4th Michigan (Canada Hat)?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4th Michigan (Canada Hat)?????

I am looking for someone who can help me get the so called canada hat that the 4th michigan wore during the early war years remade, there are lots of pictures of these hat and they were made by the women of Adrian Michigan before they left the city. Some of these hats are knitted and others are felt. The color of the hat is a medium maroon , some of these hats are long enough that there is a fold on them, the top is rounded. the tassle is a ski blue color with the tassle bulb sits directly on the top of the hat. the tassles are long they stop at the bottom of the ear. We are looking for some help on getting these hats made so we can correctly portray the 4th. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Pictures of soldiers wearing these hats can be found atwww.4thmichigan.com

Re: 4th Michigan (Canada Hat)?????

Steve,

Thanks for the website, I never saw this one before.

Do you have any photos of an original cap? How do you know the colors?

Not an expert, but they look like a regular felt "zouave-type" fez, or if they are knitted, maybe they are "canadian" because they are a form of a French-Canadian "tuque"; or a form of Monmouth cap.
    I wonder if the Canadian military used anything like this during the period?

It will be interesting to see what others have to add.

Oh yeah, I'm sure someone else would have pointed it out, be sure to sign you posts w/ a full signature.

Regards,
    Last edited by BobRoeder; 04-27-2007, 05:33 PM.
    Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Comment

thanks I reliezed i forgot to sign it after i posted it, i will fix that. The colors came from a large collector of 4th michigan items, i have been talking to him and he is the one that stated what the colors are.
      Steve Bucher
      4th Michigan

Comment

Bob,
        I'm a personal friend of Steves and the owner and developer of the 4th michigan.com. I can tell you that both Steve and myself have seen original colored tintypes of members of the 4th wearing these Canada hats. I have a personal friend who is a collector of 4th Michigan who has verified these pictures. He consults with me on the site so we can maintain the highest integrity for the site. We cannot post these photos until we have the permission of the owners. Anyone with info on the 4th or has any questions concerning the 4th can contact me at: mailto:hapytral2001@yahoo.com

Dave Prince
        4th Texas Co. E
        4thMichigan.com
        Wolcott Mill event committee
        4thTexas.com webmaster
        member of walled Lake 528
        Dave Prince

Comment

Bob,
          Forgot to mention members of the 14th New York have also been photographed wearing similar hats.
          Dave Prince
          Dave Prince

Comment

Here is a photo of two men in the 5th Michigan Co. D. I believe they are wearing similar hats.

Last edited by John Legg; 01-22-2008, 07:31 PM.
            [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="3"]John R. Legg[/SIZE][/FONT]

[email]Johnlegg90@gmail.com[/email]

"Alright, Legg, what did you screw up now?" - C. Henderson
            Ft.Blakeley LH - May 25-27
            Maryland, My Maryland. - September 7-9
            6th Wisconsin Antietam LH - September 15-17
            150th Perryville - October 5-7
            Valley Forge - January 18-20, 2013

Comment

John by the looks of those hats they look just alike and if you notice the 2 hats are different
              Steve Bucher
              4th Michigan
              Recruiter

Comment

Originally posted by Beaner View Post
                Bob,
                I'm a personal friend of Steves and the owner and developer of the 4th michigan.com. I can tell you that both Steve and myself have seen original colored tintypes of members of the 4th wearing these Canada hats. I have a personal friend who is a collector of 4th Michigan who has verified these pictures. He consults with me on the site so we can maintain the highest integrity for the site. We cannot post these photos until we have the permission of the owners. Anyone with info on the 4th or has any questions concerning the 4th can contact me at: mailto:hapytral2001@yahoo.com
                Hi Dave,

I was only asking about the color scheme info of the originals out of curiosity. Truthfully, I wish I could have been of more help with the original request than doing alot of thinking outloud.

The website is very nicely done and has alot of intersesting info, it's great that it was brought to everyone's attention.

Cheers,
                Bob Roeder

"I stood for a time and cried as freely as boys do when things hurt most; alone among the dead, then covered his face with an old coat I ran away, for I was alone passing dead men all about as I went". Pvt. Nathaniel C. Deane (age 16, Co D 21st Mass. Inf.) on the death of his friend Pvt. John D. Reynolds, May 31, 1864.

Comment

Gentlemen:

I've been completely fascinated with these hats for some time. Several years ago I tried tracking down the colors for them, including commissioning the local public library to look through their newspaper and personal archives to see if there was any reference to the colors (there wasn't). I can work both from an orignial hat and from photographs. Let's talk.

Sincerely,
                  Karin Timour
                  Period Knitting -- Socks, Sleeping Hats, Balaclavas
                  Warm. Durable. Documented.
                  Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
                  Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Comment

Working...
                  X