Contract Sack Coat sizes..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Contract Sack Coat sizes..

Guys, I see authenticity discussions about materials and workmanship, but what about authenticity of fit? While looking around to get a new sack coat made, I noticed that everyone wants to tailor these repro's to your exact measurements.. The question is, How many sizes did the original coats come in and was there any tailoring done to them when issued? Did you rarely find a coat that fit perfectly? Thanks..

Tom Ragno
    Tom Ragno

Re: Contract Sack Coat sizes..

4 sizes,

size 1: 36

size 2: 38

size 3: 40

size 4: 42

Jurgitem Valetem
    Thanks,
    Patrick Skeese
    "[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="6"]Jurgitem Valetem[/SIZE][/FONT]"

Western Federal Blues

[url]www.westernfederalblues.org[/url]

[url]www.30thovi.com[/url]

[I]"Of all the words both tongue and pen, the saddest of all are what might have been.---[/I]

Comment

Hallo!

TYpically, Sizes 1-8, and for arsenal/depot made fatigue blouses as well. Issuances were in Size 1-4. Anything over or under, was requisitioned through such as Schuylkill Arsenal's "Special Clothing Bureau.' (How often that was done, and how long it took if ever, for the special size to arrive is another
      story).

The Size 1-4 comes from the common Federal issuance system of not issuing garments according to a man's size, but rather the man's place in the distribution line. Men were then expected to alter or tailor to size, pay someone skilled to alter or tailor if they could not, swap with another man for a better fitting size, or try to wear the garment as best one could.

Blouses were typically delivered to the Government in batchers of say 50, 75, 100, or
      150. Typically, these were bundled in bales of 100 in the usual ratio of:

20 Size 1
      40 Size 2
      30 Size 3
      10 Size 4

The Quartermaster Department thought Size 2 (38 inch chest among other measurements) was a "common" size.

I am 5' 10" and 170-175 pounds, with a 42 1/2 chest. I wear a Size 4. However, I once wore a Size 3 for the "look. And once "cheated" and wore a "Size 44" to look "frumpy." But for CW purposes, I am in the smallest percentage being "large."

"While looking around to get a new sack coat made, I noticed that everyone wants to tailor these repro's to your exact measurements.. "

IMHO, that varies according to one's Mental Picture as well as possibly where one is on the F/M/C/P//H/A scale. So, I would not say "everyone." ;) :)

Others' mileage will vary...

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

There were some "contact" sack coats in sizes 5-8 made towards the end of the war but very few in number (source CRRC2).

To get around the problem order a coat one or to sizes large. That's what I did with the WW coat I recently acquired and since it was an "off the shelf" product it is a little baggy and the arms are too short.

So it doesn't look like it was made to fit me.
        Last edited by Bob 125th NYSVI; 07-06-2007, 09:21 AM.
        Bob Sandusky
        Co C 125th NYSVI
        Esperance, NY

Comment

My sack coat made by Brandon Jolly (Saint Louis Depot) fits extremely small on me, but I am also looking for a jacket that fits a little better, It just sucks not having range of motion in your arms because the sleeves are so tight.

Originally posted by tomp40 View Post
          Guys, I see authenticity discussions about materials and workmanship, but what about authenticity of fit? While looking around to get a new sack coat made, I noticed that everyone wants to tailor these repro's to your exact measurements.. The question is, How many sizes did the original coats come in and was there any tailoring done to them when issued? Did you rarely find a coat that fit perfectly? Thanks..

Tom Ragno

Brett "Homer" Keen
          Chicago
          [I]"Excessively spirited in the pranks and mischief of the soldier"[/I]

OEF 03-04 [I]Truth Through Exploitation[/I]

Comment

Working...
          X