X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Button Holes

From the Richmond Daily Dispatch Nov. 20, 1863

To Lose a button,
    or have a button hole tear out when a fellow is away from home and exposed to bad weather is a great annoyance, and one that our soldiers complain bitterly of. They say the buttons to their jackets are badly put on, and that the button holes are horribly worked, and they wish attention called to the grievance. The Inspector of clothing should have an eye to these matters, and see that uniforms are well made in all their parts.

This passage reminds me of an English Kersey RDII that Neil Rose was so kind as to forward photo's of to me.

Best,
    Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
    PO BOX 4849
    Midlothian, VA 23112
    www.richmonddepot.com
    (804)305-2968

Re: Button Holes

Wow. The more things change, the more they stay the same. Present company excluded, of course.
    Dave Eggleston

Comment

I recently ordered a unifrom from you that was colored "grey green brown". You stated a mill where it was produced but I have since lost that e-mail. Any info you could give me on this interesting greenish coloration would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance,
      Your Obedient Servant,
      Sgt. Marcus J. Whelan

Comment

Mr. Whelan,

That info. was sent via email yesterday to Rhonda along with a picture of the original fabric. It's generally thought that this fabric was a product of either Crenshaws or Bonsacks Mills both in Virginia.

Best,
        Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
        PO BOX 4849
        Midlothian, VA 23112
        www.richmonddepot.com
        (804)305-2968

Comment

Working...
        X