Tin buckles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tin buckles

I would like to see a discussion about the prevelance and the areas of use of tin belt buckles. I saw an ad offering these recently, but have never seen any originals. Shoot, I never even knew they existed until I saw the ad. Thanks
    Sam Looney
    "Bowen's division sustained its reputation by making one of its grand old charges, in which it bored a hole through the Federal army, and finding itself unsupported turned around and bored its way back again" - Gen. Pemberton's chief engineering officer

Sam Looney
    1st Missouri Battalion
    Trans-Mississippi Brigade

CWPT

Re: Tin buckles

I agree i did not even know they existed until i saw an add for them i thought they were quite neat so i would like to know more as well.

BEN JENKINS
    Pvt. Benjamin N. Jenkins
    Muddy Water Mess

<b>Do NOT buy from this User</b>

Comment

Then see pp. 94-100 of "Confederate General Service Accouterment Plates" written by my old relic hunting buddy, Lon "Mickey" Keim. They are seen on several photos of NC Troops. The fellow that offers the repro makes a 1st Class copy. They ain't sexy, but they are Confederate. Yep, they're for real.
      Bob Williams
      26th North Carolina Troops
      Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

THey are correct. Even seen some on NC troops! I have a couple that will be up for sale soon, I am simplifying life. They are in Keim's book. If you are abuckle junkie, get the book, excellent. I sold my a few weeks back cause I needed the cash.

I can't remember who makes them off the top of my head, but they are exact, and right on to the originals!

The Mad Mick!
        Jeremy G. Richardson

Preserving History by Recreating the Past!

Comment

A number of quality vendors used to (and may still) install tin plated iron buckles on their wares. Butch Myers and Boyd Miles come to mind, and I'm sure others did as well.
          [B]Charles Heath[/B]
          [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Originally posted by roundshot View Post
            Then see pp. 94-100 of "Confederate General Service Accouterment Plates" written by my old relic hunting buddy, Lon "Mickey" Keim. They are seen on several photos of NC Troops. The fellow that offers the repro makes a 1st Class copy. They ain't sexy, but they are Confederate. Yep, they're for real.
            I did find that book on Amazon, but $200 for used is a bit of a budget buster for me. Will keep looking.
            "Bowen's division sustained its reputation by making one of its grand old charges, in which it bored a hole through the Federal army, and finding itself unsupported turned around and bored its way back again" - Gen. Pemberton's chief engineering officer

Sam Looney
            1st Missouri Battalion
            Trans-Mississippi Brigade

CWPT

Comment

The Price on the book is the going rate, if you can find it for under that, you should buy it if the bank allows! Well worth it. You may try to check with some of the online relic shops, as they tend to get them in from time to time when buying collections.

The Mad MIck!
              Jeremy G. Richardson

Preserving History by Recreating the Past!

Comment

Bob and anyone else,

Email me or PM me, I know who makes them! Would post the site, but it is not an approved vendor.

Comment

Guys,
                  Ive seen the buckles that Jeremy mentioned. There great, very simple buckles that I think look very unique in the ranks. Just something new and different.
                  Steven Brewington

Comment

Originally posted by easttnfed View Post
                    Bob and anyone else,

Email me or PM me, I know who makes them! Would post the site, but it is not an approved vendor.
                    Jeremy and others,
                    It is not a crime to say another vendor's name in a post even if they are not an approved vendor. Ben Tart and his fine cloth comes to mind. He isn't an approved vendor here but we all have clothes made of his cloth and know his quality well. Several approved vendors use his material. If you have any doubts use the "other vendors forum". Just becuse they are an approved vendor doesn't mean they have a monoply on authentic wares, and can't be spoken of here. As was stated in another post, Approved vendor status is not a rubber stamp. Research the item you want and shop for the best, most authentic, affordable gizmo available. Research, RESEARCH, RESEARCH!!! Is the key. For me Approved vendors mean, I don't have to shop as carefully for that item, and that item comes from a person who is has good reputation for customer service and is an honest dealer.

Bob shared with us this vendors name on our Regiments forum not to long ago. Unfortunately it has been taken off to create more space in the forum (or I'm to stupid to be able to retrieve it from archives) and if I could remember his name I'd put it out here. The Tin CS buckles are for real! They have been dug by relic hunters, Photos exist that show troops wearing them. As Bob said "They ain't sexy, but they are Confederate."

I'll get off my soapbox now! Thanks
                    [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                    Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                    [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                    Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                    Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                    The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

All,

I am the one mentioned in some of the above threads. I just did not want (just in case) to get a second strike against me here and that is why I was being so careful as to not give my site out on this forum publicly. I currently make the tin buckles that are mentioned in this thread. Thanks to everyone that has seen these buckles and have complemented on the way they look. I am pleased that I can make such a fine reproduction that everyone that sees them appreciate the way they look.

Comment

Working...
                      X