Corduroy Pants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Corduroy Pants

It seems hard to tell if these trousers are civilian or not. It has always been my belief that coruroy was a popular material for Federal officers' trousers. Many of my well-researched Federal officer friends have incorporated coruroy trousers into their impressions. If part of the basis for the theory that the colonel's trousers are civilian is their lightness in color, that might be explained by fading. Unlike modern corduroy, corduroy of the mid-19th Century was very prone to fading and would quickly turn from a Dark Blue to almost a white. Either way, it's just another thought.

Kyle Wichtendahl

Comment

Good Evening, Kyle -

My research is focused on citizen's clothing, so I can't speak to the accuracy of corduroy for military use. I am interested in your comment: Unlike modern corduroy, corduroy of the mid-19th Century was very prone to fading and would quickly turn from a Dark Blue to almost a white.

I've examined the LOC high resolution photo under magnification and I don't see evidence of fading. A garment that has faded will show some variations in color, especially around seams and areas shielded from the sun. I don't see that variation in this garment, which appears even in color throughout. Is there something I'm missing?

I'd also be interested in learning more about any primary documentation you may have on the differences between period and modern corduroy and the length of time it takes for fading to occur. I've not personally found that information in my research on period textiles, dyes, and dyeing techinques. How did you determine the garment was originally dark blue and had faded to "almost white"?

Regards,
      Last edited by Carolann Schmitt; 07-04-2007, 07:58 AM.
      Carolann Schmitt
      [email]cschmitt@genteelarts.com[/email]
      20th Annual Ladies & Gentlemen of the 1860s Conference, March 6-9, 2014

Comment

Carolann,
        You have examined this photo much closer than I have and have considerably higher expertise so I will take your word for it that these trousers are not faded. I was not meaning to say that I necessarily thought that these trousers were in fact an example of Dark blue corduroy that has faded; I merely meant to offer one possible thought as to why a Federal officer might be wearing light-colored corduroy trousers.
        As far as primary documentation goes, I do not have any close at hand, but I will be seeing several of my previously mentioned friends tomorrow and I will ask them about about their sources again. At least one of them is a really sharp and well-researched guy and I'm sure he will be able to point me to his sources on the fast-fading corduroy dye.
        Thanks for your input and I'm sorry if was a bit too ignorantly presumptuous about the trousers.
        Respectfully,
        Kyle Wichtendahl

Comment

Thanks for your reply, Kyle, and for asking your friend to share his documentation. I'm always looking for new information for my files.

Regards,
          Carolann Schmitt
          [email]cschmitt@genteelarts.com[/email]
          20th Annual Ladies & Gentlemen of the 1860s Conference, March 6-9, 2014

Comment

Laced "Boots"

I wonder if those are just an exceptionally muddy set of camp shoes?
            Kind Regards,
            Andrew Jerram

Comment

I could be wrong but did not most civilian stuff have cloth covered buttons? IE noticing that the buttons on the breeches had them.

Comment

I've come across a few references to Officers wearing corduroy trousers including Colonel Theodore Lyman's description of General John Buford "... His ancient corduroys are tucked into a pair of ordinary cowhide boots ..."

I was under the impression though that "corduroy" of the mid 19th century was different than modern day corduroy, not just a difference in fabric, but visibly different in appearance as well. To my eye the fabric in the photo looks more or less the same as the corduroy you see today.

Perhaps one of our clothing and fabric experts can shed a little more light on this?

Thanks,

Mike Nugent

Comment

Can anyone shed some light as to sources for this period corduroy today? And what's the difference between period and modern corduroy? Other than the synthetics, of course.
                  [SIZE=2][/SIZE][FONT=Arial Narrow][/FONT]Stephen Lewis
                  A Homeless Mess
                  [FONT=Arial Black][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1]Two hydrogen atoms walk into a bar. One says, "I think I've lost an electron." The other says "Are you sure?" The first says, "Yes, I'm positive." [/SIZE] :D [/COLOR] [/FONT]

Comment

Another pair of corduroy trousers for you, plus some cool subdued insignia. I know we discussed the identity of the Lieutenant a while ago, but I don't have it handy at the moment.

From LC-DIG-cwpb-04013, "Bealeton, Virginia. Company I, 93d New York Infantry Officers and non-commissioned officers" August 1863.
                    Attached Files
                    Jason R. Wickersty
                    http://www.newblazingstarpress.com

Received. “How now about the fifth and sixth guns?”
                    Sent. “The sixth gun is the bully boy.”
                    Received. “Can you give it any directions to make it more bully?”
                    Sent. “Last shot was little to the right.”
                    Received. “Fearfully hot here. Several men sunstruck. Bullets whiz like fun. Have ceased firing for awhile, the guns are so hot."

- O.R.s, Series 1, Volume 26, Part 1, pg 86.

Comment

Those are some fancy slippers he has on
                      Russell L. Stanley
                      Co.A 1st Texas Infantry
                      Co.A 45th Mississippi
                      Co.D 8th Missouri (CS)
                      Steelville JayBirds Mess

Comment

Working...
                      X