necessary for increasing the manufacture of clothing for the army, or any articles necessary for supplying the deficiency of clothing or shoes, or materials for shoes for the army.
    Such materials or machinery may be worked on Government account, or leased or sold.

SEC. 2. Be it further enacted, That any machinery, or parts of machinery or materials imported as aforesaid, may be worked on government account, or leased or sold, at the discretion of the President.
    The privllege of this act may be extended to companies or individuals.

SEC. 3. Be it further enacted, That the President may extend the privileges of this Act to companies or individuals, subject to such regulations as he may prescribe.
    Clothing for the army may be of such color and quality as may be obtained.

SEC. 4. That the clothing required to be furnished to the troops of the Provisional Army under any existing law may be of such kind, as to color and quality, as it may be practicable to obtain, any law to the contrary notwithstanding.

Tom Arliskas
    csuniforms
    Author of Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown.

PS Thanks Guys, my book is now being carried on the shelf at Barnes and Noble Book Stores-- That is a big one for me and Confederate Material Culture.!!!:thumbs_up
    Tom Arliskas

Re: Confederate Clothing Act 10/8/62

Tom,
    I have your book next to me at this moment. Let me tell you that I appreciate your efforts in getting this information published in a very readable fashion. I've had the book only a few days and have devoured the majority of it in my spare time. Thanks again.
    Tristan Galloway

Comment

Tom,

I also want to put in a special thanks to you for your wonderful book! I picked up a copy at the Midwest Civilians Conference in Joliet this January. Really a wonderful work. I wonder if you had any othe information on North Carolina issue? I'm trying to seek more info on what was issued to the 26th N.C. I know they were issued new jackets just before Lee moved the ANV north, but don't know WHAT was issued . . .

Thanks again, I love the book!
      Bill Kane
      Bill Kane
      Tar Heel Mess
      [url]http://www.tarheelmess.org[/url]

Comment

Tom,
        This post comes at a perfect time for me. I'm interested in picking up a copy of your book. Could you (or someone) provide me with the information as to where I could get a copy?
        Thank you
        Kurt Loewe
        Botsford Mess
        Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Re: Confederate Clothing Act 10/8/62-CGBB Book

Hello, Send $20.00 to me Tom Arliskas, 552 N. 65th St., Wauwatosa, WI. 53213 and I will send you an autographed copy.
          CSuniforms
          Tom Arliskas
          Tom Arliskas

Comment

Re: Confederate Clothing Act 10/8/62 North Carolina

Originally posted by wmkane View Post
            Tom,

I also want to put in a special thanks to you for your wonderful book! I picked up a copy at the Midwest Civilians Conference in Joliet this January. Really a wonderful work. I wonder if you had any othe information on North Carolina issue? I'm trying to seek more info on what was issued to the 26th N.C. I know they were issued new jackets just before Lee moved the ANV north, but don't know WHAT was issued . . .

Bill Kane
            Hello, We know that the entire 26th NC were issued new uniforms just prior to going into the Battle of Gettysburg. Right now we can only guess as to color, and cut of garments issued. This will take more research, and right now I am sorry but I do not have it... It would only be a good guess on my part.
            Tom Arliskas
            CSuniforms
            Tom Arliskas

Comment

Originally posted by wmkane View Post
              Tom,

Bill Kane
              Bill,
              The book Covered With Glory has a lot of info about the 26th. You may also want to check out the NC state archives.

everett taylor
              [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Comment

We, the 26th NC, use the Richmond Depot (Type II) Jean Cloth jacket as our base impression for the mid to late war scenarios...we base this on several photos of the original men of the Regiment that we have come across over the years...one in particular, is the one of Pvt. Mitchell Plummer of Company A...from what we have been able to ascertain, this photo was made either in late May or early June of 1863, once he had been issued his new uniform...he died at Gettysburg... please go to this below link to see Pvt. Plummer...

Civil War Reenactment Regiment. A comprehensive site that includes historical resources, photos, narratives, articles, schedules, rosters, and more.

