Overalls in the field?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overalls in the field?

I have just recived a pair of overalls i was gonna use for a few civilian events but i was curious how accurate if accurate at all would this be for early war. Any chance that these may have been carried and worn during the winter. Sent from home. Worn into battle early war. I dont know so i was just throwing it out there. I checked the search engine didnt find any awnsers. Thanks (now just to add i do not plan on doing so but i think it would be neat to know if there are any accounts of it being done)

BEN
    Pvt. Benjamin N. Jenkins
    Muddy Water Mess

<b>Do NOT buy from this User</b>

Re: Overalls in the field?

I don't know of any records of men wearing them, but I would assume they would at least be fine for a civy impression. Probably they'd be o.k. for early war use among Confederates. The design was aroudn in the 1700s and quite common by the time of the Civil War. I have seen some pictures of slaves and white boatmen and farmers wearing them from the era.
    http://http://www.npr.org/programs/m...lls/index.html
    Here's a link about them.
    Last edited by ; 07-20-2007, 03:20 PM. Reason: Add a link

Comment

retry that link it should be

Brett "Homer" Keen
      Chicago
      [I]"Excessively spirited in the pranks and mischief of the soldier"[/I]

OEF 03-04 [I]Truth Through Exploitation[/I]

Comment

Thanks, for the info. I thought it would be neat to have during the winter months to wear over the clothes. I will do my reading and see what i can dig up appreciate it guys. Thanks

BEN
        Last edited by MuddyWaterMess; 07-20-2007, 03:45 PM. Reason: miss spelling
        Pvt. Benjamin N. Jenkins
        Muddy Water Mess

<b>Do NOT buy from this User</b>

Comment

From all I know is it's a lower class status thing, so if your portrayal is a soldier who is above that status I'd imagine he'd avoid wearing something like this. The people of the 1860s were very much into fashion, it's not like today where folks have huge wardrobes, back then clothes ment a lot because you didn't have a lot of outfits... well unless you were really really wealthy.

Brett "Homer" Keen
          Chicago

Comment

Another thing to think about is this is "work clothes" not "town clothes" or "traveling clothes" the wear of a garment like this to town I doubt was as acceptable as it became in the 1900s
            I'd stress finding documentation of it happening in the file prior to doing it. I'd be very interested if you could find this!

Brett "Homer" Keen
            Chicago

Comment

Other than the white canvas overalls issued to US Engineers, I can't recall any reference to overalls among soldiers. Since overalls don't cover the most cold sensitive areas of your body very well (sides of the chest and shoulders) I would not pick such a garment for the cold as the extra layer. Better to have the homefront send an overcoat, extra shirt or extra blanket.
              Soli Deo Gloria
              Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Ben,
                The one thing to remember is that overalls went OVER ALL your clothing, so it was something to wear while working in a field or something more along the lines of physical labor.

That being said, I've seen reference to overalls being issued to CS troops, I believe it is in "Cadet Gray and Butternut Brown" among a few other sources, although those notes are buried under Chickamauga, Stone's River and 6th Mississippi regimental research.
                Patrick Landrum
                Independent Rifles

Comment

Originally posted by DougCooper View Post
                  Other than the white canvas overalls issued to US Engineers, I can't recall any reference to overalls among soldiers. Since overalls don't cover the most cold sensitive areas of your body very well (sides of the chest and shoulders) I would not pick such a garment for the cold as the extra layer. Better to have the homefront send an overcoat, extra shirt or extra blanket.
                  Doug, the engineer overall are something I have been thinking about lately, but have not had the time to research them much. Do you know of any source material that may give examples of original U.S. engineer overalls? I am probably missing something obvious.

Thanks.
                  ~ Chris Hubbard
                  Robert L. Miller Award Winner No. 28 May, 2007
                  [url]www.acwsa.org[/url]

Comment

A form of "dress" overalls were used as regular soldier uniforms in the Rev-War. I am not sure whether or not any early war companies brought the attire into the Civil War, but there are references to Rev-War styles as companies evidently tried to mimic the "romance" of the Rev-War. That would be something neat to research to see if it was done.

Comment

I think it's worth mentioning that 18th century overalls were nothing like the bib overalls we associate with the word. 18th c. overalls were essentially trousers that narrowed down the leg and ended in a built in pair of gaiters/spats. They protected your hose and shoes, both of which were expensive, and showed wear easily. They didn't cover the torso. If you wanted your upper body clothing protected, you wore a smock. The NPR article is a little sketchy on the 18th century origins. I have never seen a pair of 18th century bib overalls, but the above combination occurs frequently in period artwork.
                      Rob Weaver
                      Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
                      "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
                      [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Rob I disagree, some overalls did cover part of the torso, absolutely. True isn't not like the carhardts or others of today, but they had the fronts covered.

Brett "Homer" Keen
                        Chicago

Comment

Not in the 18th century. The article of clothing we now refer to as "overalls" weren't called that until sometime in the 19th century.
                          Kind Regards,
                          Andrew Jerram

Comment

I am not saying that all the info is 100% and Speedy or Chris please add on,but if you look at the pattern by Past patterns#910.It covers (overalls ) from about 1812 to 1915.It has a bibliography and you can backtrack with it to do further study.Maybe this will help you find your answer.Also you can find specs in the 1865 Q.M. manual.
                            Kiev Thomason
                            a.k.a. King Corn:baring_te
                            WIG
                            Armory Guards
                            Forest Park Lodge #399
                            Forest Park GA.

Comment

Working...
                            X