X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hampton Legion uniform- need help

To all:

Need some early war knowledge ya'll:

I need some help in this subject... perhaps a good website or pictorial reference, but I have been told by an OLD reenactor friend-of-mine that enlisted Hampton Legion, Company D (Gist Rifles) soldiers were issued: 1 pleated hunting frock for formal parade duties, 1 undress jaeger-style hunting shirt for warm weather, sky-blue trousers with a thin yellow stripe down the side to be worn with gaiters.

Can anyone set me straight or confirm this?

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd

From the "Cottonpickers Mess"
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Re: Hampton Legion uniform- need help

Johnny,

I recently secured off the AC, two soft back books on Hampton Legion, by Ron Field. One deals with the regimental history and one with individual companies.

Here is what the author says about the uniform of, Company D, Gist Riflemen. The information is brief:

The Gist Riflemen were originally described as wearing a "green, hunter-like, loose fitting coat" during the parade at Camp Chimborazo on 8 July 1861 (Daily Dispatch Richmond 1861). This is a probable reference to a pleated hunting shirt, similar in style to that adopted by the Richmond Volunteer Rifle Company (Co. A) and the Rhett Guard (Co. L) of the 1st South Carolina Volunteers, Gregg's.

There is a conjectural sketch of of a Company D private, in the book. I don't have a scanner, so I can't include a picture.
    Best Regards,

Jim Mitchum

Hamptons Legion, Co. G., Claremont Rifles
    Winstontown

"South Carolina is too small for a republic and too large for an insane asylum". ... James Petigru describing his native state in 1860

Comment

First off, Welcome HOme brother!

Second thing, in regards to Hamptons Legion, there is an image of a frock attributed to a soldier in Hampton's Legion in EOG. Sorry cant recall what page right now, but once I get home, ill check it and send it on, unless someone beats me to it.
      Robert W. Hughes
      Co A, 2nd Georgia Sharpshooters/64th Illinois Inf.
      Thrasher Mess
      Operation Iraqi Freedom II 2004-2005
      ENG Brigade, 1st Cavalry Div. "1st Team!"
      Iraq & Afghanistan Veterans of America

Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, "Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?"
      And I said "Here I am. Send me!" Isaiah 6:8

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyHughes View Post
        First off, Welcome HOme brother!

Second thing, in regards to Hamptons Legion, there is an image of a frock attributed to a soldier in Hampton's Legion in EOG. Sorry cant recall what page right now, but once I get home, ill check it and send it on, unless someone beats me to it.
        That would be the "Bomar Frock" on page 130 in EOG.
        Tristan Galloway

Comment

Mystery on this one...

Gents-

Yes. The Bomar frock was of a different company (Claremont Rifles, Company G) of Hampton Legion... I am of Company D- Gist Rifles. Same unit, different company... but thanks, though.

I have been reading in Ron Smith & Ron Field's book, Uniforms if the Civil War that:

"The Gist Riflemen of Williamston, in Anderson District, were wearing a 'green, hunter-like, loose-fitting coat' when they paraded in front of President Davis within the ranks of the infantry battalion of the Hampton Legion at Camp Chimborazo, near Richmond, on 8 July 1861."

That might be fine for parade for President Davis, but...

... in a battle-action sketch on page 145 of the book (presumably of First Manassas, since the Legion fought there as a whole unit on Henry House Hill) a Gist Rifleman is there wearing what looks like a jaeger-style battle shirt that is green in color.

My theory: Could there be a summer or undress uniform of a green battle-shirt and a dress or winter uniform of a pleated green hunting frock?

Any confirmation or denial anyone has seen?

Regardless, their equipment was heavily British, as according to General Hampton's biography, Hampton bought most all of his unit's equipment from England. They used two-band Enfields with sword bayonet. (For safety's sake and to conform to modern rules I use a three-band Enfield with regular bayonet.)

Thanks- Johnny Reb
          Johnny Lloyd
          John "Johnny" Lloyd
          SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Johnny,

My interpretation after reading Ron Field's work is that the various campanies kept their distinctive uniforms through 1st Manassass, but were given issue clothing sometime between that summer and winter. That would make a winter uniform for the Gist Rifles unlikely. My take was that most companies wore their pre-war militia uniforms, or lacking those, something that could be easily and quickly thrown together to make a uniform appearance. Militia companies really only got together for muster in good weather, so they really wouldn't have had a need for a winter uniform before the war. I don't think that a frock was issued in addition to the hunting shirt.

