fed eagles on commutation jackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fed eagles on commutation jackets

To start off yes, I have attempted to find my information off this search engine and other sites. With no success I have a question concerning federal eagle buttons on commutation jackets. I was wondering if there was any way federal eagle buttons could have ended up on commutation jackets? If so how common was this practice?

thanks,
    Philip Brown

Re: fed eagles on commutation jackets

An understanding of what commutation clothing is may help clarify the subject of buttons. According to Tom Arliskas, author of Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown, there is no such thing as a "commutation jacket". The Commutation System was a "government reimbursement process" and should not be confused with describing a particular piece of clothing. Any shirt, jacket, coat, hat, pair or shoes or boots, trousers or socks, civilian or military cut, paid for by the Confederate Government under the Commutation System, and issued to the Volunteers (PACS) can be described as "Commutation Clothing", supplied under the Law, and is not a particular style of clothing.

The CS congress in March 1861 authorized "uniforms" only for Confederate Army units, the Provisional Army of Confederate States (volunteers) were on their own for clothing and were paid a clothing allowance under the commutation system. Hence, if an article of clothing like a jacket was purchased privately, either tailor made for an individual or made at home, it seems doubtful a privately purchased jacket would have Federal eagle buttons from a US Army uniform unless I am missing something. Is this what you were getting at?
    Craig L Barry
    Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
    Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
    Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
    Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Yes that is what i was looking for. Is there anyone else out there with a differing opinion?

Comment

(Since you are asking for opinions) Unfortunally there are not enough commutation garmets surviving to be able to answer this question absolutely. However, during the period this system was in effect, there was a great demand for military buttons and there were many buttons being purchased up North and elsewhere by some of the well known tailors in Richmond. We have block I buttons with the EM Lewis backmarks as well as various state seals with different backmarks such as SA Myers. Both of these folks were Richmond businesses. It is not inconceivable that with the shortage of military buttons the common eagle button was used when available. Some of the tailors who were making uniforms had been in business previous to the war and undoubtly had stocks of eagle buttons on hand. Many early war camps give up general service eagle buttons and also eagle buttons with branch of service letters. Remember the eagle V was a favorite of Va. troops. IMO there would have been communtation clothing with eagle buttons but I have no objective quality evidence to support it. I will look in my Tice book when I get home from work to see if any Southern business back marks are listed for eagle buttons.
        Jim Mayo

Portsmouth Rifles, 9th Va. Inf.
        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/9va/rifles1.html

CW show & tell.
        http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Another strategy for you might be to pick up a copy of the book CG and BB and look at the images. Most images in there are clear enough to make out the buttons, but not sure you could make out an eagle on the face of the button? This sort of question is difficult to answer on the basis of photographic evidence alone. Records would be a problem, too, as these jackets were not issued, but privately purchased.

In the absence of any known records to support the practice of using Federal eagle buttons, my suggestion would be to make a study of available images and decide based on a "Plain, Everyday, Common" (PEC) basis. What sort(s) of buttons do most of the jackets use?
          Craig L Barry

Comment

Check out this Reb from Antietam.
            Last edited by roundshot; 06-02-2008, 03:49 PM.
            Bob Williams
            26th North Carolina Troops
            Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Mr. Craig I have heard a lot about the cg and bb book, I think it is about time I got my hands on a copy. Mr. williams those r some excellent images. Thank you both. This does not close this thread anyone else have any input?

thanks,
              Philip Brown

Comment

Here's a state uniform that was made and issued under the commutation system, and guess what sort of buttons it has?

http://www.geocities.com/capitalguards/LRfrock.html

Tom Ezell

Comment

If these Federal eagle buttons were on a frock coat in Arkansas in 1862, we are saying the other states would have (logically) had them, too? That corner of the Confederacy was typically challenged for equipment and supplies. Some enlisted men were still lugging flintlocks around years into the war.