Thanks,

Skip Smith
                26th NC
                Civil War Reenactment Regiment. A comprehensive site that includes historical resources, photos, narratives, articles, schedules, rosters, and more.

Comment

Here's a better pic of Pvt Mitchell Plummer of the 26th NC.

[B]Jonathan Hartness[/B]
                  [I] G,G Grandson of Hiram Hartness Co. C, 4th NCST[/I]

Comment

Interesting picture . . . thanks for the larger file size . . . the one on the on the website made me think he had "26" as hat brass . . . but it's clear from this picture that that is simply the buckled for the chinstrap.

The jacketitself is fairly interesting . . . There is what appears to be an outer pocket on the left side of the jacket . . . with a button. Or is that glare? It's hard to tell from a scan. Als interesting iare the two buttons found on each cuff. I'm wondering if those were functional, or decorative? I definitly count 9 buttons down the front of the jacket though. My thanks to both Skip and Jonathan.

Also, I have (2) copies of Covered with Glory, and that doesn't indicatet he type of jacket, though if memory serves, it does specify that jackets were issued prior to Gettysburg, as we discussed.
                    Bill Kane
                    Tar Heel Mess

Comment

Re: Confederate Clothing Act 10/8/62--26th NC

I went to your site and saw that your unit wears the RD2 jacket. The 26th NC from all that I know would have gotten their clothing from Zeb Vance in NC and would have been a NC pattern of jacket and trousers. Now you have me curious as to what was the 26th NC wearing at Gettysburg.
                      Csuniforms
                      Tom Arliskas
                      Tom Arliskas

Comment

If my memory serves me correctly, the 26th was ordered to Virginia in mid-May of 1863...to me, this helps date the photo because it was mid-June when they began their march towards Pennsylvania...we feel that the cuffs were functional on Plummer's coat and yes that is a outside pocket...

Hope this helps,

Skip Smith
                        26th NC

Comment

Thanks for all the info here guys. This is definitly an interesting topic to me. I have a copy of "State Troops and Volunteers: Volume 1" which I'll go through later tonight. I know it has several pictures of soldiers from the 26th N.C. I've also got 2 volumes of Gov. Zeb Vance's letters that were transcribed, bound and published to look through. Perhaps there will be a nugget of information in there since Vance was the old Col.?

Skip, I have a question: How is it that the Plummer photo has been dated? Is there a tax stamp on the back that helps mark its provenance?
                          Last edited by wmkane; 04-25-2007, 07:12 AM. Reason: forgot to finish the first paragraph
                          Bill Kane
                          Tar Heel Mess

Comment

Bill,

The original image was originally owned by 26th NC member Greg Mast, who wrote the book you mentioned in an earlier post (State Troops and Volunteers)...the 26th NC purchased it from Greg in the late 1990's...in an 1989 issue of our historical magazine, COMPANY FRONT, Greg used the image as part of an article he compiled...in this article he states that this coat was the basis for Don Troiani, THE BOY COLONEL...Greg worked with Mr. Troiani on this painting and in fact wrote the information sheet that came out with the print when it was released...in their research they dated the image to late May 1863...given the fact the Pvt. Plummer was mortally wounded at Gettysburg (died July 16, 1863 at Gettysburg) this narrows the window down for the photo...I looked at the original this morning and there is nothing written inside the ambrotype case other than someone's post war inscription - "Photo of Grandfather M. Plummer"...given the fact that the 26th NC did not arrive in Virginia until mid-May 1863 and that Plummer died in July, we decided that the image had to be taken sometime before they stepped off on the march to Pennsylvania in mid-June...the only other time the 26th NC was in Virginia prior to May 1863 was when they were ordered to Richmond in June of 1862...they participated at the Battle of Malvern Hill on July 1, 1862...they stayed in Virginia (near Petersburg) for most of the summer but then returned to eastern NC until called back up in May 1863...

Hope this helps,

Skip Smith

Comment

Working...
                            X