Confederate manufactured "CS" tents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate manufactured "CS" tents?

Were tents made by the Confederacy with “C.S.” woven into them? How common was this? Has anyone ever seen or found similar documentation suggesting their manufacture or use? If so, what would they have looked like? I submit the following for your thoughts and comments:

According to a book written by Edwin Bears (BATTLE OF, SIEGE OF JACKSON, Gateway Press, Baltimore, 1981) when Grant took Jackson Mississippi during the campaign on Vicksburg, upon occupation of the city, Grant and Sherman apparently walked into a cloth factory engaged in the business of making tent cloth with “CS” woven into it. Using excerpts from Grant’s Memoirs in the book Bears relates the following.....

”During the morning (the 15th) Grant and Sherman visited a large textile factory owned by Joshua dn Thomas Green. The plant manager and the employees, most of whom were women, simply ignored the presence of the two generals and went on working . Looking on, the officers saw the ten-cloth the women were making roll out of the looms with C.S.A. woven into each bolt. Grant meditated on this industrious scene for a few minutes, then turned to Sherman and suggested that the girls had done work enough. The employees were told that they could leave and take with them all the cloth they could carry. It finally dawned on one of the Green brothers that the plant was going to be destroyed. He hastily appeared and remonstrated to the Federals basing his appeal on the fact that his factory “gave employment to very many females and poor families, and that, although it had woven cloth for the enemy, its principal use was in weaving cloth for the people.”
    Sherman, no doubt remembering the C.S.A., decided that “machinery of that kind could so easily be converted into hostile uses that the United Stated could better afford compensate the Messers, Green for their property, and feed the poor families thrown out of employment, than to spare the property.” The factory was burned"

By the way, for those that lament the wholesale destruction and tragedy of Sherman’s “March to the Sea” in the fall and winter of 1864/65, I might note that Sherman got ample incendiary/destructive practice in his march across Mississippi in early 1864. He did his work well. From Vicksburg to Meridian nearly every town was burned and there are virtually no Antebellum structures surviving today. In fact, Jackson alone was burned no less than three times earning the nickname “Chineyville” for its post war stark forest landscape of burnt chimneys .
    Sorry had to add the above. We Mississippians tend to get lost in the wake of the infamous “March to the Sea.”

Ken R Knopp

Re: Confederate manufactured "CS" tents?

The account suggests the "CSA" markings were on the bolts of "tent cloth" being made for the government. My guess is that it was just to mark the bolts as CS property and not the finished tents, etc.

James "Archie" Marshall
    James "Archie" Marshall
    The Buzzard Club (Saltmakers for the south)
    Tampa, FL

Comment

There is no mention whether the markings were every 10 ft, 20 ft, etc or just one at the end to mark the whole bolt as government property. However, I believe more things were marked CS than we believe. In early 80s I was looking though Beverly Bubose collection in his home (before donation to Atlanta Historical Society) and noted that there were very faint black letters CS on the light cover of a tin canteen. I brought to Bevely's attention and he had never noticed before because it was very faint and worn (he probably had over 20 CS canteens). The letters were extremely uniform and did not appear to be a field application.

We will not get an answer. Like all the research on enlisted uniforms - it will never come to conclusion. Even though more will come to light in the future, there were over 600,000 enlisted men in CS and we judge their jackets based on perhaps 50 in existence. However, using detailed review of photos has really helped.

Roger Hansen

Comment

Ken - If you have any way of contacting Mickey Black in Salisbury NC I would recommend doing so. Not only is he very knowledgeable of period milled goods such as this it seems that Salisbury was a dumping ground near the end of the war for piece goods. I have have read several primary accounts of Rebs paroled there going home toting yards of cloth for comfort, barter or trade.

Wish I could be of more help.
        Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 07-21-2007, 03:16 PM.
        B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Working...
        X