Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shirts

My Dear Nellie: The Civil War Letters of W.L. Nugent, p 183

"I have two check shirts and the nice wollen shirt Alf brought me. One of the checks is nearly out and I do not think I will be able to replace it...Say to Alf, however, that I wish he could get me some check shirting and some handkerchiefs, with three or four net undershirts, and a comb and brush..."
    [COLOR="DarkRed"] [B][SIZE=2][FONT=Book Antiqua]Christopher J. Daley[/FONT][/SIZE][/B][/COLOR]

Re: Shirts

Where was the writer as he penned these lines -- camp? Just mustered in and not yet in the field? A veteran being resupplied? Might change some of our perceptions on how much gear a lad should have with him on campaign.

What is a "net undershirt?" Sort of a quilted thing like a modern winter underwear? Or did he just misspell net for "knit?"

Obliged,
    Paul Hadley
    Paul Hadley

Comment

Re: Shirts

Originally posted by FlatLandFed View Post
      What is a "net undershirt?" Sort of a quilted thing like a modern winter underwear? Or did he just misspell net for "knit?"

Obliged,
      Paul Hadley

I think we can safely say that he meant a knit undershirt - here's another recollection using the same terminology:
      The clothing upon the upper part of my body had been reduced to the remains of a knit undershirt. It had fallen into so many holes that it looked like a course 'riddles' through which ashes and gravel are sifted. Wherever these holes were the sun had burned my back, breast and shoulders deeply black.

H.H. Hardesty. 1888. Ohio in the War.
      Paul Calloway
      Proudest Member of the Tar Water Mess
      Proud Member of the GHTI
      Member, Civil War Preservation Trust
      Wayne #25, F&AM

Comment

Working...
      X