Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shoes

Letters of Georgia Soldiers in the Civil War, by Miles Lane, p 48

"I do not want any overshoes. I wear my old shoes when it is muddy. I have bought me three pairs of shoes, paid $3, a large shaw....My socks had better dyed dark"
    [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Re: Shoes

History of the 20th Tenn Regiment Volunteer Infantry. by WJ McMurray p204

"...drew new enfield rifles with new accoutrement's. When the accoutrements were being issued one box turned out to contain thirty-three pairs of sewed boots. As there were ten companies Col. Battle ordered that three pairs of boots be issued to each company and the three best shots in each company to take the boots. The three remaining pairs of boots were shot for by the company officers."
    [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Re: Shoes

Now that is leadership - through reward for combat readiness (marksmanship) in each company. One wonders what level of shoe wear existed in the regiment at the time.

Interesting if the boxes were marked accouterments how boots could have ended up in them - though it is safe to say any boots/shoes, however marked, would be appreciated.

This has been a great day for the AC Forum - between Chris and Scott we have some great quotes starting some interesting threads. Well done!!
      Soli Deo Gloria
      Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Working...
      X