Something for you Pennsylvania Dutchmen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something for you Pennsylvania Dutchmen

This appears to be just the ticket for troops wishing to do a Pennsylvania Dutch impression. Go to Google Books (http://books.google.com/bkshp?tab=wp) and then do a search using the following bibliographic information:

Pennsylvania German Manual, for Pronouncing, Speaking and Writing English ... By Abraham Reeser Horne
    Published 1875
    Nat. Educator print.
    Original from the New York Public Library
    Digitized Sep 22, 2006

The 2nd (1895) Edition and 3rd (1905) Edition of this work are definitely available.

This title also looks interesting and is also available for viewing on Google Books:

A Pennsylvania German Reader and Grammar
    By Earl C. Haag
    Published 2002
    Penn State Press
    ISBN 027102142X

Bis bald,

Mark Jaeger
    Last edited by markj; 05-23-2007, 11:09 PM.
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Re: Something for you Pennsylvania Dutchmen

It appears passable for the Lehigh County Deitsch, but varies a bit (as do the dialects) from the Berks, Lancaster, and Chester County tongues. As he states in his works, there is no grammar nor proper spelling for Penna Deitsch as is not a written language.

Yep, we're a confusing (and confused) lot. And you thought we all talked the same funny talk! We can tell the home county of a boovah just by listening to him for a bit. However, throw in a Buckeye or Hoosier Deitscher and we start to scratch our heads. They talk REAL funny!
    Mark A. Pflum
    Redleg and unemployed History Teacher
    Member:
    CMH
    AHA
    Phi Alpha Theta (MU XI Chapter)

Comment

Re: Something for you Pennsylvania Dutchmen

To chime in with Pflum-

If you wish to get an even better look at the debauchery that is Pennsylfawnisch Deitsch in the mid-19th century these are good resources too:

The First Century of German Language Printing in the United States: vol. 2 edited by Karl John Richard and Reimar C. Eck

Henry Harbaugh's The Gaurdian: this magazine was printed in the 1850's and 60's not only is a great intro to dialect printing but also to the cultural movements taking root at the time. (His poem book Die Harfe is also great dialect reading. )

Steven Nolt, Foreigners in Thier Own Land. While not language related it goes in depth to understanding many of the reasons why there are so many schisms in the Pennsylvania Dutch Dialect. Just plain good reading.

If anyone does have an interest in this subject feel free to PM me. I'd love to discuss the topic and swap information with anyone. I would also be willing to help locate any books you may be interested in that I can.
      Zach Langley
      8th GA, Co. A
      The Goober Grabbers Mess

Comment

Working...
      X