Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Issue and Non-issue Blankets.

Sirs,

I have had no luck with the search function on this board in this question.
    I have an original " @@@@@ "Merino wool circa 1848 blanket. It has been in use sparingly in the time since.

Part of which was initial use by GGG parents, and I have used it on 6 occassions since rescue from the attic in 1999.

Perfect condition.

Getting to the Question......

This sucker is THICK!!!
    Flat.... Top plane to Bottom plane.....not compressed, 1/8 ths?.

It will not conform to either Knapsack or Blanket roll.

Back to the Question.........

What should be>>>?

Yard weights,Thickness, 1862 , 1863 ,Eastern , State or Depot. Either South or " Youse ' guys.

I do not want the anwers, Just a reference point.

Thanks,
    Kevin Ellis

Re: Issue and Non-issue Blankets.

Whoa...Not sure what your question is. Are you looking for information on all CW-period blankets? Or, are you looking for information on one similar to the one already in your possession? Not trying to be difficult, but just looking for the best way to answer your question. -Garrett
    Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
    [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

There is no "one size fits all" reference when it comes to blankets. Blankets, covers, and bedding of any kind came in various thicknesses based upon how it was loomed and woven, just like material used in clothing. The thicker the yarns or threads, the thicker the blanket will be. There is no right or wrong thickness when it comes to using citizens blankets in the field. Some will roll or fold to fit in a haversack and some will be so bulky as to need an elephant to compress, so I wouldn't worry if you can't get yours to conform. I've seen references to homemade "material blankets" that Ben Tart did some research on that were issued to North Carolina troops, and they were no more than thin wool flannel paneled together to form a large cover, and I've held original blankets that weighed almost 9 pounds due to size, volume, and nap. The quartermaster standard for issue blankets to the Federal army was 5 pounds, but anyone who has seen or held an original will tell you that the standard was tossed out the window when it came to the many contractors who provided blankets to the army. Some were so full of shoddy and thinly woven as to be able to read a paper through it, and others were very nappy, thick, and tightly woven. The variances continue for the southern side and were even more varied due to the differing number of mills providing for the Confederate government and various state troops, and when those dried up or were difficult to provide, soldiers came up with their own options by getting them from home or liberating them from other sources.
      Ross L. Lamoreaux
      rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Looking back at my first post, I must apologise.

I really did not get to the point.

I have and sometimes use a much better than contract/issue, original to period, blanket.

Works fine for static LH scenarios, but is a B*** campaigning.
        Mere volume.

Rolls and twists about like your Grandma's comforter.
        Damn those extremely warm Scottish sheep!
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        I guess I will retire this blanket and look into the vendors list for a replacement.

Thanks for the info,
        Kevin Ellis

Comment

Working...
        X