Eagle Buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eagle Buttons

I have a few eagle buttons made in New York by G.Kenton...was wondering if anyone has ever heard of that maker. The buttons are 3/4 an inch across brass. I was told they were from the Mexican War by the owner of a repro coat I bought, then someone else said they were from the Indian Wars of the 1870's... any help?????
    Thanks
    Keith Pavulak

Re: Eagle Buttons

Please double check the back mark. I do not find a G. Kenton listed but I do find a C. Kenyon of NYC.

C. Kenyon lasted from 1875 to around 1930.
    Jim Kindred

Comment

It may be a C. I did some investigating and found out that the sheild is raised on the button dating it to after the Civil War, probably 1875. Thanks for the info.....Any Idea on value? I have 9 of them and they are all in great shape.
      Keith Pavulak

Comment

FYI - US uniform buttons of the Mexican War were still one piece cast brass for artillery and would have an "A" in the shield and infantry has pewter with "I's". They were much thinner with only a slight doming as opposed to future issues.
        Ross L. Lamoreaux
        rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Mexican/American War buttons were two piece buttons. I have dug many of them in the Savannah, Georgia area. The dome of the buttons were not as high as the Civil War buttons.
          You might be thinking of the War of 1812 U.S. buttons or the 1820's buttons. They were one piece buttons.
          Yours,
          Ken Myers
          Ken Myers

Comment

It depends upon which year of the Mexican War, as the primary fatigue uniform for that era is the 1831/33 fatigue uniform of light blue kersey with yellow trim for artillery and white for infantry. That standard uniform used one piece cast buttons which were utilized predominately through the 1840's. The two piece buttons were worn, however, on the dress coat after the one piece buttons were exhausted, so you may find both types of buttons being used during the Mex War period.
            Ross L. Lamoreaux
            rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

You are right about the early war Mex/American war buttons. I went through Alphaeus Albert's book. This is "Record of American Uniform and Historical Buttons". This is the bible of U.S. military button collectors.
              The US military was using one piece convex pewter and brass buttons. But, the military switched to a two piece low convex button during the period of the Mex/American War.
              One of the buttons that is found around here is the two piece plated Infantry. The backmark is Young, Smith & Co. The size of the button is 20mm.
              We also find the militia buttons. All are two piece low convex. These are 23mm. The units were find is the Republian Blues, founded 1808 and the Irish Jasper Greens, founded 1842. Both of these units fought in the Mexican American War.
              Yours,
              Ken Myers
              Ken Myers

Comment

I'm surprised there is even an argument about this... they had and used both one piece and two piece buttons during the Mex/Am War. Albert's...Tice's or any decent button book will tell you that.
                Regards,
                [FONT=Arial][COLOR=Black]Greg Sites[/COLOR][/FONT]
                Co. H 33rd Va Inf
                Stonewall Brigade

"Whenever you see anything blue, shoot at it and do all you can to keep up the scare."
                Nathan Bedford Forrest

Comment

Working...
                X