Interesting Hat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Hat

The pictures I have posted were taken at the Texas Civil War Museum, here in Ft. Worth, TX.

I have not seen a style such as this before, and was wondering if anyone might know something about it?
    Respectfully:

Kevin Dally
    Attached Files
    Kevin Dally

Re: Interesting Hat

Looks like a fez.
    Perhaps it belonged to a zouave.
    Or it could have been a private purchase smoking cap worn in camp.
    Nick Buczak
    19th Ind

[url]http://www.allempires.com[/url]

Comment

I'm having doubts to it having been worn by a soldier from Mississippi. I don't believe there were any Mississippi units that were near the base of Big Round Top. Perhaps it belonged to someone from Alabama or even Texas?
      [SIZE="2"][FONT="Georgia"]Matt Reardon[/FONT][/SIZE]
      [FONT="Trebuchet MS"]"River Rat Mess"[/FONT]
      8th Connecticut Volunteers

[B]Executive Director
      New England Civil War Museum
      Rockville, Connecticut
      [url]www.newenglandcivilwarmuseum.com[/url][/B]

Comment

At first glance, I thought it was the distinguishable headgear of the 54th Ohio Volunteer Infantry (2d Ohio Zouaves). But after looking back at some images, it would seem that there are noticeable differences. Plus, the 54th was a western theatre of operations unit and were not at "the G'burg."

I'm leaning more towards the home-procured hat theory that Nick mentioned, as well. But it just comes to show that people weren't shy about wearing this impeccable stuff!
        Attached Files
        Jason C. Spellman
        Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

It appears to be a private purchased hat to me. As stated before it could be some sort of flamboyant Tam. The star leads me to beleive it may have belonged to a Texan.
          Andrew Turner
          Co.D 27th NCT
          Liberty Rifles

"Well, by God, I’ll take my men in and if they outflank me I’ll face my men about and cut my way out. Forward, men!” Gen. John R. Cooke at Bristoe Station,VA

Comment

Likewise, I don't believe any Mississippi regiments found themselves at the base of Little Round Top.

To me, it resembles some kind of fraternal hat or fez. Of course, in the absence of any other documentation, we must go with the stated provenance, but I wonder if this hat has any real battle connection at all.

Eric
            Last edited by Dignann; 07-02-2007, 03:59 PM.
            Eric J. Mink
            Co. A, 4th Va Inf
            Stonewall Brigade

Help Preserve the Slaughter Pen Farm - Fredericksburg, Va.

Comment

Working...
            X