Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M1841 issue and deployment ?

Gentlemen,

While researching the 35th NCT, organised at Camp Mangum, near Raleigh in Nov. "61 from the Piedmont and Mountains of NC, I found that Co's A and B were issued M1841's. I do not know if these weapons had been re-configured to 58 cal. or not.

The rest of the regiment were issued either Springfields or Enfields.

Purely congecturally:

Could these Co's so equipped with the M1841's been "designated" as Skirmishers, Sharpshooters, etc?

So far I have very limited info ( from 2 Brothers , Co. A, correspondence ) which MIGHT indicate their use as such.

Anyone have any info on the deployment of mixed arms Early War or not in this manner. ( Regimental?)

Any help is greatly appreciated,
    Kevin Ellis,
    26th NCT

Re: M1841 issue and deployment ?

As the flank companies, A and B were normally the skirmish companies. I have no information on the 35th NCT but you are probably on the right track. Was this the first issue of weapons and does say what type Enfield and Springfield?
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Kevin,

The good news is the arms of the 35th NCT were researched rather well for an event in late 2000. If you keep digging, then you'll find one company (it may have been company E) even had flintlocks well into the war. My suggestion is to find someone who still has the background material and bibliography from that event, and delve into the primary sources from there. Good hunting!
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Doug,
        Thanks for the reply,

I have a few documents in front of me now ,so here goes;
        The initial issue was of M1841 to Co's A and B . In Jan "62 at least B Co. was issued sword bayonets so the assumption would be that the rifles were 58 cal.

The initial armament of Co's C thru K was of " altered " or F&S Muskets. I'm just guessing 1842 69 cal.

Co's C thru K began recieving " Enfields " by May '62.
        I do not know at this time what model those were.

Thanks again,
        Kevin Ellis,
        26NCT

Comment

Thanks Charles,

Maybe a hint as to which event in 2000 ?

I'll try to muddle through from there.

Kevin Ellis,
          26th NCT

Comment

Sure, that would be Preservation March 2000 aka the "Hodge March," and a good place to start may be the North State Rifles. Unfortunately, I don't recall who was the CS research wonk for that event, but Dave Hunter or Neal Sexton may recall.
            [B]Charles Heath[/B]
            [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

I believe the articles Charles mentioned on the 35th NCT can be found here: http://www.northstaterifles.com/articles.htm There is some excellent material on this site.
              Bob Williams
              26th North Carolina Troops
              Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Thanks to all,

I will be searching for a while.

I do have 1 more posit;

I currently have access to a heretofore unknown " Private Collection "

That is; a bunch of papers and images and maybe more in a trunk in a distant relatives attic.
                I have VERY CAREFULLY examined and tried to preserve to my ability a few of these documents. ( Pension requests, Mexican War specificaly, so far... )
                Contacted, But I have not recieved word back from the NCMOH.

These documents and images are definitely worth some big$ on the market, but in my opinion should be preserved.

What is the line here?

My old friend is 94 going on 19.
                His children will either trash or E-Bay this , not knowing what it is.

I will not have advantage taken of my friend and hope for suggestions .

Thanks,
                Kevin Ellis,
                26th NCT

Comment

Working...
                X