Historical Anecdotes about trading between the lines at Vicksburg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historical Anecdotes about trading between the lines at Vicksburg

Does anyone have any historical anecdotes about trading between the lines at Vicksburg during the siege?

With the event just a week away, there is some discussion about trading between the opposing lines, and I'd like to here of any anecdotes pertaining to such activities.

Any info provided would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Brian Hicks
    Widows' Sons Mess

Known lately to associate with the WIG and the Armory Guards

"He's a good enough fellow... but I fear he may be another Alcibiades."

“Every man ever got a statue made of him was one kinda sumbitch or another. It ain’t about you. It’s about what THEY need.”CAPTAIN MALCOLM REYNOLDS

Re: Historical Anecdotes about trading between the lines at Vicksburg

This may not be anything you are interested in Brian. During the siege Missouri had soldiers on both sides. They faced one another at Stockade Redan. After one of Grant's assaults a truce was called to remove the dead. Missouri boys used this truce to visit family & friends in the enemy ranks. News was shared from home. I'm sorry that I cannot give you a reference for this - My books are not readily at hand, but if you want I will try to find the information.
    Sam Looney
    "Bowen's division sustained its reputation by making one of its grand old charges, in which it bored a hole through the Federal army, and finding itself unsupported turned around and bored its way back again" - Gen. Pemberton's chief engineering officer

Sam Looney
    1st Missouri Battalion
    Trans-Mississippi Brigade

CWPT

Comment

"We gave from our own rations some fat meat, crackers, coffee and so forth, in order to make them happy as we could."

Osborne Oldroyd, "A Soldier's Story of the Vicksburg Campaign" pg 45. This quote was taken after the initial assaults in late May, 2 weeks before the weekend we will be "on the line". Oldoyd was a Sgt in the 20th Ohio.

"I say I want to borrow some coffee and pay back when Johnson comes up in the rear"

Foster, William Vicksburg: Southern City Under Siege(New Orleans: The Historic New Orleans Collection 1980) pg 21. Foster was a CS chaplain.

There are several good quotes about sneaking over the line that Mr. Lietchy found, but most of the trade accounts I have seen deal specifically with the burial detail that was sent out 3 days after Grant's second assault on the line. Most of the quotes are typical tobacco, coffee, food type of situations.
      Patrick Landrum
      Independent Rifles

Comment

This fellow has some very good accounts of the siege in his letters. Seems they were giving out more crackers out than they were trading. The Confederates were also wanting the Federals to come across the lines to play card games with them.

Last edited by boozie; 06-03-2007, 07:50 AM.
        sigpic
        Grandad Wm. David Lee
        52nd Tenn. Reg't Co. B

"If You Ain't Right, Get Right!"
        - Uncle Dave Macon

www.40thindiana.wordpress.com/

Comment

Working...
        X