Shaving Cups/Mugs???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaving Cups/Mugs???

I've come across a few of these lately at various estate sales and have thought about purchasing one if they weren't asking too much.

But it got me to thinking. Was this used as an everyday cup with the added bonus of having the pocket for the razor and brush or was this strictly an item used in barber shops or static camps?

Any help is appreciated.
    James Ross

Re: Shaving Cups/Mugs???

Slightly related, but my favorite scene from the Band of Brothers mini-series was the episode filmed in the Ardennes where CPT Winters is breaking the ice in a .30 caliber ammo can in order to shave.

In other words, a shaving cup is not something that the typical soldier takes to the field with him. Me, I still shave without a mirror 99% of the time because you usually didn't have one out in the boonies and it doesn't work well at way before O'Dark-Thirty when you do those sorts of things...
    Tom Ezell

Comment

Just my own thought but I would imagine a soldier's tin cup would have been used a lot for such activity.
      Michael Comer
      one of the moderator guys

Comment

Seen that scene in "BoB". Makes my face and skin hurt!!!

I too would concur on the use of a normal cup for shaving.

But I've seen a couple of these lately which is kinda weird not having seen one before at the other sales. Not to mention "Ezra Barnhouse Goods" has a repro available makes me wonder that maybe these were a common item. I guess I'm trying to find more of a provenance on these as to if they're PEC for army use, or PEC for civilians at home.

Any ideas???

Thanks for the replies
        James Ross

Comment

Working...
        X