I also wound up wondering exactly what Hampton purchased to equip the Legion. It seems not to have been uniforms, or maybe just for a few companies, since they were all so varied. Or maybe he purchased them and they didn't arrive until later. To me, it seems likely he spent most of his money on arms and accoutrements.

Field's books on various SC regimental uniforms can be obtained at either the University of South Carolina, the South Carolina State Archives, and I think the Relic Room has copies, too. You could also try interlibrary loan if you can't make the trip to Columbia.

-John Christiansen
            PLHA
            John Christiansen
            SGLHA
            PLHA

Comment

Hello-

Thanks for the spirited discussion on this topic. Edward Longacre's Gentleman and Soldier: the Extraordinary life of Wade Hampton has good information on uniforms used by the Hampton Legion on pages 36-76. He notably states that in September of 1861, three months after the Legion took to the field that Gen. Hampton wrote Mary Fisher Hampton for her and friends to help clothe the Legion, as they were in dire need of replacement at this early stage of the war. He also says that Hampton wrote to his sister and her friends a thank you letter for the receipt of new uniform items, but as to what they received from Mrs. Hampton, Longacre does not mention. You should check-out the book. I got it at a secondhand bookstore in Maryland near where my wife lived.

Another take about my last post about the Legion: Ron Smith's Uniforms of the Civil War on page 145 shows a D Co., Gist Rifleman/Hampton Legion dressed in short white gaiters, light grey (sky blue?) pants with a thin, vertical yellow stripe, black leathers, white haversack, green battleshirt with no collar, and white muslin shirt w/collar that is seen peaking out from the battleshirt. He is armed with an 2-band Enfield w/sword bayonet.

I'm wondering how accurate this plate is. Yes, it's a modern drawing and those can be inaccurate, but could there be a divide between their uniform of the dress parade before President Davis at Camp Chimborazo on 8 July 1861 and what they exactly wore into First Manassas at the end of that month? Longacre seems to agree with the "veri-form" of the Legion when he says: " Given the preference of these prewar organizations [that constituted the Legion's beginnings] for natty and colorful uniforms not always suitable to active campaigning, it can be surmised that the legion, at least in its earliest weeks, displayed a variety of clothing and a full pallette of hues." (Longacre pg. 40)

So, bottom line... did they wear, or -could- they have worn, a pleated hunter frock coat OR a hunter-like battleshirt which could be considered to be "coat-like" to the firsthand observer on 8 July? Maybe they were just grabbing at stuff that was green as replacements for their original hunter frock?
              It's just a thought...

Just trying to nail this one down as accurately as possible. If anyone out there has original documentation pertaining to this from a 1st-hand account, I'd like to see it. Heck, if you have ANY good firsthand information on the Hampton Legion, I'd love to see it too. ;)

Ya'lls input? -Johnny Lloyd
              Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 07-19-2007, 09:36 AM.
              Johnny Lloyd
              John "Johnny" Lloyd
              SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Comrade,

I would offer, although it's purely from my own conjecture, my own opinion, etc, to bet that what they are refering to is actually the pleated frock of the style both MaHone and Buckner wore. That style is a traditional hunting style coat, popular from way before the war with Austrian and other troops (hence the jaeger title).

As to the rifles and accoutrements, I would feel confident that Hampton purchased not only the rifles and sabre bayonets, but English-pattern accoutrements to go with them. being the businessman he was, he would've been likely to strike a deal for an entire package of equipments, and buying them overseas would've solved the supply program rather than searching the state for what he needed.

One other thought. It would've been very easy to take those pleated front coats and remove the tails to make short jackets from them if the situation warranted.

Respects,
                Tim Kindred
                Medical Mess
                Solar Star Lodge #14
                Bath, Maine

Comment

The Portraits of Conflict: South Carolina volume might be worth picking up as well. It is chock full of some nice images.

There are several pleated frocks seen therein, though I don't recall any units off the top of my head.

My two cents,
                  Fred Baker

"You may call a Texian anything but a gentleman or a coward." Zachary Taylor

Comment

Mr. Kindred and all-

I'm with you on the Buckner pleated frock style. It was my thought too. This must be certainly what they wore, but with a dark green hue. That's in EoG. A friend of mine and I had the debate when we saw it and that must be it unless there are any other styles out there. As of yet, I don't know of any. If anyone has pics of an Austrian pleated jaeger jacket other than the Buckner frock from EoG, please post the link for public knowledge.

