Rifle Sling on canteens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rifle Sling on canteens

Has anyone ever seen an original example or read an account of the use of a rifle sling as a canteen strap either in the Federal or Confederate ranks specifically on a drum canteen (of course one might assume if this practice exists it would be seen more in the Confederate ranks). And, yes I have checked the forum using the search engine and all other available resources.

thanks,
    Philip Brown

Re: Rifle Sling on canteens

I've seen a dug Federal "bullseye canteen" from Burnett's Farm (Federal Hospital) near Cold Harbor that had musket sling hooks still attached in both side loops, as if two joined slings were utilized for carrying purposes. Of course, improvisations such as this were not uncommon among fighting men either then or now.
    Bob Williams
    26th North Carolina Troops
    Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

In the book, Don Troiani's Regiments and Uniforms of the Civil War, it shows a confederate tin drum canteen with a federal gun sling.
      Doug Ranson

Button Hat Boys
      Jaunty Bunch
      Cumberland River Legion
      3rd Batt USV

Comment

There is one in the Atlanta history museam"s collection.
        [FONT=Georgia]John Cleaveland[/FONT]

Comment

Good question...Rifle slings were used for all sorts of purposes other than the one for which they were intended, if period specimens and accounts are to be trusted. I believe Columbia Rifles Research Compendium 2nd Ed covers some of the alternate uses for slings in the chapter on the US pattern slings. Waist belt, improvised backpack strap, canteen sling and so on. It helps explain why slings that were issued do not always show up in camp life pictures of rifle muskets.
          Last edited by Craig L Barry; 06-03-2007, 11:11 PM.
          Craig L Barry
          Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
          Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
          Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
          Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

In the Antietam Visitor's Center there is a CS canteen (wooden stave type) with what appears to be a US rifle sling on it.

John Tobey

Comment

Working...
            X