Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1849 Pocket Pistol Questions

Gents,
    I am interested in purchasing an 1849 Pocket Pistol, and I have come across some different barrel lengths in pictures and online articles. Does anyone have a good reference as to which barrel lengths were the most popular? I've looked, I really have...

Kind Regards,
    Kind Regards,
    Andrew Jerram

Re: 1849 Pocket Pistol Questions

It would all be up to the buyer's discretion. You would find the pistol that would fit your needs.
    Now, if you are talking about the Colt 49 pocket revolver, most of the repros are 4", and will have alot of modern markings. If you are going with repros then you are going to have deal with what there is on the market.
    Bryce Seyko
    Co. H, 104th Illinois Vol. Inf.

Comment

The four inch barrel is considered most representative "type" of the 1849 Colt pocket pistol by collectors.

Source: American Handgun (magazine) Jan 2001
      Last edited by Craig L Barry; 07-06-2007, 09:16 AM.
      Craig L Barry
      Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
      Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
      Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
      Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

I would think with a pocket pistol you would want one that fits your needs. If you need a hide away gun then the shorter the barrel the better.

Comment

According to Shumaker (1966), there was an even production distribution of 4, 5, and 6 inch barrel lengths and the lowest in production was the 3 inch barrel. So, if production is and indication of popularity, then you will be well suited with a 4, 5, or 6 inch barrel on your Colt '49 pocket pistol.

Cordially,
          Sam Patterson

Comment

Folks,

For questions like this one of the best sources of information to turn to is Flayderman's Guide to Antique American Firearms. These books are not expensive considering the information provided. Amazon currently sales these for $34.94. Flayderman covers all American made firearms of the period.

According to Flayderman, as said in a previous post, the most common barrel lengths were 4, 5, and 6 inches. 5 and 6 shot cylinders were originally offered.

Magazine articles tend to have mistakes, most are written for the general public and do not go into the detail collectors' sources do.
            Last edited by JimKindred; 07-25-2007, 06:44 AM.
            Jim Kindred

Comment

Andrew,

I've been looking for one as well. From what I've found 4" is the most common repro. Uberti makes a 4 " variant that has markings hidden under the loading lever with serial numbers underneath in front of the trigger guard. At one time Uberti made a 6" model. All that is offered now is the 4". Most vendors I have spoken with have the pistol on back order.

Rick Atwood
              Rick Atwood
              23rd Reg't
              Va. Vol. Infy

Comment

The one I dug up in my yard in the deep south in 1975 (with an 1857 serial number) had a 4 inch barrel. I know a friend that dug one in a CS cavalry camp outside Savannah alond with CS plate had a 4 inch barrel.

I built mine from a kit 20 yrs ago to match above and shoots well.

Roger Hansen

Comment

Working...
                X