As far as the English accouterments, the book by Longacre I mentioned previously says that Hampton contracted privately with an "English maker" for his soldier's leathers. Most certainly Enfield pattern stuff- 2-band 'Zoave" muskets with sword bayonet (although 3-band Enfields COULD be used in this case too- we just don't know) That would mean Enfield cap pouches, (mount on cartridge box sling?), cartridge boxes and English belts (s-curve buckle?)

If Hampton did contract with an English manufacturer, then he most certainly would have had a trail of invoices for shipping from England via blockade runner. (Could they be part of the McRae Papers and we don't know about it due to lack of ID of "recipient-of-goods"?) Maybe we need FedEx on this one... ;)

Also, would the stuff be of white buff leathers, russet or black in color? Hmmm... don't know if we'll know that one for sure.

As to the above discussion: Is the "green battle shirt" theory out? Guess so... If that, then Uniforms by Ron Field is incorrect on page 145???

Thanks- Johnny
                    Last edited by Johnny Lloyd; 07-19-2007, 06:21 PM.
                    Johnny Lloyd
                    John "Johnny" Lloyd
                    SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny Lloyd View Post
                      As to the above discussion: Is the "green battle shirt" theory out? Guess so... If that, then Uniforms by Ron Field is incorrect on page 145???

Thanks- Johnny

Regarding Field's book; It is loaded with data, and I've found it a handy reference, but in some cases it is not entirely accurate, and some conclusions are suspect. As an example, in the Florida chapter, he quotes A.J. Neal's letters regarding the outfitting of the Marion [FL] Light Artillery in "cheap" pants and shirts if no other cloth could be found. I noticed this did not jibe with other accounts of the Marion Light's outfitting in 1862. I located Neal's letters, and on reading them found he was not refering to the Marion Light Artillery at all, but Capt. Powell's Company of the 1st Florida Infantry CSA. (though Neal did later join the Marion Light later in the war). Best bet is to check Field's bibliography, find the data, and make your own conclusions.

James "Archie" Marshall
                      James "Archie" Marshall
                      The Buzzard Club (Saltmakers for the south)
                      Tampa, FL

Comment

Sir-

Yes, I'm beginning to see Field's body-of-work get hazy on some points, but I feel he also uses "educated conjecture" (ie - see also "best guess") when fact seems to run out or get hazy in certain highly specific ways. Can't blame him to a degree...

The Longacre book leaves us -some- room to interpret the Co D uniform of the Legion because he says that the summer was spent with the whole Legion wearing a "variety" of uniforms and that some were reissued uniforms or other goods by Hampton's family female acquaintances (an unofficial soldier's aid society) sometime in early fall 1861. I'm still digging into this one, but it looks to be likely so far from the 4 books I have been reading on the subject of early war militia uniforms.

I have just bought a copy of Stephen Elliott Welch of the Hampton Legion edited by John Michael Priest. It is the story of a member of the Legion- Charleston Zoave Cadets, Company H of the Legion and NOT Gist Rifles. All 1st person accounts through his own words! Awesome! This will be of great help in understanding the Legion.

I don't know, but a really good impression of the Charleston Zoave Cadets (Company H of Hampton Legion) would be awesome for 1st Manassas. Don't you agree? ;)

Already of note- Welch in his letters home refers to Hampton Legion as "Hampton Legion" all the way into 1865. Previously, I had a debate with a friend of mine some time ago that the Legion ceased to exist after it was absorbed into the Greater ANV as of mid-1862 and thereby referred to as their larger unit's designations... hmm.

Thanks- Johnny Lloyd
                        Johnny Lloyd
                        John "Johnny" Lloyd
                        SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

John,

On the "for what it's worth" department: You might want to check out some of the histories of Hood's Texas brigade, especially thise dealing with the period up through Antietam.

As you know, the infantry companies of Hampton's Legion were attached to the brigade, along with the 18th Georgia, plus the 1st, 4th, and 5th Texas.

It's certainly ancillary material, but Poley's works, as well as all of Harold Simpson's books, do offer a lot of information about the Legion. It might not be what you are looking for, so muh, but you never know. I have most everything published about the Brigade, and when I get some time I'll do some looking about to see what sorts of comments there are about them, especially "D" co.

Respects,
                          Tim Kindred
                          Medical Mess
                          Solar Star Lodge #14
                          Bath, Maine

Comment

Working...
                          X