Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Painted End Stripes-Gettysburg "US" blanket?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painted End Stripes-Gettysburg "US" blanket?

Hello,

Does anyone have any information on the "US" blanket on display at GNP that I believe has painted end stripes? I read in a past article somewhere ("The Watchdog" maybe) that the blanket there, or elsewhere, has painted end stripes on the blanket!

If it is indeed there or the end stripes are painted on:
    - What color are they?
    - Approx. width?
    - Are they even across the body?
    - Is there a US sewn in the middle?

...any info would be great.

Thanks a bunch
    James Ross

Re: Painted End Stripes-Gettysburg "US" blanket?

James,

Contact Pat Kline of Family Heirloom Weavers. He was going to reproduce it at one time I seem to recall. Mike Vice who was the former curator at the Gettyburg museum was working with Pat at one time and that may have been his connection. I think they chose not to reproduce it since it is such an oddity.
    Last edited by Charles Heath; 07-01-2007, 01:47 PM. Reason: Fixin' Mike's name.
    Matt Woodburn
    Retired Big Bug
    WIG/GHTI
    Hiram Lodge #7, F&AM, Franklin, TN
    "There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness."

Comment

James,

Sometimes, Depression Era gov't issue blankets will be passed off as CW relics, particularly the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) blankets in gray or blue-gray with painted black end stripes approximately 3" to 4" in width. These blankets are still fairly common, and while this is probably not what G'burg has in their collection, it's a fact worth mentioning. Ironically, the Veteran's Administration (VA) was issuing double woven butternut and brown blankets about that same time.
      [B]Charles Heath[/B]
      [EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]heath9999@aol.com[/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Spanglers_Spring_Living_History/"]12 - 14 Jun 09 Hoosiers at Gettysburg[/URL]

[EMAIL="heath9999@aol.com"]17-19 Jul 09 Mumford/GCV Carpe Eventum [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="beatlefans1@verizon.net"]31 Jul - 2 Aug 09 Texans at Gettysburg [/EMAIL]

[EMAIL="JDO@npmhu.org"] 11-13 Sep 09 Fortress Monroe [/EMAIL]

[URL="http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Elmira_Death_March/?yguid=25647636"]2-4 Oct 09 Death March XI - Corduroy[/URL]

[EMAIL="oldsoldier51@yahoo.com"] G'burg Memorial March [/EMAIL]

Comment

Thanks for the replies so far! I will contact FHW.

Does anyone know right off hand what color the stripes are?
        James Ross

Comment

Earlier today while at Don Troiani's I viewed an original blanket brought home by Edgar Yergason, 22nd Connecticut Infantry, that was a light blue-gray color with dark brown end stripes and a sans-serif "US" painted in the center with black paint.

What's funny is that while I was at Pat Kline's mill on Friday night we were discussing the exact same topic as this one. Pat was telling me about the original that he and Mike Vice examined several years ago and gave me his impressions, then mentioned that a reproduction might have been too much for the reenacting community to accept. However, it seems to have been done to some extent and both the Gettysburg and Troiani Collection blankets exhibit some form of painting.

The reason for painting a "US" or stripes onto a blanket? Perhaps the contractor was in a hurry to fulfill their contract and had only the plain material on hand so decided to paint the missing features. Perhaps they farmed out the actual blanket weaving to others, who then neglected to include the appropriate stripes?

Brian White
          Wambaugh, White, & Co.
          GHTI
          Brian White
          [URL="http://wwandcompany.com"]Wambaugh, White, & Co.[/URL]
          [URL="https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517"]https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wambaugh-White-Company/114587141930517[/URL]
          [email]brian@wwandcompany.com[/email]

Comment

Hmmmm! Seems to pose even more questions!!!

Were both sides painted with stripes?
            James Ross

Comment

If anyone's going to Gettysburg this weekend, would it be possible to get a photo from the VC or if they're going to the Kline's annual sale, hit them up on this blankie for me??? I sent him an email and I take it he's busy prepping for the sale.

I'd appreciate it!
              James Ross

Comment

Working...
              X