I don't know how prevalent the Federal buttons were during the commutation period, or if that matters in this case. There are obviousIy a few examples where they are identified. I haven't been able to make out any "for sure" in the photos from that period that I looked at. Where were they coming from? Pre-war stockpiles? How would they be available to private uniform makers during the commutation period in the Confederacy? This is kind of interesting...
                  Last edited by Craig L Barry; 06-01-2007, 01:11 AM.
                  Craig L Barry

Comment

Mr. Barry,
                    You may want to research the button companies in the North. It is no secret they sent buttons South.
                    Everett Taylor
                    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Everett Taylor[/FONT]

Comment

Folks seem to forget that the Rebs took over Federal Arsenals and all the stocks with them. The famous WA of New Orleans adorned their uniforms with crossed cannon ordinance pattern buttons from the Baton Rouge Arsenal. Archeaological evidence from early 61-62 sites reveals a plethora of Federal buttons in CS sites, especially Eagle "i"s. See Howard Crouch's book, "Relic Hunter" for more info. Sometimes we get to thinking so hard we ignore the obvious or debunk previous conclusions, which makes " instant authorities" of us all.
                      Last edited by roundshot; 05-31-2007, 07:13 PM.
                      Bob Williams

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Originally posted by Craig L Barry View Post
                        An understanding of what commutation clothing is may help clarify the subject of buttons. According to Tom Arliskas, author of Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown, there is no such thing as a "commutation jacket". The Commutation System was a "government reimbursement process" and should not be confused with describing a particular piece of clothing. Any shirt, jacket, coat, hat, pair or shoes or boots, trousers or socks, civilian or military cut, paid for by the Confederate Government under the Commutation System, and issued to the Volunteers (PACS) can be described as "Commutation Clothing", supplied under the Law, and is not a particular style of clothing.
                        Maybe I'm just weary of seeing this argument every time the phrase "commutation jacket" is used in a post, but is this really necessary? How much difference is there between "Commutation Clothing" and "commutation jacket" besides the fact that the latter is more specific? To me, the phrase "commutation jacket" (or any other form of garment) is intended to be interpreted as a jacket obtained by a soldier through the commutation system. How is this inaccurate? The term could be applied to a range of styles, rather than one in particular.
                        Phil Graf

Can't some of our good friends send us some tobacco? We intend to "hang up our stockings." if they can't send tobacco, please send us the seed, and we will commence preparing the ground; for we mean to defend this place till h-ll freezes over, and then fight the Yankees on the ice.

Private Co. A, Cook's Reg't, Galveston Island.

Comment

Phil,
                          I guess from now on when writing guidelines for events or discussing construction or time period of a garment you have to call it a 'commutation period produced military jacket" and you can no longer call a Columbus Depot a Columbus Depot, but must now call it a Confederate Quartermaster produced shell jacket.
                          Patrick Landrum
                          Independent Rifles

Comment

Gentlemen:

Thanks for pointing that out. I apologize for being tiresome. You're probably right that we spend too much effort on correct but clumsy terminology. If I get your point, the terms used by subject matter experts probably don't matter here since this is an informal post and not a final, published piece of research material, and that makes sense in the context of your remarks. Hence, its okay as long as we all know what we mean? That's fine with me. On the other hand, I'm not about to apologize for "getting it right".

Back to the original subject of the thread. Ultimately you are trying to improve your early war impression. Whatever you want to call your jacket, "early war", "commutation" etc, if you are trying to "get it right" with uniform items, or anything else...the sensible recommendation would seem to be as follows:

If you are copying an existing item such as a jacket, like the frock coat from Arkansas pictured earlier in this post and it has a certain style of button that can be identified, ie: use that kind of button. Otherwise, see if there are photos or documents of what the enlisted men in the particular unit you are portraying wore, and try to get something as close to that as you can to the extent that is possible.

Or alternately if you just want something from a certain time period, go with the Plain, Everyday, Common (PEC) plan and not with the exceptions. The majority of CS jackets seen in existing photos from the pre-Oct 1862 "commutation" period do not have buttons of a style that can clearly be made out as Federal eagle type. What I see mostly what look like wood or bone buttons on "roundabout" jackets.
                            Last edited by Craig L Barry; 06-01-2007, 01:18 AM.
                            Craig L Barry

Comment

Actually, civilian ornamental (also called flower or Golden Age) buttons such as these shown in the attached photo are among the most common found in early to mid war CS camps, along with various types of eagles, of course. The two almost ball shaped ones on the left bottom row are from Malvern Hill. The pattern at upper left (of which there are several) is of the style found in profusion in the 6th NCST Dumfries, VA '61-'62 winter camp.
                              Last edited by roundshot; 01-20-2008, 04:33 PM.
                              Bob Williams

Comment

Working...
                              X