Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ben Tart or County Cloth?

Hi everyone,
    I was browsing around today on the web, just looking at different fabrics,mostly by Ben Tart and County Cloth, and it got me to wondering.... which has the edge over the other? I thought it would be interesting to hear a few thoughts and maybe your personal preferences, or maybe you like neither..i would like to hear some of your feedback!
    Drew Lane
    Drew Lane

Re: Ben Tart or County Cloth?

Originally posted by Ghostrider_58 View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I was browsing around today on the web, just looking at different fabrics,mostly by Ben Tart and County Cloth, and it got me to wondering.... which has the edge over the other? I thought it would be interesting to hear a few thoughts and maybe your personal preferences, or maybe you like neither..i would like to hear some of your feedback!
    Drew Lane
    Mr Lane - this is not a zero sum game, so not sure what you mean by "which (who) has the edge over the other?" Both are outstanding, and indeed are 2 men who have made correctly reproducing period textiles their life's work, and the hobby is in their debt, big time.

Order the cloth that you believe most closely matches what you are trying to reproduce. There are plenty of choices.
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Comrade,

Neither one. Both have excellent products and you would be well served by either maker.

I would suggest that a better course of action would be to examine what your specific needs are vis-avis material, and then ask for samples from both vendors.

Respects,
      Tim Kindred
      Medical Mess
      Solar Star Lodge #14
      Bath, Maine

Comment

Pard,

As far as customer service goes, I have never had a problem with either. County Cloth does take a while to fill fabric orders, but it has never been outrageous and Mr Childs is very up front about the wait. Not to mention he is very prompt at returning emails and calls, and seems more than happy to answer questions. Ben Tart has always been extremely fast to fill orders in my experience. It has been a while since I ordered from there, but I highly doubt the high customer service as deminished.

Which to choose has to be based on the project. I cannot speak for Ben Tart clothing kits, but can say that County Cloth's are an extremely good buy. i recommend getting the fabric swatches and see it all for yourself.
        [FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Jason Huether[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
        Lazy Skinner's Society

[I]If the Republic goes down in blood and ruin, let its obituary be written thus: "Died of West Point."[/I]
        Brig Gen James A Garfield, 1862

Comment

I have ordered cloth from both and have been extremely satisfied! Either would be a great choice depending upon your needs.

My last order from County Cloth was made on a Thursday and the material of choice arrived on Monday...can't get much better than that. Of course, it is always nice to inquire as to the availability of your chosen material before an order is placed.

J
          [FONT=Times New Roman]H. L. "Jack" Hanger[/FONT]
          [I]"Boys, if we have to stand in a straight line as stationary targets for the Yankees to shoot at with a rest, this old Texas Brigade is going to run like hell!"[/I] Chickamauga, 1863

Comment

Hi again,
            I am not trying to trying to find which maker is the most authentic and i am not trying to buy any fabric right now. I have a jacket made out of County Cloth material and love it. I thought it would be interesting to hear people's personal preferences...just out of curiosity.
            Drew
            Drew Lane

Comment

That kind of opinion on cloth is like asking whether someone prefers a Lexus or a Cadillac = they are both "high end" models with lots to like. Each vendor makes slightly differing goods at times, at it will only depend upon what kind of project you have as to which one is better. I'll echo most of the early sentiment from this thread and that is that both have oustanding material, both offer a decent level of customer service, and both have done their homework when it comes to period methods and material culture.
              Ross L. Lamoreaux
              rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Drew, don't forget to sign your full name. Go ahead and set your signature line with your options. I have to agree with the others that it really depends on who has what when you are looking to purchase material, a kit, or the finished garment.
                Herb Coats
                Armory Guards &
                WIG

Comment

Herb, thanks for the info. I just set my signature, hopefully it will work... I believe both are excellent vendors, my mobile mystery jacket is made of CC FG jean, with Ben Tart lining and thread... After reading Ben Tart's site about vegetable dying as the most authentic choice,i didn't know if CC did this so it made me curious about people's personal preferences.
                  Drew Lane

Comment

Drew, the big question is always "piece dyed or yarn dyed"? That in itself should be one for debate.

Mark Berrier
                    North State Rifles
                    Mark Berrier

Comment

The question is an interesting one. It might be best answered depending on the type garment vs which draper to choose. If you want an article already made up, and it is for an ANV or NC Confederate impression, Ben Tart offers primarily Richmond and NC Depot jackets, NC sack coats and jean wool trousers, while Chas Childs (County Cloth) has a wider variety including Richmond Depot, NC, Columbus Depot, Dept of Alabama and Tait.

If you want a garment for a Federal impression, Ben Tart offers a fatigue blouse kit or blue flannel cloth by the yard, while Chas Childs has a good variety of patterns ready made and also do it yourself kits. Childs is quite a bit more expensive and advertises a six-month wait for a finished garment.

As far as the cloth used, Ben Tart fabrics are all single lot vat dyed with natural or vegetable based dye-stuffs, one strand cotton thread vs plied. Because of this, they fade naturally with exposure to sunlight. As Ben Tart puts it, single vat vegetable dyed cloth "offers an excellent insight into colors of the period." I have found this to be the case in terms of the various cloth samples we have had a chance to evaluate. County Cloth has not submitted any samples for evaluation by The Watchdog.
                      Last edited by Craig L Barry; 07-23-2007, 02:28 PM. Reason: clarity
                      Craig L Barry
                      Editor, The Watchdog, a non-profit 501[c]3
                      Co-author (with David Burt) Suppliers to the Confederacy
                      Author, The Civil War Musket: A Handbook for Historical Accuracy
                      Member, Company of Military Historians

Comment

Mark, Could you tell me more about "piece dying or yarn dying"?
                        Drew Lane

Comment

Piece dyed fabric is woven fabric immersed in a dye bath before it is cut and sewn.

Yarn dyed fabric uses yarn dyed before it was woven into a fabric and then cut and sewn.

I hope this helps.

Mark Berrier
                          North State Rifles
                          Mark Berrier

Comment

Originally posted by Enfilade View Post
                            Piece dyed fabric is woven fabric immersed in a dye bath before it is cut and sewn.

Yarn dyed fabric uses yarn dyed before it was woven into a fabric and then cut and sewn.

I hope this helps.

Mark Berrier
                            North State Rifles
                            http://www.northstaterifles.com
                            And trying to determine which method was used after 145 years is often problematic, when sun, sweat, dirt, time, cotton vs wool and type of dye weighs in.
                            Soli Deo Gloria
                            Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

Dear Sir
                              I've never used county cloth, but I do have a NC uniform made from Ben Tart's jean wool and I can speak good of it. The thing I like about his NC shell is that it is based on a jacket in a museum. The quality of the wool is good. I ran the uniform through the mill this last weekend and was kinda hard on it and it held up. I would recomend that one not just choose on others opinions, but try both before coming to a conclusions.

Sincerly
                              Mr. Aaron Fletcher
                              F&AM Taylorsville #243 TN

Comment

Working...
                              X