Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mill Springs - Photographs and Documentation of Interest

Greetings,

With the upcoming Mill Springs/Logans Cross Roads/Logans Fields/Fishing Creek (and about 12 other names) event in mind, I will be posting various images (some of them unpublished) of 10th Indiana troops who participated in the fight. One shows Sergeant Major (later Lieutenant) John D. Simpson, who was only about 19 at the time he assumed that post in September 1861! The other images are the best ones I've found to date showing uniforms and equipment that would have been seen during the fight. The 10th Indiana, in fact, seems to have been wearing "dark blue kersey" trousers, which they received on 17 November 1861 per a telegraph message from the Louisville AQM, which I found a few years ago in the Indiana State Archives. Most, if not all, of the regiment was not issued light blue trousers until several weeks after the engagement at Mill Springs.

I will not be attending this event, but will also post a variety of original newspaper letters about the fight that I've collected over the years from sources here in Indiana. Perhaps they will be of use to you. In a number of cases, I have transcribed the letters into the form of a "grid," which will give readers a better sense of how accounts from different men emphasized various aspects of the engagement or, in some cases, even contradicted each other.

Enjoy,

Mark Jaeger

Enjoy,

Mark Jaeger
    Attached Files
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Re: Mill Springs - Photographs and Documentation of Interest

Here's another letter I found from Captain Joseph Taylor, Company D, 10th IVI.

Enjoy,

Mark
    Regards,

Mark Jaeger

Comment

Working...
    X